UFC Interim Title Leaders?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm curious if anyone knows which UFC champion has had the most 'interim' champions during their reign.

Currently Khabib has had 2 interim champions while he has been champion (Poirier and now Gaethje) and Tony was interim immediately before Khabib got the belt.

I think Brock also had Mir and Carwin as interim champions during his reign.

Connor had Ferguson as his interim at 155 and Aldo as his interim at 145, but I don't think they overlapped.

I can't think of anyone else who would have had 2 or more, but I wasn't very big on UFC in the early days. If you know any please share !

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There weren't many back in the day, I don't think anyone has been involved in more than a couple. I think you've nailed the key recent ones.

There are actually a few good articles that go over the history of UFC interim belts but you'll have to search a bit. They've definitely been much more common recently.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
There weren't many back in the day, I don't think anyone has been involved in more than a couple. I think you've nailed the key recent ones.

There are actually a few good articles that go over the history of UFC interim belts but you'll have to search a bit. They've definitely been much more common recently.
I feel like they're more common now just to increase PPV sales.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I feel like they're more common now just to increase PPV sales.

Sometimes, for sure. There's also guys jumping between weight classes which causes divisions to stall.

I feel like if we looked at the last 10 interim belts we would get 6 or 7 different reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad