GDT: UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs. Pettis

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
All the props to Pettis. He's fought nothing but killers since he lost his belt and it's been a rough go. To call out Wonderboy in the class above and then go and be the first person to ever KO him is damn impressive. I couldn't believe he was content just to stand with Wonderboy, though. Pettis has a good submission game and was having trouble with that jab. I'm not sure he can hang long term at 170, but good win for him.

Glad Blaydes won. Willis's bully act leading up to this fight was obnoxious. If you're going to play that role, especially when your opponent is a pretty respectful, reserved guy like Blaydes, you've got to do better than 27-30, 26-30, and 25-30. Just a complete ass whopping.

Barber was getting it handed to her in the first round, but she adjusted well and got the finish. Being able to go to plan B is important. It's not always going to be smooth sailing. Getting through that adversity shows something about her.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pettis has always been one of my favorites so it was pretty cool to see him get that finish. I don't like his chances vs most of 170lbs but hopefully he just picks his spots and puts on some fun fights.

Dominant win by Blaydes in a snoozer. Formiga with a great gameplan too.

Time to slow down the Maycee Barber hype train. Got the win but looked awful for much of the fight.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pettis is a fun fighter, and always has been. Blaydes is...meh. I don't know that he has anything for the JDS/Ngannou (obv)/Stipe tier of the division.

I dunno about looking awful for much of the fight. She's 20 years old and has a bit of a hole in her game that her opponent was exploiting, but she was still moving well otherwise and landing strikes in the first round, she just was just playing into the opponent's gameplan and wasn't really ready for that since she's mostly steamrolled opponents to this point. JJ is pretty tough, and a solid striker. The important thing was that Maycee regrouped, changed it up and dominated the 2nd round with an altered approach. I think that is pretty impressive.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah, Barber was pretty candid in post fight interview. She says she knows that she has to clean up the weak spots and not leave her chin exposed like that. She offered no excuses for the first round. But when asked what she did differently in the 2nd round, she stated the first round she fought southpaw, and it didn't feel natural to her. So the 2nd round she went back to orthodox and it suited her much better, judging by the finish.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pettis is a fun fighter, and always has been. Blaydes is...meh. I don't know that he has anything for the JDS/Ngannou (obv)/Stipe tier of the division.

I dunno about looking awful for much of the fight. She's 20 years old and has a bit of a hole in her game that her opponent was exploiting, but she was still moving well otherwise and landing strikes in the first round, she just was just playing into the opponent's gameplan and wasn't really ready for that since she's mostly steamrolled opponents to this point. JJ is pretty tough, and a solid striker. The important thing was that Maycee regrouped, changed it up and dominated the 2nd round with an altered approach. I think that is pretty impressive.

Considering she is being touted as the top WMMA prospect, was fighting an unranked fighter and she has plans to be the youngest champion in UFC history it was not ideal. She also didn't look in great shape.

She has some serious work to do on her feet before she can think about fighting Shevchenko. I'm still excited to see her work her way up the division, I just think we should pump the brakes a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad