GDT: UFC Fight Night: Santos vs. Teixeira

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
One of the only UFC fights I ever watched live when I was younger was Sylvia getting his arm snapped

That may be worse for me but this was GROSS

Never seen this one. Holy shit, he was actually pissed at Herb for stopping it.

Amazing what an adrenaline dump will do for a person. His arm f***ing snapped and he's like, "Why you stopping the fight?"

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Amazing what an adrenaline dump will do for a person. His arm f***ing snapped and he's like, "Why you stopping the fight?"

eventually I believe he ended up thanking Herb, just not then lol

I know he had a bunch of problems with that arm afterwards, pretty sure he had a GoFundMe because the screws were coming out and his arm was infected

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Herb Dean talked about it on his interview with Joe Rogan which every MMA fan should listen to. Same with Big John McCarthy's interview with Rogan, especially if you're interested in early UFC stories.

Reactions: CDJ

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I was really impressed with Glover. And I know he got clipped twice in the very brief time they were standing, but the resiliency to battle through it to ultimately secure takedowns was really something.

Santos was obviously saved by the bell in the 2nd, and perhaps I'm in the minority, but if he would've TKO'd Glover there in the 3rd that would've been incredibly disappointing.

How is Santos a BJJ blackbelt? I know Glover's great on the ground, but Santos looked absolutely helpless outside of doing a decent job of avoiding huge damage.

And I know it's not scientific, but we've now seen Weidman take Reyes down in under thirty seconds, and Glover absolutely ragdoll Santos essentially at will. I know Jones for whatever reason didn't attempt many takedowns against Santos, but he did against Reyes and had no success with either. It feels like nitpicking when the guy still has never really lost, but we're seeing other LHWs starch opponents that Jones is squeaking by.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was really impressed with Glover. And I know he got clipped twice in the very brief time they were standing, but the resiliency to battle through it to ultimately secure takedowns was really something.

Santos was obviously saved by the bell in the 2nd, and perhaps I'm in the minority, but if he would've TKO'd Glover there in the 3rd that would've been incredibly disappointing.

How is Santos a BJJ blackbelt? I know Glover's great on the ground, but Santos looked absolutely helpless outside of doing a decent job of avoiding huge damage.

And I know it's not scientific, but we've now seen Weidman take Reyes down in under thirty seconds, and Glover absolutely ragdoll Santos essentially at will. I know Jones for whatever reason didn't attempt many takedowns against Santos, but he did against Reyes and had no success with either. It feels like nitpicking when the guy still has never really lost, but we're seeing other LHWs starch opponents that Jones is squeaking by.

In terms of being on the ground, I just think Glover is much thicker & stronger than Santos. These are the kind of fights where you see the size difference and why Santos fought at 185lbs. Santos had the massive speed advantage on the feet but as you said it was great resiliency by Glover to battle through it. It was just a bad matchup for Santos which is why it was shocking that the odds were how they were when each guy had an obvious path to victory.

I don't know how to factor Jones into it all, other than to say I think at this point there is mounting evidence that the division has caught up with Jon Jones and it's only a matter of time before he loses. He is in the exact same spot that GSP was when GSP retired where it was obviously he had lost a step. GSP retired and preserved his legacy but I don't think that will happen with Jones.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGDDYKWL and CDJ

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I caught an older Glover fight the other day and it reminded me of this. The round where Santos was very clearly saved by the bell, that should be a 10-8. I know whether or not a guy is saved by the bell is subjective, but all judging is to a degree. If a fighter loses a round and gets saved by the bell that should be more than a 10-9 IMO. It's very rare so it's not like I'd go crusading for this type of scoring, but it's warranted IMO.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Basically just saw that happen last weekend with the first round of the co-main. Ferguson got saved by the bell and the 3 judges all gave that round 10-8 to Oliveira

I’m inclined to agree with you

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->