GDT: UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Volkov

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Didn't think Overeem would get worked like that. Tough night as a fan, but those are big wins. Sandhagen is a nightmare for that whole division.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Overeem made a mistake earlier in his career by bulking up...

He's so slow... if he had stayed lean and light, his striking would've been so much more effective

The trade off was probably worth it for him. Overeem was always good but he lost a bunch of fights and got finished by high level fighters when he was younger and lighter. He then took his career to another level in both MMA and kick boxing after he started juicing. Now he's paying the price not only due to his age and wear and tear but having to fight clean (probably).

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The trade off was probably worth it for him. Overeem was always good but he lost a bunch of fights and got finished by high level fighters when he was younger and lighter. He then took his career to another level in both MMA and kick boxing after he started juicing. Now he's paying the price not only due to his age and wear and tear but having to fight clean (probably).

I disagree...

Similar to Jon Jones, Overeem had the perfect physique to be a 205er

bdd4ea6713291ea890328ce6f009e133.jpg

And he may have been finished a lot in his younger years, but he's also been finished plenty of times at HW as well...

He has an 11 - 8 record in the UFC... with all 8 losses being by KO or TKO

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
205 was the best division around when Overeem moved over to the weakest one. Made sense.

He's a pretty smart guy and has done a great job prolonging his career by taking fights against weaker opponents in the last 5 to avoid the long skids. The results haven't been there vs top competition for quite some time.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's done, but I could also see him taking one fight with fans in attendance. Wouldn't mind seeing a JDS rematch or something like that.

Reactions: Avs_19

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
205 was the best division around when Overeem moved over to the weakest one. Made sense.

He's a pretty smart guy and has done a great job prolonging his career by taking fights against weaker opponents in the last 5 to avoid the long skids. The results haven't been there vs top competition for quite some time.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's done, but I could also see him taking one fight with fans in attendance. Wouldn't mind seeing a JDS rematch or something like that.

Even if you think moving up to HW was the right call, he bulked up too much...

Stipe fights at what, 230? 235? Cro Cop and Arlovski were about the same...

Wasn't Overeem having to cut weight at one point to make the 265 limit?

Strikers don't need mass, they need speed, quickness, agility, flexibility... bulking up hinders all of those

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Remember when bouncers harassed Overeem for not having enough change to pay the toilet person and then he put 5 of em in the hospital?

Reactions: 16Skippy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Disappointing showing from Overeem. He looked sloooooooow and didn't seem to have much of a strategy once Volkov was able to break the clinch. HW is weak and Overeem has still really only loss to the top guys. Volkov is probably his 'worse' loss in the last 5 years. If he wants to stick around, he could probably still pick up some wins, but he was talking about this being his last run for a title. Didn't happen and wouldn't happen against the Stipe's, Francis's, etc. anyway, so I'd like to see him hang them up. Still don't really know what to make of Volkov.

Scary KO from Sandhagen. Great hightlight, but scary. Hate to see anyone that badly hurt let alone someone like Frankie.

Guida and Johnson have some of the most confusing resumes ever.

Good win for Dariush. Not sure about his ceiling, but I think he's close to it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I disagree...

Similar to Jon Jones, Overeem had the perfect physique to be a 205er

And he may have been finished a lot in his younger years, but he's also been finished plenty of times at HW as well...

He has an 11 - 8 record in the UFC... with all 8 losses being by KO or TKO

Even if you think moving up to HW was the right call, he bulked up too much...

Stipe fights at what, 230? 235? Cro Cop and Arlovski were about the same...

Wasn't Overeem having to cut weight at one point to make the 265 limit?

Strikers don't need mass, they need speed, quickness, agility, flexibility... bulking up hinders all of those

He was fighting in the best division in MMA at the time and had lost three straight. He then went to HW and lost once in his next 14 fights. He also won the K-1 title during that run at HW. So I'd say he made the correct call at the time. His losses in the UFC doesn't change that considering he was in his 30's at the time and no longer able to freely use PEDs like he obviously did in his prime.

Other than Stipe and Browne, none of the other fighters he has lost to in the UFC are the lighter and quicker HWs either so I'm not sure if being too heavy hurt him all that much. He also won the K-1 Grand Prix, which might be the highest level of striking there is, while being at his heaviest and most muscular. I don't think there was any going back for him and getting smaller after that period where he was overseas injecting himself with anything and everything that could help.

Reactions: m9

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I missed some of the earlier fights and just saw this morning that Johnson got 30-27'd by Clay f***ing Guida. You gotta be kidding me.... I can't believe how far this guy has fallen. This is the same guy that beat Tony and Dustin at one point in his career. What the hell happened?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I missed some of the earlier fights and just saw this morning that Johnson got 30-27'd by Clay f***ing Guida. You gotta be kidding me.... I can't believe how far this guy has fallen. This is the same guy that beat Tony and Dustin at one point in his career. What the hell happened?

In all honesty I thought he won round 2, but he definitely lost the fight

I think the Khabib and Gaethje fights took years off of his career. He’s been fighting at a high level for a long time but the damage he took in those fights seem to have done in him. The Emmett KO was bad too

Reactions: I am not exposed

member 51464

In all honesty I thought he won round 2, but he definitely lost the fight

I think the Khabib and Gaethje fights took years off of his career. He’s been fighting at a high level for a long time but the damage he took in those fights seem to have done in him. The Emmett KO was bad too
I did not even realize until looking just now, but Johnson is 3-9 in his last 12!

Reactions: CDJ

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Johnson another case of a talented fighter with no toolbox. Guy was quick, strong, hit hard and was a decent enough wrestler. Just didn't have that dedication and fight intelligence to get to the next level, but he was dangerous to anyone in his prime because of his tools.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->