Viewing: FS1, TSN 5

MAIN CARD (FS1, TSN 5)

Welterweight bout: Neil Magny vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
Featherweight bout: Ricardo Lamas vs. Darren Elkins
Light Heavyweight bout: Khalil Rountree Jr. vs. Johnny Walker
Middleweight bout: Cezar Ferreira vs. Ian Heinisch
Bantamweight bout: Guido Cannetti vs. Marlon Vera
Catchweight (118 lbs) bout: Cynthia Calvillo vs. Poliana Botelho

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, Fight Network/UFC Fight Pass)

Welterweight bout: Michel Prazeres vs. Bartosz Fabiński
Flyweight bout: Alexandre Pantoja vs. Ulka Sasaki
Featherweight bout: Humberto Bandenay vs. Austin Arnett
Welterweight bout: Laureano Staropoli vs. Hector Aldana

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Lightweight bout: Devin Powell vs. Jesus Pinedo
Featherweight bout: Nad Narimani vs. Anderson dos Santos​

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not much to get excited about here.

Rountree gets a bump because of his win over Saki, but still not sure how much upside he has.

Lamas v Elkins is a grinder v grinder fight. I expect Lamas to win, but Elkins has made me look bad before.

Really hoping Ponzinibbio can win this fight because he's an exciting guy at 170lbs. Good matchup there.

Other than that.. you can probably skip this one.

Wasn't there someone around here who thought Cynthia Calvillo was the next Rousey or something like that?

Reactions: SimR and Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Not much to get excited about here.

Rountree gets a bump because of his win over Saki, but still not sure how much upside he has.

Lamas v Elkins is a grinder v grinder fight. I expect Lamas to win, but Elkins has made me look bad before.

Really hoping Ponzinibbio can win this fight because he's an exciting guy at 170lbs. Good matchup there.

Other than that.. you can probably skip this one.

Wasn't there someone around here who thought Cynthia Calvillo was the next Rousey or something like that?
Dunno. Does Dana post here?

Agreed there's no much here. The main and co-main are fine enough fights, but not something worth staying in for on a Saturday night or anything. Another one where I'd prefer if they consolidated into another Fight Night/PPV.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dunno. Does Dana post here?

Agreed there's no much here. The main and co-main are fine enough fights, but not something worth staying in for on a Saturday night or anything. Another one where I'd prefer if they consolidated into another Fight Night/PPV.

There was definitely some guy running around here claiming how awesome Calvillo was.

Anyways on the subject of her, pretty scary weight cut yesterday. Again, a great example of why more divisions are helpful but if the fighters aren't going to do their part it's a tough spot. She could barely walk, got naked, and could still only get to 118lbs. Why are you not fighting at 125lbs if this is such an issue? I just don't get it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pros react to Cynthia Calvillo’s frightening weigh-in miss for UFC Argentina

It's going to take a fighter dying before they fix this issue. Literally can't even function as a human being, yet she's going to fight tomorrow night? Jesus, this is bad. Hard to watch. And all for a perceived advantage that's been shown to be false.

It's stupidity on the UFC's part to not have someone in charge of this and even more stupid on the part of fighters who are risking their lives.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's stupidity on the UFC's part to not have someone in charge of this and even more stupid on the part of fighters who are risking their lives.

Absolutely. I don't absolve the fighters in any way shape or form at all. They have plenty of culpability in this. I do believe that the sanctioning body or the organization themselves have to step up now and do something as the fighters have continually shown they won't do the right thing. The UFC needs to mandate safe weight cut guidelines (like an overall cut based on a safe percentage of their starting weight) and if someone is trying to squeeze themselves into a division they truly don't belong it, it needs to be stopped.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Absolutely. I don't absolve the fighters in any way shape or form at all. They have plenty of culpability in this. I do believe that the sanctioning body or the organization themselves have to step up now and do something as the fighters have continually shown they won't do the right thing. The UFC needs to mandate safe weight cut guidelines (like an overall cut based on a safe percentage of their starting weight) and if someone is trying to squeeze themselves into a division they truly don't belong it, it needs to be stopped.

The UFC can pay someone 100k a year and have the problem fixed. Flag fighters when they miss weight and then figure out what weight they should be fighting at.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ponzinibbio is definitely someone to watch but I'll probably watch it Sunday morning so I can skip through. The worst part of some of these cards is that they have six fights on the main card and still start them at the same time. That's a long ass time to wait just to watch one fighter.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
CSAC seems to be doing something about the weight cutting issue but really the UFC should've been on top of this years ago. We've already seen many fighters hospitalized due to cutting to much weight and with the way things are trending it's only a matter of time before someone in the UFC dies like it has happened in other organizations.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This ended up being a really good main card.

Ponzinibbio never gave Magny an inch right from the start of the fight. Nice win for him and it's time for a step up in competition.

I don't know if the mics were loud or the arena was just too quiet but you could hear a lot of shots very loudly on the broadcast. That elbow Walker landed on Rountree was just brutal.

Reactions: td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->