GDT: UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Anders

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fair enough, I'll rephrase it to more about going after the UFC than Dana, but, since Dana speaks on behalf of all the UFC, he's the one who's going to get the criticism. And when he makes a posts praising a fighter who had no business in there to begin with -and a lot of the replies to his posts were saying just that- while at the same time criticizing the ref (albeit deservedly), the post itself comes off looking like it's trying to deflect the glaring mismatch and their own culpability in it all.

End of the day though, Cachoeira wasn't seriously hurt and hopefully this will be enough for commissions to send Yamasaki to the regional circuit for a few months. So all's well that ends well.

It's a tough spot for White - if he ripped his matchmaker or fighter publicly he would get heat for that for sure.

I think he handled it fine publicly, and even had some rare praise for the fighter. Hopefully in private he had a word with Shelby.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
How was that Shevchenko fight even sanctioned..?

It was the former 135 lb title challenger (who IMO beat Nunes) moving down a weight class and fighting a UFC newcomer. That was maybe the worst mismatch I've ever seen in the UFC and those types of one sided beatings give the sport a bad look.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's a tough spot for White - if he ripped his matchmaker or fighter publicly he would get heat for that for sure.

I think he handled it fine publicly, and even had some rare praise for the fighter. Hopefully in private he had a word with Shelby.

Don't know if you heard what he said on UFC Tonight. I get it if he's mad a ref, pretty easy to say "he messed up, it's not the first time, and he needs to go back to the minors." But he's spitting rage, straight up rage, like he's the dad that went after Larry Nasser. Something makes me think he's doing that to take any attention off the mismatch.

Then again he also said to expect some mismatches in Flyweight in its infancy, so I'll just chalk this one up to Dana being Dana. Maybe Mario f***ed Dana's favourite ring girl, and that's what has him so triggered.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yamasaki should've stopped the fight in the first round after Cachoeira ate elbow after elbow. Her corner is at fault as well because not only was she getting lit up but she also tore her ACL in the first round and when she told them, they told her not to worry about the knee and just go fight. It was bad all around.

As for Dana, he's rightfully pissed because Yamasaki is an incompetent ref. Hopefully he's right about this being the last time Yamasaki refs a UFC fight. I don't think he's trying to cover for himself or the UFC because of the match-up either, he's just speaking the truth. This has been building for some time......

White blasts referee for late main event stoppage

Dana White eviscerates Mario Yamasaki after early Kevin Lee-Michael Chiesa stoppage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad