GDT: UFC Fight Night: Grasso vs. Araujo

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is definitely the main event I care about the least this year so far.

Ladd/Dumont took title that in 2021.

Reactions: td_ice

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Quick one for Menifield. Cirkunov probably isn't ufc calibre at this point.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Good lord....those leg kicks.

Puts Cub down twice, second time, he couldn't get back up.

Martinez with a great performance.

The rare, TKO from leg kick.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty much how I expected it to go for Cub. Martinez varied his strikes up and that was an awesome leg kick TKO.

Skills are there for Martinez but I don't like his fight IQ. Makes odd decisions in terms of when to grapple/clinch.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Kinda went the way I expected. Not the most eventful fight but thank Gretzky we've moved on from Jessice Eye and Betche Corria calibre WMMA fighters headlining cards.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Main event happened, uneventful

Lets just hope for an equally uneventful week leading up to 280. Don't need any weight/injury surprises

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Grasso did well to handle the grappling exchanges against a girl who looked physically much bigger and stronger, but the striking was not as one-sided as you'd hope for her. I think Cruz made a good point about there not really being any feinting which led to them just standing in the pocket and trading. Won her this fight, but I think she'd be in trouble against anyone else ranked higher than her.

Not the way Cub drew it up, I'm sure. That kick for Martinez is an A+ weapon for him. That thing lands very heavy, but yeah, not convinced he's a serious contender.

Didn't see it, but good for Assuncao. Probably needed that win to avoid getting cut. At 40, should probably be thinking about going out on top anyway, but he probably hasn't made a ton of money in his career.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I swear the finish rate on these woman's ESPN main events is like 10%. Not that it means all those fights were bad, I'm just not finding them overly compelling. I'll look back but Andrade on Lemos is the only finish I can remember recently.

Add: Looked back and Andrade is the only finish in the last 12 fights for female ESPN main events. Aug 2019 when Weili won the belt was the previous one.

Not really sure the reasoning but it's definitely not a good sign for the product. Lots of bad fights in there too.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Grasso did what she needed to and I actually think her striking is solid when he puts some of those combinations together. I realize there aren't many contenders for Valentina but man, that's going to go really bad for Grasso if that is indeed the next fight. I could see that being a fight where Valentina decides to take it to the ground and just bully her with her superior strength.

Martinez looked great. Some of that might have to do with Cub just standing in front of him and not doing much for a large portion of the fight but those kicks were brutal. Made him buckle 2 or 3 times from just leg kicks before eventually finishing it.

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad