GDT: UFC Fight Night: Gane vs. Volkov

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
49-46 Gane for me. Looked fine in there.

Volkov just has some nights where he looks pretty bad, and this was one of them. He's the ideal gatekeeper for the top of 265.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Gane worked him. I missed round 1 but had 2-5 for Gane. 4 was close for a bit but Gane pulled away with it towards the end of the round.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
So I guess this was an early card :laugh:

Saw Gane won by UD, so probably won't even bother watching. Kind of what I expected, but Volkov's a good name to have on your resume. Gane vs. Stipe while they are sorting Francis-Lewis? Don't have any idea what to expect with Jones, so just keep everything else moving in the mean time.

Reactions: Avs_19 and 16Skippy

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gane is just really good. It'll be interesting to see what someone with a better grappling game could do but he's so quick and manages distance so well that I think it'll be tough to get in close do that. He'd likely make them pay for trying as well as soon as they get in range. I'd love to see him fight Stipe next.

It's always good to see Boser get it done.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Both Stipe and Gane should wait to see what happens with Lewis v. Ngannou. The UFC is going to want options after that fight to use against Jones like they did with Lewis here and either Gane or Stipe is a good choice for next title shot.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Both Stipe and Gane should wait to see what happens with Lewis v. Ngannou. The UFC is going to want options after that fight to use against Jones like they did with Lewis here and either Gane or Stipe is a good choice for next title shot.
I think it's the opposite.

As it stands now, the UFC doesn't really have any other options after Lewis. Stipe needs a win after getting steamrolled the way he did and Gane has a couple nice wins in a row, but hasn't really made a statement. They have options, I guess, but none of them are particularly strong options.

If they were to fight each other, then you could say "OK, Stipe is back" or "Damn, Gane is for real." Then they would have 1 really strong option to play Jones off of.

Reactions: I am not exposed

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I missed this card live.... please keep the later start times.

Boser didn't look like he grabbed the fence at all to me on the replay, it's okay to put your hand against it. He had a really good fight against OSP, rocked him a few times. Volkov looked off and Gane didn't show too much, both guys seemed really conservative.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I think it's the opposite.

As it stands now, the UFC doesn't really have any other options after Lewis. Stipe needs a win after getting steamrolled the way he did and Gane has a couple nice wins in a row, but hasn't really made a statement. They have options, I guess, but none of them are particularly strong options.

If they were to fight each other, then you could say "OK, Stipe is back" or "Damn, Gane is for real." Then they would have 1 really strong option to play Jones off of.

I think a win vs Volkov is pretty decent statement.

Volkov was dominating Lewis and was seconds away from a title shot not so long ago.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I think people are only saying Gane didn’t show much because he didn’t KO Volkov. He just displayed pretty elite boxing, especially for a heavyweight, that is basically getting disregarded because we’re used to KO in the heavyweight division. The fact that his boxing is this elite in such a short time presents a problem for the entire division , save maybe Ngannou because this new Francis is pretty much untouchable

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->