GDT: UFC Fight Night: Felder vs. Dos Anjos

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Pretty stupid of Paul to have taken this on short notice. Losing to an unranked dude doesn't help your waning title shot aspirations. Foolish career management.

It was a high-risk, high-reward move for him. Hardly foolish, he just had to balls to take it. Peculiar attitude to hold towards someone who saved a main event fight on short notice.

And others have addressed it but referring to RDA as "an unranked dude" is a bit dense. The only reason he's unranked is because it's his first fight back at 155 after fighting at 170 for the past 3 years. If Felder won the fight it would have probably been the biggest win of his career.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
No, calling him an unranked dude in the context of the weight class they are fighting at, WHERE HE IS NOT RANKED, is 100% accurate. Yes, he was champ at LW, and lost the title about four and a half years ago. For reference, on that date, Khabib's most recent fight was against Darrell Horcher.
Right, it's accurate, but it's disingenuous. I don't get why you're putting down RDA. Dude is a well respected fighter who has been fighting the best of the best for the better part of a decade. It's not unusual for ranked guys to fight ranked guys when they change weight classes even if they "aren't ranked" in the new division, especially when they have some name value like RDA, especially, especially when they were the champ in that weight class.

Whether it was smart for Felder to take it on short notice, I don't have a strong opinion on it. If he won, he's right back in line with guys like Hooker and Oliveira to fight some of the bigger names like Gaethje, Tony, Poirier, unranked Chandler, etc. But at the same time, I don't really think he is championship caliber anyway. He's good and he's a tough SOB, but he's not an elite fighter. So if he gets a nice payday from the UFC and earns some respect from the UFC, other fighters, and the fans, who cares if he loses? If he wants to keep fighting he'll likely get someone in the #10-15 range...basically in the same spot as he was 9 months ago when he lost to Hooker.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It was a high-risk, high-reward move for him. Hardly foolish, he just had to balls to take it. Peculiar attitude to hold towards someone who saved a main event fight on short notice.

And others have addressed it but referring to RDA as "an unranked dude" is a bit dense. The only reason he's unranked is because it's his first fight back at 155 after fighting at 170 for the past 3 years. If Felder won the fight it would have probably been the biggest win of his career.
Is it even high risk? I mean, getting into a cage with another trained killer could always be high risk, but in terms of his ranking, I don't think it matters. He was out for 9 months coming off a loss. His next fight was always going to be against someone lower in the rankings. Losing to RDA on short notice doesn't really change that. He said it himself, but he really had nothing to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad