GDT: UFC Fight Night: Covington vs. Woodley

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Interesting, Dana didn't commit to Maia being the next up against Khamzat, Maia still hasn't accepted that fight. Seems like that's not as locked as in as we thought it was.

smart move by Maia to wait until this fight was over to decide if he’s gonna put pen to paper or not

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Khamzat, Dern, Costa, Jackson with the POTN

Dana said he and cowboy need to have a conversation :(

that dudes not gonna hang em up unless he’s forced to unfortunately

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He’s basically mad at athletes for bringing politics into sports while being an athlete bringing politics into sports lol

great fighter, complete idiot.

I do hear great things about him and his work with the military though so kudos to him for that

Not really the same thing.

I don't think he's calling out democrats. He's calling out a particular movement that in some cases(not all) has resulted in a lot of riots, damage and escalation towards innocent people and police officers.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
They better not give this clown a title shot, it’s easy to dominate a fighter who has mailed it in on the verge of retirement. They should sacrifice Colby to Chimaev. Chimaev will be ready for him an hour after he runs through Maia.

So we should take back Burns title shot too? I mean, he beat woodley to get the title shot.

Colby did very well his whole career and his recent loss in memory was against the champ in a close fight till round 5.

Why wouldn't he get another title shot?

Not only did Dana White say Chimaev will not jump too high too quick it also serves zero benefit for anyone in top 5 to fight him. They paid their dues to get there, why take a fight with all risk, no benefit? Even if they win, they'd beat someone who doesn't get their rank up.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Gotta be Covington vs. Edwards now. Neither one is getting the next title shot or the Masvidal fight.

It's simple.

Burne vs Usman is a lock.

So these fights after or at same time.

Covington vs Masvidal OR Usman
Edwards vs Masvidal OR someone completely different.

I don't think Masvidal deserves a rematch more than Covington. So he either fights edwards or colby for next spot.

Colby vs Edwards is pointless. Colby is better off waiting for next shot. The storyline is there and all.

Edwards has beef with Masvidal.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not really the same thing.

I don't think he's calling out democrats. He's calling out a particular movement that in some cases(not all) has resulted in a lot of riots, damage and escalation towards innocent people and police officers.

Agree to disagree on that one.

Great night of fights overall, would have had no problem shelling out money for that as a PPV

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Woodley is tough. But like....man, if you have zero interest in fighting, why do it? In these last few fights he has looked something worse than listless.

Also, how shitty does that loss for Till look now that time has gone on? It is one thing to lose to the champ and say he was the best in the world. But now it is like....he got beat by an absolute bum who doesn't seem to have any reason to be in the octagon.

I mean, now everyone will say Woodley is done and yada yada to give Colby no credit but Woodley is still good, but he's going through the motions.

Tyron is no longer a fighter. He has no killer instinct. This is a guy who declared himself the GOAT at WW, started going on TMZ, releasing a rap album, is a fight analyst and does the occasional movie.

Tyron woodley's fight mentality was to lead him to success and now he has it. He has 2-3 if not 4 different jobs waiting for him that don't involve him taking a beating.

Does he have the skills? Does he have the physique? yes to both. He CAN do it but he's no longer doing it because he's a fighter. He's doing it because of his brand. Having "UFC Champ" gets you a bigger paycheck on your movie appearances, on TMZ and all that. It gets you free shit, endorsements, etc...

It is clear as day Tyron is fighting for the brand and not because he's a fighter. The skills are there but fighting is a chore for him, not something he is passionate about. Unless that changes he is done but it does not make him any less dangerous IF he changes his mindset. At 38 though, clock is ticking.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Agree to disagree on that one.

Great night of fights overall, would have had no problem shelling out money for that as a PPV

As you wish.

It definitely was a fantastic card. Solid. I would've been devastated if this main event was on a bigger card and only a 3 rounder. These fights deserve a 5 round match. Same with Colby-Masvidal should it happen.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As you wish.

It definitely was a fantastic card. Solid. I would've been devastated if this main event was on a bigger card and only a 3 rounder. These fights deserve a 5 round match. Same with Colby-Masvidal should it happen.

completely agree

It’s not something they do often with non-title fights but I could see them trying to headline a PPV with Colby-Masvidal

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Dana said he thinks Woodley should retire. I think he's done.

Unless he comes to fight, he is done.

I think if he fought a fighter with less pressure who he could gain some momentum with his skills would show but honestly the book is out and all the top guys in the division are pressure fighters.

Reactions: CDJ

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Covington sure is an impressive fighter. But my god he's got to be the cringiest human being on the planet. If I was any one of those people he calls out, I would laugh my ass off so hard I'd probably suffer a rib injury as well.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Main event was predictable and boring. The only thing that was a little bit surprising to me was that Colby wasn't more active in the first 3 rounds but it was still another clean sweep against Woodley with a possible 10-8 thrown in. Woodley is absolutely cooked. I don't see how anyone could suggest otherwise. We knew it going in. This was his last hurrah to see if he could muster some fight against a bad blood rival. He didn't. It's not just that he's losing. It's how he is losing. I don't want to see him fight again...for a couple of reasons.

Colby did what he had to do. Usman-Covington was a good fight, but he was down on the scorecards and then got finished. A win over checked out Woodley doesn't get him another crack at it IMO. Covington-Edwards should happen next, but I could also see Covington sitting out until after Usman-Burns and then getting the next shot. Wouldn't like it, but I could see it. They don't like the champ sitting around waiting for other contenders to fight and Covington will be the next highest ranked coming off a win.

Cowboy-Price, good fight minus the eye pokes, but this is the biggest sign yet that Cowboy's time is coming to an end. Losing to Tony, Gaethje, and Conor is whatever. He was fighting the cream of the crop, although the Conor fight was rather disappointing. Took a step down to Pettis. I thought he beat Pettis, but what do I know. Took another step down to Price and basically lost. Eye pokes can change a fight, but those eye pokes weren't especially bad and didn't seem to effect him. I have no problem taking the point, but Cowboy got lucky for that. It was at least competitive and he was actually coming on in the 3rd there so I still don't think he is as cooked as Woodley, but the number of guys I 'd want to see Cowboy fight is shrinking. Maybe they run it back to get a real end? I'd still like to see Cowboy-Nate 2, but I doubt Nate takes that fight.

Chimaev, what can you say? When the biggest criticism is that we didn't get to see enough because you knocked him out too fast, it was a good night. The Maia fight would be fine, I guess, but I'd rather see an exciting opponent next. Maybe Luque or even Price.

Johnny Walker got the W, but not the most confidence inducing W. It's good to see he can battle through some adversity, but he hung on there by the skin of his teeth.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also for the record I’m betting on Colby. I may not like him but my wallet doesn’t play favorites! I think his style is perfect to beat Woodley. He’s probably going to completely overwhelm him with volume

less volume than I expected in the first 3 rounds and he was still overwhelming him

Yeah, Woodley needs to hang them up. I’m not even seeing a guy who could fight in bellator, it just looks like he doesn’t want to be in there

easiest way to tell if a guy is washed is if they stop throwing....

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Did Woodley lose all 5 rounds on the judges scorecards?

Because I didn't think he won a round.

And less than a 100 strikes in something like the last hour of ring time! Colby had more strikes in one round this fight!

As others have said, he's done.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm a bit behind and getting caught up on the cards. Just one comment on Woodley - if he wants to keep something, he's a former champ to deserves an easier fighting to see where he stands. He's gotten killed by the elite of the division but I'm still interested in him against lower guys.

Some potential fights:

Chiesa has said he wants a higher ranked guy, so this would be appropriate.

Lawler rematch.

I'd also be fine if Woodley wanted a fight at 185lbs. He talked about it before and maybe he has more (any?) energy without a massive weight cut.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Woodley has fought 3 guys that all were elite at the gameplan is shown needed to beat Woodley

The reason he was champ so long is because he had elite TDD, like some of the most best in history. As soon as he lost that it was game over

He needs to fight Mike Perry

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Got through the card this morning, really enjoyable fights.

One thing I'll say is that I am getting a bit frustrated with the UFC not really doing anything about eyepokes. I get Price got deducted a point but he was still sticking his fingers out the rest of the fight. I'm sure Cerrone has been around Jon Jones enough so that's not a big deal for him but it still is illegal and they need to punish guys more for doing it. Covington was doing the same thing in the main event, though not as bad.

As for the actual fights..

I know some found it boring or want to talk about how much Woodley sucks, but I was extremely impressed by Covington again. His pace was excellent early on and then really used his strength to take over in the 2nd half of the fight. He always moves forward and though maybe he doesn't have the power he's really developed his technique and can progress through combinations very well. I haven't really thought too much about what's next for him but I am interested in that Usman rematch pretty quickly. On the other side, another listless Woodley fight. I don't understand how he is just letting guys overpower him so much. He still looks physically strong, but I guess it's just not there anymore. As mentioned earlier I am fine with him still fighting, just put him in there against a guy a bit lower and go from there.

I thought Niko Price looked excellent early on vs Cerrone. Thought the fight might be over within 2 minutes. But credit for Cerrone battling back in the 3rd round and grabbing a draw. Solid fight.

Not much to add about Chimaev. Wow.

Walker/Spann was fun for as long as it lasted. Poor fight IQ by Spann as he was getting caught by punches on the side of the head earlier and then just did the same thing again.

Speaking of poor fight IQ, not sure what Markos was doing going to the ground with Dern. Just awful. Dern is fun to watch on the ground though, nice finish.

Holland/Stewart was close. Two guys who are going to stick around in the UFC for awhile and might even beat some of the older ranked guys right now if given the opportunity.

Bektic was so hyped but just hasn't put it together. Hoping he can still carve out a nice UFC career but he was so promising for awhile. Thought he was a future champion.

Some other great KOs too. Costa was a filthy kick, and Nam with a nice one as well.

Clark/Alpas was a weird one. I thought Alpas looked awful.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Markos voluntarily jumping into Dern’s guard was arguably the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen somebody do in an octagon

I think Spann wasn’t so much a lack of IQ, I think he was rocked when he shot for that takedown. They both had landed at the same time and Walker was the one who went down, but Spann looked very unsteady on his feet. I think he saw Walker go down and he was operating on instinct because he was rocked. Ridiculously entertaining fight

Reactions: h2 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Did Woodley lose all 5 rounds on the judges scorecards?

Because I didn't think he won a round.

And less than a 100 strikes in something like the last hour of ring time! Colby had more strikes in one round this fight!

As others have said, he's done.
Yes. Well, technically, the 5th round wasn't judged because it was stopped, but all the judges gave the first 4 rounds to Covington and they all scored round 4 as a 10-8.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Covington won a one-sided fight but everyone is also in agreement that Woodley once again didn't show up and looks done so how do you weigh those two components against each other? It's a solid win but how much does it mean at this point? He also just recently got finished by Usman.

Masvidal wants the Diaz fight because it's more lucrative and he knows he'll likely win rather easily again. I don't see him fighting Covington or Edwards.

Edwards is ranked #3 and is waiting for a fight against a top contender. He's likely only one win away from a title shot. We know this because they offered the Usman fight to him before Burns but he couldn't take it due to the lockdown.

Covington vs. Edwards should be the fight to make to determine the next contender.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad