GDT: UFC Fight Night: Covington vs. Woodley

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It was one of my favorite fights in recent memory. The hype was great but boy did it deliver. And after watching Usman vs Jorge it kind of made me appreciate Colby more. I want to see round 2. I don't buy at all it was an early stoppage but hopefully Usman wins vs Burns and Colby wins vs Jorge, it would be undeniable they have to go again at that point.

Agreed, it was an amazing fight. I think it was even better because people were expecting it to be a bit of a grind and it was filled with action.

I wonder if they are actually thinking about doing Usman/Covington 2 in December.

You could then just do Burns/Edwards which will kill off a contender. Usually that's a bad thing, but in this case I don't think the UFC wants either to be a champion anyway so maybe they prefer it.

Reactions: member 51464

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Agreed, it was an amazing fight. I think it was even better because people were expecting it to be a bit of a grind and it was filled with action.

I wonder if they are actually thinking about doing Usman/Covington 2 in December.

You could then just do Burns/Edwards which will kill off a contender. Usually that's a bad thing, but in this case I don't think the UFC wants either to be a champion anyway so maybe they prefer it.

I don't think they'd do that and they shouldn't. Covington gets finished by Usman (don't pay attention to Covington's nonsense, he absolutely got finished), beats an even more disinterested Woodley, and he's going to jump Burns? Nah.

Masvidal vs. Covington is the ideal next fight but I still have my doubts about Masvidal accepting it despite what Dana is saying. If not that then get Edwards in there.

Reactions: m9

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Even if you don't think it was a premature stoppage, Usman landed at least one illegal strike to the back of Covington's head during the final ground 'n' pound...

Are we just going to pretend that didn't happen?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Even if you don't think it was a premature stoppage, Usman landed at least one illegal strike to the back of Covington's head during the final ground 'n' pound...

Are we just going to pretend that didn't happen?

If it was rare or egregious then I might factor that in but it's something that happens during almost every stoppage on the ground. IMO, it wasn't intentional or what ended the fight. If a fighter is defending himself and then goes out after a strike to the back of the head then that's a different story but that's not what happened.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If it was rare or egregious then I might factor that in but it's something that happens during almost every stoppage on the ground. IMO, it wasn't intentional or what ended the fight. If a fighter is defending himself and then goes out after a strike to the back of the head then that's a different story but that's not what happened.

Intentional or not, the ref should halt the action to assess the damage done as a result of the illegal strike...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Usman-Burns is already confirmed isn't it? I doubt they'd bump Burns.

Dana got asked in the UFC 253 presser if Masvidal-Covington was a possibility. Dana said something along the lines of "Yeah, it's very possible" with a smirk on his face. To me, that's either a sign that fight is close to happening or they are poking Nate because the Masvidal-Nate 2 discussions aren't going well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Usman-Burns is already confirmed isn't it? I doubt they'd bump Burns.

Dana got asked in the UFC 253 presser if Masvidal-Covington was a possibility. Dana said something along the lines of "Yeah, it's very possible" with a smirk on his face. To me, that's either a sign that fight is close to happening or they are poking Nate because the Masvidal-Nate 2 discussions aren't going well.

I don't know if it's been confirmed yet by the UFC, but it seems like Usman/Burns is still the plan. I don't think they will make the switch, but you have to wonder if they are at least thinking about it because there's no doubt doing Usman/Covington 2 & Masvidal/Diaz 2 is the most lucrative path.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't know if it's been confirmed yet by the UFC, but it seems like Usman/Burns is still the plan. I don't think they will make the switch, but you have to wonder if they are at least thinking about it because there's no doubt doing Usman/Covington 2 & Masvidal/Diaz 2 is the most lucrative path.
Yeah, I agree, but I don't think Usman-Covington 2 is big enough to go back on Usman-Burns now. They'll just wait and give Colby the next title shot if Masvidal wants Nate or do Masvidal-Covington which would be pretty big too and then give the winner of that the next shot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, I agree, but I don't think Usman-Covington 2 is big enough to go back on Usman-Burns now. They'll just wait and give Colby the next title shot if Masvidal wants Nate or do Masvidal-Covington which would be pretty big too and then give the winner of that the next shot.

Masvidal v Covington is a weird one for me. Is it big enough to headline a PPV? Maybe they would do it if they stacked the undercard. Doesn't really feel like a PPV main event, though.

Reactions: member 51464

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Masvidal v Covington is a weird one for me. Is it big enough to headline a PPV? Maybe they would do it if they stacked the undercard. Doesn't really feel like a PPV main event, though.
Fair question, I don't know. For me it is, but whether the UFC would look at it that way, I don't know. The UFC of yesteryear wouldn't do it without a a belt on the line, but now, who knows. It might depend on Masvidal's new deal, too. He might have something in there where his next fight after Usman had to be a PPV headliner or he would get too many PPV points to not put it as the main event or something like that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fair question, I don't know. For me it is, but whether the UFC would look at it that way, I don't know. The UFC of yesteryear wouldn't do it without a a belt on the line, but now, who knows. It might depend on Masvidal's new deal, too. He might have something in there where his next fight after Usman had to be a PPV headliner or he would get too many PPV points to not put it as the main event or something like that.

Have it main event with Ferguson/Poirier as the co-main.

Don't need any belts for that card to be a big one.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Say what you want about Colby personally- I know I dislike him- but you can’t say his profile is shrinking. I think him and Jorge could headline a PPV and do better than average

They just had Felicia Spencer headlining a ppv ffs lol
The weirdest thing about a Masvidal-Covington matchup is that Covington's whole schtick doesn't really work since Masvidal is also a Trump supporter :laugh:. It would almost surely be post election, too, which who knows how that effects Covington's act if Trump loses.

I didn't see it, but Luke Thomas said Covington was all over ESPN for some of his comments, some called them racist, after the Woodley fight. It might not be good press, but as they say, bad press is better than no press.

I think a main event of Masvidal-Covington would sell fine, but it's more of a question of whether the UFC is willing break that unwritten rule of having only title fights headline PPV's. That would be the real sign of what the UFC thinks of Masvidal's star power.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The weirdest thing about a Masvidal-Covington matchup is that Covington's whole schtick doesn't really work since Masvidal is also a Trump supporter :laugh:. It would almost surely be post election, too, which who knows how that effects Covington's act if Trump loses.

I didn't see it, but Luke Thomas said Covington was all over ESPN for some of his comments, some called them racist, after the Woodley fight. It might not be good press, but as they say, bad press is better than no press.

I think a main event of Masvidal-Covington would sell fine, but it's more of a question of whether the UFC is willing break that unwritten rule of having only title fights headline PPV's. That would be the real sign of what the UFC thinks of Masvidal's star power.

If you don’t respect the BMF Title as a real belt (like me) then they already have done it with Jorge ;)

But yeah he did get some media coverage for the “smoke signals” stuff in particular. Not exactly what I would want to get coverage for but to each their own. Like you say bad press beats no press tho so it’s just more money for Colby

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If you don’t respect the BMF Title as a real belt (like me) then they already have done it with Jorge ;)

But yeah he did get some media coverage for the “smoke signals” stuff in particular. Not exactly what I would want to get coverage for but to each their own. Like you say bad press beats no press tho so it’s just more money for Colby
Nate was the A-side in the BFM fight. The question is if they now see Masvidal as that level of a star on his own.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think there’s a chance he stole some of Nates juice that night
For sure he did. I mean, proof is in the 1.3M PPV buys from UFC 251. It's just whether the UFC sees it that way.

And to be clear, I think he is that guy. There's not a whole lot of fights I'd be more excited for than Masvidal-Covington. I mean, Khabib-Gaethje, Conor-anybody not named Diego, Poirier-Tony, Jones at HW. That might be it until you get into stuff that seems very unlikely at the moment like Jones-Izzy.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->