GDT: UFC Fight Night: Covington vs. Woodley

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
right, and what incentive do they have to do this? Same thing with Jorge- Do you think they want to make more money or less money?

I don’t get what’s hard to understand about this- they aren’t gonna do anything special for Leon Edwards, especially if it means pissing off one of their biggest draws

Again, if Masvidal is one of their biggest draws, why does his opponent have to be a big draw as well?

Masvidal should be able to bring in plenty of PPV buys on his own...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ever since the partnership with ESPN, do we even have hard numbers to know who is and is not drawing? Is Masvidal even special at this point? He didn't look great against Usman and I am not so sure running it back for the BMF belt really does that great. I will watch but don't really care about it. I know I am not necessarily representative, but I don't know anyone excited for the rematch.

I question whether Masvidal is as big a draw as some think he is...

To me, there have only been a handful of big draws in UFC history, and Masvidal isn't one of them...

Lesnar, McGregor, GSP, Rousey... then the next tier down would be guys like Liddell, Silva, and recently Nate Diaz

I'm not even sure Masvidal would be in the 3rd tier, and we won't know that for certain until he fights someone likes Edwards and we see what kind of PPV buys he brings in

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ever since the partnership with ESPN, do we even have hard numbers to know who is and is not drawing? Is Masvidal even special at this point? He didn't look great against Usman and I am not so sure running it back for the BMF belt really does that great. I will watch but don't really care about it. I know I am not necessarily representative, but I don't know anyone excited for the rematch.
Tapology has some. I don't know how or why they get some and not others, but from 2020:

Usman-Masvidal - 1.3M
Conor-Cowboy - 1M
Tony-Gaethje - 700k
Stipe-DC 3 - 500k

Masvidal-Nate 2 will do well because people just want to see Masvidal and especially Nate fight. Hardcore fans can not be excited about it all they want, but they will still watch and so will casual fans. There is a reason that Masvidal, Nate, and the UFC are all on board for making that fight.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Or, maybe, you know, act like an adult and don't physically attack someone because you don't like what they said...
Or not, thats the thing wrong with this generation. Talk all the shit you want and then curl up and cry when someone responds back.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Masvidal left his interview and walked over to confront Edwards...

No, Edwards was the one who confronted Masvidal out of the blue during an interview. It was a tough-guy call-out from Edwards that backfired.

I question whether Masvidal is as big a draw as some think he is...

To me, there have only been a handful of big draws in UFC history, and Masvidal isn't one of them...

Lesnar, McGregor, GSP, Rousey... then the next tier down would be guys like Liddell, Silva, and recently Nate Diaz

I'm not even sure Masvidal would be in the 3rd tier, and we won't know that for certain until he fights someone likes Edwards and we see what kind of PPV buys he brings in

Masvidal only got big hype behind him in 2019. Whether or not he will end up being a sustainable draw remains to be seen, but he has undisputedly been one of the UFC's biggest stars since then. A fight with Edwards would have been interesting last year, that ship has sailed and it's by no means an obligatory fight for Masvidal.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Or not, thats the thing wrong with this generation. Talk all the shit you want and then curl up and cry when someone responds back.

You mean the generation where a guy sucker-punches someone backstage and then refuse to fight them inside the octagon?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If you think Masvidal is just gonna sit there and let some disrespectful little no-name shit punk him out during an interview on live TV then you do not know Jorge Masvidal

Leon should get in the cage and make a name for himself. Then he will be able to call out people and actually get the fights. Instead he fights sparingly, fights relatively boring fights, and thinks a way to make a name for himself is to disrespect a legend of the game during his biggest moment in years

He learned the hard way that if you talk shit you get hit. Why would Masvidal want to do him any favors and line his pockets?

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
No, Edwards was the one who confronted Masvidal out of the blue during an interview. It was a tough-guy call-out from Edwards that backfired

What do you mean, no?

The video clearly shows Masvidal left his interview to confront Edwards...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Fights to make:
Masvidal v Diaz 2
Thompson v Edwards
Woodley v Chiesa

Covington fights Usman/Burns winner.

Thompson-Edwards is a perfect fight.

I saw Woodley’s MRI posted and it looks bad, I can see why he gave up. Don’t see him getting in there for awhile if he even wants to continue fighting. Chiesa would be an interesting matchup, if Woodley loses that then it’s OVER OVER. You’d think he would be able to keep it standing and compete with Chiesa on the feet. Or he won’t throw again. Idk.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
What do you mean, no?

The video clearly shows Masvidal left his interview to confront Edwards...

This has been discussed to death.

Edwards interrupted Masvidal's interview to talk shit to him and reciprocated Masvidal's approach, Masvidal didn't chase him down and jump him. He instigated the altercation and went up to him of his own accord. That's all I'll say about it, if you see it differently then suit yourself.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Masvidal still has more drawing power than any fighter without a belt and some of the current champs,.. Usman and so on.

That personality goes a long way and las fright aside, his last couple of years have been very entertaining
I'd say the biggest draws in the UFC right now are Conor, Nate, and Masvidal none of whom have a belt.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Fights to make:
Masvidal v Diaz 2
Thompson v Edwards
Woodley v Chiesa

Covington fights Usman/Burns winner.
I think this is most likely what does happen.

If Burns beats Usman, I have no problems with Covington getting the title shot. If Usman wins, though, I don't love it. Covington was down on the scorecards and then got finished. It was a great fight, but he clearly lost. Beating checked out Woodley who has lost 15 rounds in a row isn't enough for me to give Covington another shot at Usman. In that case, I'd prefer Covington-Edwards in a #1 contenders fight. It doesn't really work out with the timing, though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think this is most likely what does happen.

If Burns beats Usman, I have no problems with Covington getting the title shot. If Usman wins, though, I don't love it. Covington was down on the scorecards and then got finished. It was a great fight, but he clearly lost. Beating checked out Woodley who has lost 15 rounds in a row isn't enough for me to give Covington another shot at Usman. In that case, I'd prefer Covington-Edwards in a #1 contenders fight. It doesn't really work out with the timing, though.

Covington wasn't down on the scorecards, it was dead even. Each guy was up 3-1 on a scorecard and the other was 2-2. He obviously got finished and didn't deserve an immediate rematch, so I'm glad he didn't get one.

I'm not sure he really deserves another championship fight yet based on merit either, so if he took another fight that's fine too. But I just don't see a better option than him right now.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Covington wasn't down on the scorecards, it was dead even. Each guy was up 3-1 on a scorecard and the other was 2-2. He obviously got finished and didn't deserve an immediate rematch, so I'm glad he didn't get one.

I'm not sure he really deserves another championship fight yet based on merit either, so if he took another fight that's fine too. But I just don't see a better option than him right now.
Oh, you're right. I thought the 3-1 card were both for Usman, but one was for Colby. Maybe he was just down on my scorecard :laugh:

The timing doesn't work out for there to be someone else. If Covington had beat Woodley a couple of months ago, they could have done Covington-Edwards in a title eliminator around the same time as Usman-Burns. But now, Colby will take a few months off, Usman-Burns will happen, and then they will be looking to book the champ vs. someone and Convington is the only answer. Colby won't take another fight knowing that.

Reactions: m9

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

It was one of my favorite fights in recent memory. The hype was great but boy did it deliver. And after watching Usman vs Jorge it kind of made me appreciate Colby more. I want to see round 2. I don't buy at all it was an early stoppage but hopefully Usman wins vs Burns and Colby wins vs Jorge, it would be undeniable they have to go again at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->