GDT: UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
TJ being a baby and a sore loser, was it early? maybe but at the end of the day he's the one who let himself get caught and dropped like 2 or 3 times.

Reactions: tmurfin

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
TJ being a baby and a sore loser, was it early? maybe but at the end of the day he's the one who let himself get caught and dropped like 2 or 3 times.

I remember his second fight with Cody. He had to knock Cody down a few times and even knee him in the head for the ref to finally stop the fight.

I understand where TJ is coming from but he's under the belief he would've out wrestled a wrestler from a position of weakness and regained his composure. I'm not sure that's realistic.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I do think it was a little early but TJ really shouldn't fight at 125 again. He looked slow, he looked low energy and was easily shrugged off his balance. That's just not the weight class for him.

The crazy thing is they are basically the same height and Cejudo is so much noticeably bigger. Wrestlers and weight cutting man... they're wizards Harry.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I do think it was a little early but TJ really shouldn't fight at 125 again. He looked slow, he looked low energy and was easily shrugged off his balance. That's just not the weight class for him.

The crazy thing is they are basically the same height and Cejudo is so much noticeably bigger. Wrestlers and weight cutting man... they're wizards Harry.
Cejudo claims he weighed 146 in the octagon tonight. Nuts

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I remember his second fight with Cody. He had to knock Cody down a few times and even knee him in the head for the ref to finally stop the fight.

I understand where TJ is coming from but he's under the belief he would've out wrestled a wrestler from a position of weakness and regained his composure. I'm not sure that's realistic.
Cejudo is obviously a great wrestler, but MMA wrestling is different. If TJ could have tied him up for a few seconds and cleared his head, it's entirely possible he's able to get back up. It's not like Cejudo is THAT dominant that he's going to keep TJ down for 4+mins at a time.

TJ's definitely taller than Cejudo. The UFC lists him as 2 inches taller.

Reactions: m9

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

TJ didn't look ready for Cejudo to rush him like that.

Many people were worried TJ was not taking Cejudo seriously enough.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I'm even more okay with the stoppage now after watching it a few more times. Dillashaw gets dropped the first time, takes repeated shots that aren't defended, and the ref lets it continue. He tries to get up, takes another clean shot that drops him back down, and the ref lets it continue because he's scrambling this time. He then gets up again, takes another big shot, he looks out of it as his legs go again, and this time the ref stops it after Cejudo landed some more ground strikes. This gif doesn't show the very end where Dillashaw appeared to have come to his senses but the ref stepped in right before he turned to go for a single leg. If you take that many clean shots and get dropped three times, I think most refs are going to have a quick trigger at the end of it and I can't blame them.

Reactions: td_ice and m9

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada

I'm even more okay with the stoppage now after watching it a few more times. Dillashaw gets dropped the first time, takes repeated shots that aren't defended, and the ref lets it continue. He tries to get up, takes another clean shot that drops him back down, and the ref lets it continue because he's scrambling this time. He then gets up again, takes another big shot, he looks out of it as his legs go again, and this time the ref stops it after Cejudo landed some more ground strikes. This gif doesn't show the very end where Dillashaw appeared to have come to his senses but the ref stepped in right before he turned to go for a single leg. If you take that many clean shots and get dropped three times, I think most refs are going to have a quick trigger at the end of it and I can't blame them.

100%, people saying it was a bad stoppage are crazy. The guy got dropped like 3 or 4 times and the ref is supposed to be there to protect the fighter... It's not like Cejudo was going to punch himself out 30 seconds into the fight either.

TJ is a sore loser, he still cries about his loss to Cruz.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wouldn't even do a rematch next. Let Cejudo defend vs Benavidez to avenge his only loss (other than DJ). They both just fought so timing will be fine. Dillashaw can fight the Assuncao/Moraes winner.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I thought the stoppage was fine. I'm with m9 in hoping they do Joe B vs Cejudo next. I really hope Joe wins that fight as he's been a great ufc fighter for years but never held a title. Don't think he will tho as he basically won their first fight due to point deduction on Cejudo and since then Cejudo has improved a lot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought the stoppage was fine. I'm with m9 in hoping they do Joe B vs Cejudo next. I really hope Joe wins that fight as he's been a great ufc fighter for years but never held a title. Don't think he will tho as he basically won their first fight due to point deduction on Cejudo and since then Cejudo has improved a lot.

Cejudo talked about saving the flyweight division and defending that belt again would be a good start. Hopefully he does it.

member 51464

I'd still like to see flyweight get scrapped. It is generally just filler on cards.

Reactions: h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002
If half the people watching the fight think it was an early stoppage, it’s probably debatable because if it wasn’t early you wouldn’t see anything about it.

I don’t think a possible rematch happens at 125. Should be at 135. Props to TJ for even making the weight, but I want to see a rematch with both guys at their best. We don’t get that at 125. The last two champ champ fights have been really fast! (Nunes-Cyborg/Cejudo-Dillashaw) Crazy!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I still think it was early. That GIF doesn't go to the end, but the ref stopped it during a wrestling scramble. It's not the worst stoppage ever because TJ was getting lit up, but IMO, TJ was still defending himself by going for the wrestling. Cejudo said TJ went limp. I didn't really see that, but even if he did, he wasn't limp when the ref came in to stop it.

It would be a weird position, though. The natural thing to do when it is 1-1 is to do the trilogy fight. But then the question becomes at what weight?

Of course, TJ would have to win the fight at 135lb for it to become a weird position, though.

Cejudo talked about saving the flyweight division and defending that belt again would be a good start. Hopefully he does it.
Yeah, it is weird. "I did it for the flyweights! OK, see you later flyweights. I'm going to bantamweight!"

But I think the money and the chance to become a 2 division champ is going to be too much to resist. I fully expect there to be a rematch at 135lb.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'd still like to see flyweight get scrapped. It is generally just filler on cards.
If it went away, I wouldn't care. But at the same time, I'd like to see it stick around for a little bit. See if they can get it going now that DJ's not just demolishing everybody in his path. As great as DJ was, I think that was the biggest problem with the division. Everybody knew the outcome of the fight before it happened. It's hard to get excited for that. Maybe if the belt changes hands a few times, it will generate some curiosity.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If it went away, I wouldn't care. But at the same time, I'd like to see it stick around for a little bit. See if they can get it going now that DJ's not just demolishing everybody in his path. As great as DJ was, I think that was the biggest problem with the division. Everybody knew the outcome of the fight before it happened. It's hard to get excited for that. Maybe if the belt changes hands a few times, it will generate some curiosity.

I've been in favour of scrapping the division for quite some time, but I've come around on it and am fine with keeping it around and just limiting the depth of the division. Just keep 15-20 fighters around at most (champ, contenders, a couple prospects) and then have maybe 1 or 2 flyweight fights per month. I don't need to see unranked flyweights fight and I don't need multiple fights per card.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I've been in favour of scrapping the division for quite some time, but I've come around on it and am fine with keeping it around and just limiting the depth of the division. Just keep 15-20 fighters around at most (champ, contenders, a couple prospects) and then have maybe 1 or 2 flyweight fights per month. I don't need to see unranked flyweights fight and I don't need multiple fights per card.
You go deeper into the prelims than I do, though. I don't feel like I've even seen that many flyweight fights over the last several years unless it has involved DJ, Cejudo, and Joey B. I definitely haven't seen any unranked flyweights.

So if they want to keep the entire division, it's really no skin off my nose. If they get rid of it, I probably wouldn't miss it. If they want to trim it, that's fine, too.

The only way I'd feel strongly about it is if it somehow came down to having a 125lb division or the 165lb division. In that case, yeah, get rid of it immediately.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It would be a weird position, though. The natural thing to do when it is 1-1 is to do the trilogy fight. But then the question becomes at what weight?

Well in that scenario, TJ beating Cejudo at BW, it would just be a case of the champion retaining the belt in each fight. I don’t think that’s really a situation that needs a trilogy fight. I guess it would depend on how entertaining the fight is.

I think if they are to do an immediate rematch for this fight it should be at BW though. I think Cejudo has earned the opportunity to become the champ-champ. I don’t think TJ deserves an immediate chance to run it back at FLW.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well in that scenario, TJ beating Cejudo at BW, it would just be a case of the champion retaining the belt in each fight. I don’t think that’s really a situation that needs a trilogy fight. I guess it would depend on how entertaining the fight is.

I think if they are to do an immediate rematch for this fight it should be at BW though. I think Cejudo has earned the opportunity to become the champ-champ. I don’t think TJ deserves an immediate chance to run it back at FLW.
To the first point, I still think people would be interested in a trilogy if TJ beat him at 135. Maybe not right away, but I think it would happen eventually. Especially since there's not a ton happening in both of those divisions at the moment. Which weight would be the biggest question for me. Although, if they ax the division, I guess that would answer it.

To the second, I agree. Even though I think it was an early stoppage, Cejudo still lit him up. It's not his job to stop the fight. I said it before, but I think you leave it up to Cejudo. If he wants it at 135, then it should be at 135. If he wants to give TJ another shot at 125 to erase any doubt, then it should be at 125. If he wants to fight Joey B. or one of the other flyweights before a rematch, then so be it. He's earned the right to have some say IMO and I think the UFC should be OK with all of those scenarios.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad