GDT: UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Lewis

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Wow, that uppercut and almost in slow motion the way Blaydes fell, stiff. And then absorbing two more solid shots, he was out. He's sitting up, good. Hope he's all right.

Reactions: Avs_19, CDJ and m9

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Phenomenal gameplan from Lewis. He spent the entire first round going for that exact punch and just stuck with it all the way through.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
One of the most brutal KOs I’ve ever seen.

Herb goofed again letting a nearly dead man take two additional bombs from Lewis

Reactions: CDJ

bov

Nov 13, 2010
That's heavyweight for ya. Amazing that black beast just keeps getting it done, he honestly looks so bad pretty much every fight. I root for the guy, great finish but man oh man what an ugly fight. I feel really bad for Blaydes.

Reactions: CDJ

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That’s some ridiculous power. He connected with a big shot on Blaydes’ first takedown attempt in the 1st round and then again in the 2nd. The extra shots were just unnecessary.

Gotta feel for Blaydes. He seems like a pretty good dude and loses via brutal KO again when he was so close to the top.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I re-wound just to watch where Dean was when the KO happened. Remembering that he was really watching for finger pokes etc he's trying, as a ref always does or should do, to get position to see everything.

Dean was on the 'near'(right) side for tv within 2 steps but unfortunately for Blaydes Dean had swung over to the 'far' (left) side. Though Dean seemed 'set' pretty quickly after he'd circled to the other side, Blaydes shot in and Lewis threw the uppercut maybe a second after Dean had switched sides. Dean got in there pretty quickly but it happened fast.... I can't really fault Dean there and I'm neither criticizing nor sticking up for him. On the side he swung too, he might've been a bit further away from the fighters than on his original side but he was still close, and I think got there as fast as he could. It happened very quickly, that uppercut and the 2 blows. Maybe except for diving in there, which I don't think he could do because of the angle he came from, I think he did his best to basically jump on top of Blaydes to block Lewis from punching anymore. If he'd been behind Lewis he maybe could've tried to grab his right (but you can't ref a fight from a back angle, has to be side) but since he had to come from the side he couldn't stop those 2 sledgehammer blows, even the last one.

Interesting to hear that Lewis in his post-fight interview first said he didn't felt like he warmed up good. Then said that punch was his whole fight strategy. He knew Blaydes would shoot in on him and said he knew he'd land either that uppercut or a knee. Said he didn't care about 1-2 punch or anything else, that punch on a shoot was his strategy. Eventually said Stipe when pressed about who he'd like to fight next, though he had mentioned Jones' moving up to HW but something about not fighting for the title (his way of saying maybe he could? hint hint)

Brutal KO though, just wow. Should re-watch once more to see if my Dean description is accurate lol.

2nd re-watch: Dean seemed totally out-of-sight from the camera when the uppercut landed, looks like he had to run 2 or 3 good steps to get in there and stop it. Don't think he was too far away as those are big guys scrapping and some distance has to be kept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Lewis is the most un-intuitive fighter to fight against. For all his mighty power, he loses most of his fights in pure standups and, for his perceived grappling weakness, he beats anyone (not named Daniel Cormier) who tries to grapple with him. That makes him the ultimate embodiment what is a Heavyweight MMA fighter

Reactions: ConorMcGregor

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Lewis already said he wanted to fight Overeem win or lose and that's still not a bad fight for him. He isn't jumping Jones for a title shot and Overeem is a pretty safe fight in the meantime.

You can then do JR/Gane winner v Volkov.

Reactions: ryerockarola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad