GDT: UFC Fight Night: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The prelim next week is light years better than the main card this week

It’s a loaded prelim. Taking advantage of that ESPN time slot.

Reactions: ZDH

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Terrible stoppage no doubt, but Cutelaba did look like a bobblehead three different times in that exchange. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I think a pretty good general rule of thumb for the men is you don't stop a fight while the guy is standing. (Although I do recall Browne getting stopped standing but he took a lot more damage).

Everything's pretty much already been said about the women's fights. Nunes will destroy either of the winners.

Figueiredo seemed to have no respect for Joe's power. Also looked a weight class bigger than him. I think Figueiredo wins regardless but you could definitely argue the accidental headbutt played a factor. Joe was backing up wiping it when that right landed. My guess when his camp watches it back is they'll bring that up and ask for a rematch.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My problem with the stoppage is that it was literally as Ion was throwing an absolute haymaker. And he immediately started protesting. Just awful.

FOTN went to Phillips vs Silva. Kyler Phillips looked pretty legit tonight. Fun looking fighter, seems like he’s high quality too. Silva is just tough. He wore it tonight but hey at least he got 50k

Reactions: chicagoskycam

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
While I would suspend him from flyweight for 2 years that was Figueiredo’s first time missing weight. It’s kind of funny that between him and Yoel they’ve missed weight 3 times and they’ve all been title shots

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
My problem with the stoppage is that it was literally as Ion was throwing an absolute haymaker. And he immediately started protesting. Just awful.

FOTN went to Phillips vs Silva. Kyler Phillips looked pretty legit tonight. Fun looking fighter, seems like he’s high quality too. Silva is just tough. He wore it tonight but hey at least he got 50k

He was wobbling but standing in there trading. The stoppage, if the ref was concerned about having his legs under him should have been sooner, but we have seen many fighters in this situation. Basically Wilder looked like that for a few rounds last week before his corner threw in the towel. They need to get these refs together for some consistency.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He was wobbling but standing in there trading. The stoppage, if the ref was concerned about having his legs under him should have been sooner, but we have seen many fighters in this situation. Basically Wilder looked like that for a few rounds last week before his corner threw in the towel. They need to get these refs together for some consistency.

I honestly think he was rope-a-doping Ankalaev to get him to rush in, that protest was REALLY coherent and he had his full legs under him during it as if nothing happened. Plus he was throwing BOMBS

The difference between him and wilder is that wilder sustained major damage over multiple rounds and was basically broken, cutelaba got hit a couple times by a more precise striker but he was faaaaaaar from out of it in his own mind. For all the bluster and excuses he made justifying the loss to himself I don’t think wilder really thought he could win once he got in there and realized the size and talent he was up against- Ion did. Hell that crazy f***er probably thought he had Ankalaev right where he wanted him (which may be true because his most likely path to victory was turning it into a brawl early in the fight)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Part of me wants Ankalaev-Cutelaba rematch, because of entertainment, but Ankalaev deserves a higher ranked opponent at this point.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Yea I agree there is really no point in running that back in my opinion, I saw enough in those 30 seconds to know that Cutelaba doesnt belong in the same ring as Ankalaev. Also there has to be some kind of consequence for attacking your opponent before the fight has even started. Like really, what the f*** was that? Did the same shit in weigh ins to that's just too ridiculous.

I'll go one step further and say this (and nobody will agree w/ me but w/e) - Ankalaev might just be the best Light Heavyweight in the world right now. Period. I know I'm going to back him as he rips through the Light Heavyweight ranks all the way to the top, should get some really nice odds on him too (at least initially).

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yea I agree there is really no point in running that back in my opinion, I saw enough in those 30 seconds to know that Cutelaba doesnt belong in the same ring as Ankalaev. Also there has to be some kind of consequence for attacking your opponent before the fight has even started. Like really, what the f*** was that? Did the same shit in weigh ins to that's just too ridiculous.

I'll go one step further and say this (and nobody will agree w/ me but w/e) - Ankalaev might just be the best Light Heavyweight in the world right now. Period. I know I'm going to back him as he rips through the Light Heavyweight ranks all the way to the top, should get some really nice odds on him too (at least initially).

He's definitely the best guy nobody has heard of and beat guy outside the top 10. Looked great in there. Need to see him against some better competition next.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I honestly think he was rope-a-doping Ankalaev to get him to rush in, that protest was REALLY coherent and he had his full legs under him during it as if nothing happened. Plus he was throwing BOMBS

The difference between him and wilder is that wilder sustained major damage over multiple rounds and was basically broken, cutelaba got hit a couple times by a more precise striker but he was faaaaaaar from out of it in his own mind. For all the bluster and excuses he made justifying the loss to himself I don’t think wilder really thought he could win once he got in there and realized the size and talent he was up against- Ion did. Hell that crazy f***er probably thought he had Ankalaev right where he wanted him (which may be true because his most likely path to victory was turning it into a brawl early in the fight)

It was an awful stoppage, but let's be honest. You stated multiple times that Cutelaba would win and then he was getting completely picked apart and rocked up until the stoppage. I think you're letting your pre-fight opinion cloud what actually happened in the cage.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It was an awful stoppage, but let's be honest. You stated multiple times that Cutelaba would win and then he was getting completely picked apart and rocked up until the stoppage. I think you're letting your pre-fight opinion cloud what actually happened in the cage.

not really, I saw other fighters/fans saying they thought he was rope-a-doping. Especially with how coherent he was with the ref. Not even a little wobbly the second the fight was stopped.

but even if he wasn’t rope-a-doping....still awful, because again he was throwing a haymaker as it got stopped. Vision can’t be clouded on a fact. He was getting picked apart and probably would have been stopped in the first but it doesn’t change the fact that it was the worst I’ve ever seen

member 51464

Terrible stoppage no doubt, but Cutelaba did look like a bobblehead three different times in that exchange. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I think a pretty good general rule of thumb for the men is you don't stop a fight while the guy is standing. (Although I do recall Browne getting stopped standing but he took a lot more damage).

Everything's pretty much already been said about the women's fights. Nunes will destroy either of the winners.

Figueiredo seemed to have no respect for Joe's power. Also looked a weight class bigger than him. I think Figueiredo wins regardless but you could definitely argue the accidental headbutt played a factor. Joe was backing up wiping it when that right landed. My guess when his camp watches it back is they'll bring that up and ask for a rematch.
I only just caught the "fight" but that bobblehead look was bizarre. It almost felt like his version of head movement or something. Just a strange match all around from the ending to the march across the catch to make contact before the fight. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Any early UFC 248 predictions?

Mostly curious to hear opinions on Jingliang v Magny...

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Yeah, the whole walking across the ring as well. lol. What exactly is security in there for? I know he was just messing aroundd

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Any early UFC 248 predictions?

Mostly curious to hear opinions on Jingliang v Magny...

I’d go with Jingliang, he’s coming off a really nice win whereas Magny is coming off a loss with a lot of time off.

Neil is a crafty vet though, wouldn’t shock me if he outpoints Jiangliang

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I’d go with Jingliang, he’s coming off a really nice win whereas Magny is coming off a loss with a lot of time off.

Neil is a crafty vet though, wouldn’t shock me if he outpoints Jiangliang

good to hear I've been leaning towards Jingliang pretty hard and I have him finishing a few parlays from the Benavidez card. His last few fights have all been fight of the nights so its been fun scouting him.

King of worrying to read the staph infection rumors being reported for Adesanya though...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
good to hear I've been leaning towards Jingliang pretty hard and I have him finishing a few parlays from the Benavidez card. His last few fights have all been fight of the nights so its been fun scouting him.

King of worrying to read the staph infection rumors being reported for Adesanya though...

if jiangliang pulls it off they are gonna have to give him somebody at the top of the division, I think that would make 8 of 9 with 5 bonuses Mixed in and an opportunity for a 6th. That’s quite a run

and yeah I just looked into that after seeing you bring it up....if he’s on antibiotics that could present a problem. Especially against an explosive athlete like Yoel

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I only just caught the "fight" but that bobblehead look was bizarre. It almost felt like his version of head movement or something. Just a strange match all around from the ending to the march across the catch to make contact before the fight. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

My thoughts exactly. It was almost cartoonish, that’s why I do think there’s some merit to the idea that he was doing it intentionally. He was definitely taking damage though

I mean you got guys like bisping, borg, smolka, Vince morales etc lending credence to that rope-a-dope idea, it’s not like I was the one that made it up

I think cutelaba still probably loses as Ankalaev was awfully precise with his shots in the short time they were in there but we got robbed of knowing for sure. I mean just watch the punch Cutelaba is throwing as the ref steps in....it’s an absolute bomb of an overhand. He was taking damage and the last left he took looked bad but that bomb combined with his immediate coherent protest makes the entire thing kind of disgusting. I rant about this with the judging too but it absolutely sucks that these guys put all this time and money into their camps only for their fate and purse to be decided by incompetent judging and bad officiating.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That sucks for Joey B. Opponent misses weight and then you take an accidental headbutt. I'm firmly in the "I don't care what they do with the flyweight division" but if they keep it around I hope Joey B. gets another shot at the belt soon. Maybe not an immediate rematch, but soon.

I could definitely buy Cutelaba was faking being hurt from that clip.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
He rope-a-doped himself into a L. Dont feel for him though, his shenanigans were getting tiresome.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
After that display Cutelaba is possibly the biggest hardo in a sport full of hardos, I do not blame you for not feeling bad for him lol

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought Cutelaba was faking a bit when I was watching it live, but it's an incredibly risky tactic with limited upside. The stuff before the fight was weird as well.

On the other hand, loved Ankalaev flipping the bird to the crowd. I hate when crowds full of drunk idiots boo guys because they didn't like the result.

Full disclosure though - I myself have been the drunk idiot booing because I didn't like the result a couple of UFC events.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought Cutelaba was faking a bit when I was watching it live, but it's an incredibly risky tactic with limited upside. The stuff before the fight was weird as well.

On the other hand, loved Ankalaev flipping the bird to the crowd. I hate when crowds full of drunk idiots boo guys because they didn't like the result.

Full disclosure though - I myself have been the drunk idiot booing because I didn't like the result a couple of UFC events.

I think iaquinta letting the crowd here it in one of his post fight interviews is my favorite post fight interview

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/I...erns-Ahead-of-Title-Defense-at-UFC-248-171047

good to hear, some good quotes in there -->

"It's just a little something, a little scrape of myself," he said. "That s---t happens, but whatever. I’ll rub it on his face when it’s time.”

Adesanya claims that the wound hasn’t affected his preparation and that he didn’t take any antibiotics to treat it.

"I've had malaria damn near eight times. I don't know what else I've had. Like you think staph's going to f--- with me?

"I looked at it and went 'no,' and it went away.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->