Viewing: FS1, TSN 5

MAIN CARD (FS1, TSN 5)

Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza vs. Kevin Lee
Featherweight bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Cub Swanson
Heavyweight bout: Chase Sherman vs. Justin Willis
Middleweight bout: David Branch vs. Thiago Santos
Bantamweight bout: Aljamain Sterling vs. Brett Johns
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Dan Hooker

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, Fight Network/UFC Fight Pass)

Welterweight bout: Ryan LaFlare vs. Alex Garcia
Flyweight bout: Magomed Bibulatov vs. Ulka Sasaki
Welterweight bout: Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Luan Chagas
Light Heavyweight bout: Corey Anderson vs. Patrick Cummins

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Women's Bantamweight bout: Leslie Smith vs. Aspen Ladd
Bantamweight bout: Merab Dvalishvili vs. Ricky Simon
Welterweight bout: Tony Martin vs. Keita Nakamura​

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
looking forward to the last two fights - better than next month's 224 to me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good main event and it's an important fight in the LW division. The winner should be right up there with Alvarez and Poirier. I think Lee might be in some trouble if he doesn't get the fight to the ground.

Frankie/Swanson is a good fight as well but it feels way too soon for Frankie. He just got KO'd about six weeks ago and now he's right back in there against a top contender.

I hope I'm wrong but the Branch/Santos and Sterling/Johns fights have the potential to be pretty boring. It could be a very long main card if we don't get finishes in the other fights.

Vessy

Sep 16, 2011
I too am a little nervous with Edgar getting back to the cage so quickly. Especially considering it's the first time he's been stopped. If he truly is back to 100% I think he gets through Swanson relatively handily.

Lee vs. Barboza is very interesting to me. Barboza is one dimensional (albeit very dangerous in a singular area) but seems like a guy you need to be able to beat to be considered top 5. Lee is awesome and he's been fun to watch evolve through his fights but I'm waiting for his signature win.

Agree that Branch/Santos are going to be grinding performance with a lot of cage/clinchwork.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
kevin lee missed weight. 157 even. that's with the towel. barboza's team accepted catch weight fight but lee has to forfeit 20% of his purse.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Bad look for a guy who talks so much. Lee does not really have the track record to back up all that bluster he spews.

I like Till and he is also a big talker with a fledgling resume but I think the difference is that Till seems to sincerely believe in himself. Pretty subjective opinion but I think Lee tries too hard.

Good on him for believing in the power of positive thinking though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like Lee but I agree, you have to make weight if you're going to talk as much as he does. He's having a real hard time making 155 now and he's too small for 170 so he needs to figure something out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Perfectly timed knee from Hooker. That last punch was so unnecessary with Miller already out cold but the ref should've been quicker.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Who's doing the colour commentating tonight? Someone needs to teach him what "out cold" means

Santos wasn't out cold

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought Sterling looked really good tonight. Fight wasn't all that bad either other than some stalling against the cage.

I couldn't have been more wrong about the Branch/Santos fight. Good win for Branch.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The quick turnaround didn't effect Frankie at all. He bounced back nicely after that KO.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Lee with probably a 10-8

Barboza needs to regroup here. (I thought he looked pretty intimidated from the start during the pre match intros, and Lee stare down.)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Wow, Barboza wobbled him good. But that's about all Barboza did there. Great job by Lee to recover then get top position quickly. And Lee wobbled Barboza twice in that round.

I think that could go either way, but I would give that to Lee 10-9, due to Lee super quick recovery, and Lee being aggressor and landing more shots in that round.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Stoppage in the 5th. Barboza eye cut and closed up.

Lee with an impressive beatdown.

What was super impressive was when Barboza got the spinning wheel kick on Lee and made him buckle, and Lee was going down, Lee through that fog of getting hit, secures the double leg, and has the strength to fall down on Barboza and take him down and just buy time to further recover. If Barboza could have backed up a bit, and not allowed the clinch, he could have finished Lee there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great performance by Lee. Just a one-sided beatdown other than that one kick that almost finished him. He should get one of the top contenders next and hopefully he gets the weight issue figured out.

Barboza is crazy tough.

Reactions: td_ice

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Really impressive performance by Lee. Hard to believe he's only 25. Dude needs to shut his mouth though. After the fight, he called out Alvarez for being too 'fat' and not being able to make weight in 6 days against Khabib. Dude, you just missed weight with a FULL training camp. Shut up.

Glad to see Frankie win. I like Cub, too, but Frankie deserves a title shot after taking that risk against Ortega. This win should put him next in line once again.

Barbosa and Cub are similar to me. Both really good fighters, but are a weapon or 2 from being championship caliber guys. With Barbosa, it's any semblance of a ground game. With Cub, I'm not sure what it is. I think in this fight he was too worried about Frankie's wrestling so he didn't let his hands go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad