GDT: UFC Fight Night: Anderson vs. Blachowicz 2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
yeah I don’t think him taking a DQ win at the age of 38 (when he’s got a gaping gash on his forehead above his eye) does much to impact the legacy of a guy who helped put the UFC on the map
I agree it doesn't effect Diego's legacy at all and I can't blame him for doing it. However, I feel like if the roles were reversed, people wouldn't be giving Pereira the same benefit of doubt.

Reactions: member 51464

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I agree it doesn't effect Diego's legacy at all and I can't blame him for doing it. However, I feel like if the roles were reversed, people wouldn't be giving Pereira the same benefit of doubt.

very true

As an aside I find it weird a lot of people are rooting for Pereira to fail (not on here, just generally speaking). Yeah he’s probably an idiot for fighting how he does but it’s not boring!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
LHW is a clusterf***. Hopefully Walker gets a lot better with Zahabi and co..

member 51464

I find Pereira fun. He seems like a guy who knows his limitations and is just out there to have fun and entertain. I respect that. I just hope he doesn't get cut. He hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I believe I saw Diego's win bonus was $100k. Pretty tough to be honorable there and throw six figures out the window. And I know Anthony Smith did it, but I know if it were me and I had six figures literally in my hand it'd be pretty tough to give it back just so I could get beat up another couple minutes.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I believe I saw Diego's win bonus was $100k. Pretty tough to be honorable there and throw six figures out the window. And I know Anthony Smith did it, but I know if it were me and I had six figures literally in my hand it'd be pretty tough to give it back just so I could get beat up another couple minutes.

Agreed

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I don't blame Diego for doing that. That was as blatant an illegal knee that you'll ever see & the dude deserves to be DQ'd just for trying to claim it was legal.

I thought he could have continued but nobody really knows how clear his head really was because that knee landed flush.

We have to stop rewarding these fighter who do illegal things because it's been proven emphatically thru the years, & pointed out by Dana White himself, that fighters who get fouled, where the fight needs to be paused by the ref, lose a disproportionate amount of the time.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm fine with all that, but I still think Diego winning is a bad thing.

The rules need to be in place so that if the fighter can't continue then the guy who threw the illegal blow is punished (lose 1pt or whatever) and then if that's deep in the fight they go to the scorecards. I know in some states the current rule is similar to this but I can't keep track of where that is and that rule should be everywhere. There shouldn't be any incentives for a guy to essentially quit like he did.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm fine with all that, but I still think Diego winning is a bad thing.

The rules need to be in place so that if the fighter can't continue then the guy who threw the illegal blow is punished (lose 1pt or whatever) and then if that's deep in the fight they go to the scorecards. I know in some states the current rule is similar to this but I can't keep track of where that is and that rule should be everywhere. There shouldn't be any incentives for a guy to essentially quit like he did.
100% agree with this. I can understand a DQ if it was like the third one he threw, he was breaking rules the entire fight, or it was clearly intentional. It's one split second moment where he's presumably going for the chest and misses. I've never understood why that counts as a "win" for the recipient. Should be a no contest.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

So we already knew Diego’s trainer is a snake oil salesmen but golly does he come off horrible in this interview

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
100% agree with this. I can understand a DQ if it was like the third one he threw, he was breaking rules the entire fight, or it was clearly intentional. It's one split second moment where he's presumably going for the chest and misses. I've never understood why that counts as a "win" for the recipient. Should be a no contest.

He wasn't going for his chest though. He actually tried to plead to the officials that he wasn't downed & the knee was legal, until he saw the replay. He did it on purpose somehow thinking he wasn't down so there's no way it can be a no-contest.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Fighters very rarely win after taking illegal knees like that and continuing. There’s a reason for that- they do significant damage. I have no problem with it being an automatic DQ loss, especially in obvious situations like these two were.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
He wasn't going for his chest though. He actually tried to plead to the officials that he wasn't downed & the knee was legal, until he saw the replay. He did it on purpose somehow thinking he wasn't down so there's no way it can be a no-contest.
I'm admittedly biased on this stuff but things are happening so fast in there, guys are scrambling, defending, trying to get up, in a fraction of a second you can understand a guy not noticing a finger or two down or clipping head when going for chest. Or even getting caught up in the moment of trying to finish and just doing it instinctually. I'd have to watch it again but upon memory I do think it was fairly blatant, but for me personally I'd like to see them just be legal, so I'm probably not the most impartial observer.

*Just rewatched it. I actually think the first knee where they were standing at around 2:04 is the one that busted Diego open. Several knees were thrown in that exchange, and the one that dropped Diego just prior to the illegal knee was actually to the body. Given Diego's position it would've been tough for a knee to the chest to have been performed there, but watching that sequence in real time it just wasn't that blatant of a cheapshot IMO.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Very few times are these kind of blows "intentional". Things happen so quickly and mistakes are made.

But that's what they are, they're mistakes.

If someone honestly thinks a DQ win for Diego Sanchez is the correct way that fight should be in the books then I have nothing to say as I will never agree with you. It's either a No Contest or you go to the cards.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Very few times are these kind of blows "intentional". Things happen so quickly and mistakes are made.

But that's what they are, they're mistakes.

If someone honestly thinks a DQ win for Diego Sanchez is the correct way that fight should be in the books then I have nothing to say as I will never agree with you. It's either a No Contest or you go to the cards.

I would have no problem with it being a no contest but that’s what weird ass New Mexico has in the books and I can kind of understand the reasoning

after all this is one of the few rules that they have. It was a pretty flagrant violation imo. I think it was a heat of the moment thing but it was so stupid I have no problem with him being awarded a loss.

Was a nasty gash on Diego’s head too

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would have no problem with it being a no contest but that’s what weird ass New Mexico has in the books and I can kind of understand the reasoning

after all this is one of the few rules that they have. It was a pretty flagrant violation imo. I think it was a heat of the moment thing but it was so stupid I have no problem with him being awarded a loss.

Was a nasty gash on Diego’s head too

What's the reasoning to understand? That the rule sucks?

Was the gash even from the illegal knee?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What's the reasoning to understand? That the rule sucks?

Was the gash even from the illegal knee?

Well if you go to the cards what’s to stop people from throwing illegal knees when they’re up in the fight to end any chance of a comeback finish?

I don’t think it’s as simple as you’re making it out to be. No contest is probably the best ruling, but what would stop a guy who is losing the fight from throwing an illegal knee to avoid a loss?

There’s a problem with every solution imo. But I can understand one thing- pereira did something blatantly illegal and it landed flush to the head. It was a brutal knee. If they want to call him a loser for that I can’t really blame them. It’s a pretty easy thing to avoid doing. It wasn’t like he was targeting the body or anything

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well if you go to the cards what’s to stop people from throwing illegal knees when they’re up in the fight to end any chance of a comeback finish?

I don’t think it’s as simple as you’re making it out to be. No contest is probably the best ruling, but what would stop a guy who is losing the fight from throwing an illegal knee to avoid a loss?

There’s a problem with every solution imo. But I can understand one thing- pereira did something blatantly illegal and it landed flush to the head. It was a brutal knee. If they want to call him a loser for that I can’t really blame them. It’s a pretty easy thing to avoid doing.

That scenario you've created would be a NC to me. If you are losing the fight and you get an illegal strike and can't continue (ie Diego's situation) it's a NC. If you are winning the fight and get an illegal strike (ie if roles were reversed in that fight) then you get the win. At the end of the day it's a fight, and someone shouldn't be hurt by not being able to fight but they also should not be rewarded.

Reactions: td_ice

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That scenario you've created would be a NC to me. If you are losing the fight and you get an illegal strike and can't continue (ie Diego's situation) it's a NC. If you are winning the fight and get an illegal strike (ie if roles were reversed in that fight) then you get the win. At the end of the day it's a fight, and someone shouldn't be hurt by not being able to fight but they also should not be rewarded.

And that’s something I can get behind but god damn was pereira stupid. Severe lack of octagon IQ

Reactions: td_ice

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
And that’s something I can get behind but god damn was pereira stupid. Severe lack of octagon IQ

For sure. Imagine losing a fight because you got outsmarted by Diego Sanchez of all people.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
For sure. Imagine losing a fight because you got outsmarted by Diego Sanchez of all people.

Diego actually pays his coach ffs! It’s crazy! How do you let this happen if you’re Pereira?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The knee was illegal and no doubt should have been a DQ. He’s was clearly winning, not sure what the hell he was thinking.

From Big John’s podcast,

Those flips Pereira keeps trying while the guy is grounded are also illegal. If he connects on one it’s a foul. I’m not sure what’s going on with this guy

Diego has a clear financial advantage not to continue. Hopefully he takes his money and calls it quits. He didn’t look right in there

member 51464

The knee was illegal and no doubt should have been a DQ. He’s was clearly winning, not sure what the hell he was thinking.

From Big John’s podcast,

Those flips Pereira keeps trying while the guy is grounded are also illegal. If he connects on one it’s a foul. I’m not sure what’s going on with this guy

Diego has a clear financial advantage not to continue. Hopefully he takes his money and calls it quits. He didn’t look right in there

What would the foul be? I thought it's only knees to a downed opponent or kick to the head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad