GDT: UFC 263: Adesanya vs. Vettori 2

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Nate was getting his ass kicked for over 20 minutes, and if he had an ounce of fight IQ he would've immediately gone for the kill against a wobbled Edwards instead of clowning around.

I guess he showed some strategy by trying to throw Edwards off his game, but in reality he got absolutely dominated until one clean punch landed with what, a minute or two left?

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
When hes backed up against the cage, they need to attack his body more instead of trying to head hunt.

Adasanya's strength, is his understanding of angles, footwork, and it just keeps him two steps ahead of his opponents. He's masterful at controlling distance as well, which is why he is so hard to hit. If you hit him and (likely) miss, he makes you pay, every single time. He takes control of the fight early, as he's already in a fighter's head when they realize how good his ground game is as well. He's just never had to use it.

There is nobody in the UFC other than Jon Jones (and maybe a couple others), that would remotely be at his level, and high fight IQ.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
It's what let's him use his cardio and durability to wait and find the openings rather than rushing it.

The volume of damage he takes during a fight until that point, isn't what I'd call high fight IQ.

Gaethje reminds me of Diaz, in that he had the heart to weather any barrage and an iron chin to match it. So many fights where they threw the kitchen sink and everything at him, and the devastating feeling you're out of gas, and he's just getting warmed up.

Horrible strategy as a fighter, as if you're going to enjoy a long career, you must adjust to take as little damage as possible.

Diaz has taken so much damage, that I guarantee you the next hard hitter he faces, cracks his chin.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
My reaction after seeing Nate Diaz take a beatdown for 20 minutes and still have enough left in the tank to almost get the KO in Rd 5:

Guy is a zombie. But I do agree if he pounces on Edwards after landing the combo that wobbled him he may have won it, not sure why he didn't.

Maybe didn't realize how bad he wobbled him? Worried about a rope a dope type tactic? Or just didn't have the energy? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19 and 16Skippy

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
The volume of damage he takes during a fight until that point, isn't what I'd call high fight IQ.

Gaethje reminds me of Diaz, in that he had the heart to weather any barrage and an iron chin to match it. So many fights where they threw the kitchen sink and everything at him, and the devastating feeling you're out of gas, and he's just getting warmed up.

Horrible strategy as a fighter, as if you're going to enjoy a long career, you must adjust to take as little damage as possible.

Diaz has taken so much damage, that I guarantee you the next hard hitter he faces, cracks his chin.

Don't hold your breath...

Diaz is a different human with an undeniable chin. Fighting is ingrained in him and he's able to dig deep when others can't and at least be competitive. He won't be one of the all time greats and no one would argue the way he fights is optimal but I'd say he's done well for himself.

Not like he's been fighting stiffs and his chin have passed every test that's come his way.

He's 36 and has been fighting in the UFC since 2007. He probably doesn't have too many fights left.

Reactions: m9

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

23 fights in the UFC. 33 total MMA fights. Pretty long career and he has at least a few more in him.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
My reaction after seeing Nate Diaz take a beatdown for 20 minutes and still have enough left in the tank to almost get the KO in Rd 5:

Guy is a zombie. But I do agree if he pounces on Edwards after landing the combo that wobbled him he may have won it, not sure why he didn't.

Maybe didn't realize how bad he wobbled him? Worried about a rope a dope type tactic? Or just didn't have the energy? I'm not sure.

I still can't believe he didn't get the finish there! Would have been one of the all time great comebacks.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
He already sounds punch drunk.
Well...yeah. That isn't what you said though. Could also argue anyone doing it for 10+ years fighting savages like Edwards, Masvidal, and McGregor twice is not going to come out in great shape.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Would have been a hilariously profitable night if Diaz had finished Edwards.

A lot of people said Edwards was free money but I took a sizeable bet on Diaz at 5 to 1 return. No regret. Also bet on it going the distance.

"Diaz doesn't lose fights. Just runs out of time".

Reactions: chicagoskycam

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Was busy Saturday night, so a little late here.

Edwards clearly won fair and square, but that was not the type of performance he needed. Even if he finished off R5 like he won R1-4, I don't know that it was enough. Whenever there is a question about who's next, you want to make a statement. A relatively safe, albeit dominating, game plan against a guy in Nate's position and then nearly getting finished is not the statement you want to make. Other than actually winning the fights, every step this guy takes is a mistake. I imagine Colby will get next now and then we will see what happens with Wonderboy-Burns. If Wonderboy wows, he might even skip over Edwards, too.

Nate really is amazing. R1-4 were going how everybody thought they would and somehow Nate still finds a way to steal all the headlines, maintain his star power, and line himself up for another huge fight. I don't know who it will be, but it will be huge because the legend of Nate Diaz seems to grow with every fight regardless of outcome.

Happy for Moreno. Seems like a nice guy. I don't have much to say about the fight itself other than Fig seemed off. Really tentative. I don't know if that was the gameplan or if he was scared of another war, but just didn't seem like he had the same level of confidence. Classy in defeat, though.

Vettori is a nutcase. How he thought he won any of those rounds is beyond me. Sure, he got some takedowns, but he didn't do shit with them. I don't know that I'd say Izzy dominated, but it was a clear 50-45 to me. Whittaker is clearly next, so Izzy calling for it to be in New Zealand was just trying to be the alpha. Glad Izzy won, though, because I want to see Izzy-Whittaker 2. I don't know that it goes any different, but if anybody has ever deserved a rematch after a clear loss, it is Whittaker.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Could also argue anyone doing it for 10+ years fighting savages like Edwards, Masvidal, and McGregor twice is not going to come out in great shape.

Depends on their style.

Letting them tire themselves while punching you in the head, is the worst possible strategy.

Considering you have options in MMA, trying to stand with guys like that seem like a bad choice.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I always thought Vettori was a knob. Well I guess I still think that...but I was rooting for him after he came out to that song from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly lol.

The Flyweight division is getting interesting now, it wasn't long ago that it was rumoured to be scrapped. This is why I don't want them to get rid of the womans flyweight and (maybe) featherweight divisions. They could still turn potentially turn it around in a few years.

Nate's the man even though I was pulling my hair out at the end there, and when he kept pushing Edwards to the fence even though Edwards always reversed it with ease. Hope he stays active while he still has it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

he did his patented finger point and I don’t think he realized how good he caught Edwards. Also, the look on Edwards face was so strange I wasn’t sure if he was screwing around, Nate hesitated as well. Nate came in more measured, as Edwards was just lunging at his legs. It was late but Nate always seems to have something in the tank … kind of wished he finished Edwards.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
he did his patented finger point and I don’t think he realized how good he caught Edwards. Also, the look on Edwards face was so strange I wasn’t sure if he was screwing around, Nate hesitated as well. Nate came in more measured, as Edwards was just lunging at his legs. It was late but Nate always seems to have something in the tank … kind of wished he finished Edwards.
Yeah it was such an exaggerated wobble I thought it may have been fake as well. But a few seconds later and Edwards was on the run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad