GDT: UFC 263: Adesanya vs. Vettori 2

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I wouldn't be surprised if Vettori and Cordeiro part ways. Vettori didn't enjoy being told the truth in the corner between rounds I think Cordeiro sensed it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Vettori and Cordeiro part ways. Vettori didn't enjoy being told the truth in the corner between rounds I think Cordeiro sensed it.
Well, Vettori actually thought he won the fight when he was raising his hand when they read out the score cards.

That was a clear domination.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I also wouldn't be surprised if Izzy defends against Whittaker again then takes a long layoff to make a real move up to light heavy. I'd be down to see him fight Jan again anytime.

member 51464

Well, Vettori actually thought he won the fight when he was raising his hand when they read out the score cards.

That was a clear domination.
That is how you read it? I saw it more as his standard level of asshole and thinking he had at least stolen a round.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Izzy fights to win, he's a tactician. Someone is going to catch that chin though eventually. Came in and dominated though.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I also wouldn't be surprised if Izzy defends against Whittaker again then takes a long layoff to make a real move up to light heavy. I'd be down to see him fight Jan again anytime.

I really like Jan as light heavyweight champ, but I honestly think the top 7 or so are pretty equal level in that division. Would not surprise me if it was a different champ if Izzy goes up again. I do hope Jan last's a while as the champ. Very likable guy.

member 51464

Pedro_Paulet%2C_padre_de_la_Aeronautica.PNG

Moreno before he adopted his baby killer moniker.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
"For all the boxers out there, it's way easier to box when someone ain't throwing kicks at you." - This is the only sentence I understood from Nate's post fight.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I think vettori hurt his left arm first round. Barely threw it

Don't think so, his corner was even saying "double jab and shoot" so that's literally all he did.

I think it was just awful game planning here, he would hit him with the jab and then either shoot and just stalemate on the fence or not follow up the jab.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Izzy won by a mile but he was underwhelming imo. Definitely one of the most overrated fighters going, as talented as he is. Vettori is just delusional, his performance was just bizarre.

Figueredo was way off, maybe it was the weight cut alone but something was definitely...not right. Credit to him for being classy in defeat though. That said, very happy for Moreno. Deserving champion for sure, can't wait to see what's next.

Edwards dominated through 20 minutes yet still didn't look overly impressive, and that 5th round could've been very interesting if Diaz just went all in for the finish immediately. Nate looked bad but Edwards didn't exactly bring a title-worthy performance, not sure what happens there.

Also great stuff from Paul Craig, but that referee should never officiate a fight again.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I think Covington vs. Usman is inevitably the next title fight now. If Edwards had done something remarkable against Nate maybe the UFC would have decided to ride that wave into the next title fight but this performance isn't going to do it. He should be next after Covington v. Usman though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Would’ve liked Adesanya to be a bit more aggressive when it was clear Vettori had nothing for him and he really could’ve done whatever he wanted. Still, it was a smart strategy and it got the job done.

Luke Thomas has talked non-stop about and broken down how good Adesanya’s takedown defense is along the cage and how it’s the middle where he gets into some trouble. Other than catching the kick, I think all of Vettori’s attempts were along the cage and they mostly went nowhere. Even when he got him down, Adesanya used the cage to get back up and also had that one nice reversal when Vettori went for the submission. There was a huge difference in skill and maybe that’s all that needs to be said but Vettori didn’t really even give himself a chance. It seemed like his corner felt that way too. He had no chance to beat Adesanya with how he fought.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
FOTN goes to Dober-Riddell

POTN to Craig and Moreno

Dana better be cutting McKinney a fat check too, kind of a dick move not to give him a bonus

If McKinney didn't mess up his leg celebrating like a dope I have a feeling he would have gotten a bonus.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Dana confirmed Colby is next up before Leon.

Dana thought Moreno had no chance against Figuereido.

Izzy wants to come back in October.

Maia's deal is up, this was his last fight in the UFC.

Reactions: crazychimp

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think Covington vs. Usman is inevitably the next title fight now. If Edwards had done something remarkable against Nate maybe the UFC would have decided to ride that wave into the next title fight but this performance isn't going to do it. He should be next after Covington v. Usman though.

Depends what happens in the Wonderboy vs. Burns fight imo.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
That’s a load of BS. Nate has lasted this long purely on fight IQ, durability and cardio, he’s usually a significant underdog

Nate might not have particularly high regular IQ but he definitely has high fight IQ. It's what let's him use his cardio and durability to wait and find the openings rather than rushing it. Exactly what we saw late in the fight last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->