GDT: UFC 261: Usman vs. Masvidal 2

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
that’s not “getting cut”, that’s fulfilling your contract and becoming a free agent. I guarantee the ufc would have made an offer to bring him back, it just probably wouldn’t be for the money Colby desired

so again- when Colby says he was “about to get cut” he is just using that as a crutch for his shittiness. He was not about to get cut. Maybe he didn’t like what he was offered or going to be offered, but that’s different and far less sympathetic which is why he doesn’t say that

Not sure you grasp the character part of it. That's exactly the situation, the UFC probably even told him he's free to get other offers. The point was the UFC had limited/no desire to retain him or give him opportunities so he had to make them with the character.

Part of that character is likely embellishing situations and being seemingly at odds with the UFC executives. But none the less, the person you see portrayed in TV and media is a character that Colby is putting on so he can earn a better living and be afforded more opportunities. The character/ "shittiness" as you call it, came after he gave his own personality a try and it wasn't earning him an appropriate wage.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not sure you grasp the character part of it. That's exactly the situation, the UFC probably even told him he's free to get other offers. The point was the UFC had limited/no desire to retain him or give him opportunities so he had to make them with the character.

Part of that character is likely embellishing situations and being seemingly at odds with the UFC executives. But none the less, the person you see portrayed in TV and media is a character that Colby is putting on so he can earn a better living and be afforded more opportunities. The character/ "shittiness" as you call it, came after he gave his own personality a try and it wasn't earning him an appropriate wage.

You’re literally doing what I called out in my post and telling me I don’t grasp something lol

And again I don’t think it’s true the ufc had limited interest in retaining him. I’ve been contending that the narrative that he was going to get cut is BS, it’s just not factually true and I refer you to the second paragraph in the post you last quoted.

I honestly should have just copied and pasted that in here instead of responding. Getting contract offers you don’t like =\= getting cut. Sage Northcutt left for better offers. Ray Rodriguez got cut. Colby says he was going to get cut for sympathy so he can continue to be a dickhead and have an “excuse” for it. “Oh it’s a just a character”

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean, he never acted like that before and made a very sudden heel turn. If you watch this interview you can kind of get some insight. He looks pretty genuine there, and honestly it's in his eyes that he almost looks hurt but nobody every really knows. Personally I don't think trying to make money is an excuse to have that kind of persona anyway, but I believe that's why he does it. He's still not half as bad as McGregor and I don't believe that's put on for show at all (until he's got his head beat in and it's...'just business').

This is kind of funny too. (8) Colby Covington Before and After Heel Turn - YouTube

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m not arguing that he did it in part because he wanted to make more money, that’s not the same as being on the chopping block though

And that’s why I think he uses it as a crutch so he can speak out of both sides in his mouth like he proved he does in that interview. He uses this because it looks a lot worse when you say what really happened (“I’m being a dickhead for money” as opposed to “ I’m being a dickhead to save my job”). WAY less sympathy for him.

As far as I’m concerned if you’re willing to do some of the things he’s done for money then it really isn’t a “schtick”, I actually think that’s more of an indictment on his character than anything. So I just don’t buy that excuse from his supporters. I do not think he’s a good person. I do not care if that convicted conman Uncle Chael says he has good character (still love you Chael). It’s nice that he does stuff for the troops but so did Chris Benoit. I just don’t really have a lot of respect for morally bankrupt people. At least spoiling Star Wars was hilarious. More of that.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I’m not arguing that he did it in part because he wanted to make more money, that’s not the same as being on the chopping block though

And that’s why I think he uses it as a crutch so he can speak out of both sides in his mouth like he proved he does in that interview. He uses this because it looks a lot worse when you say what really happened (“I’m being a dickhead for money” as opposed to “ I’m being a dickhead to save my job”). WAY less sympathy for him.

As far as I’m concerned if you’re willing to do some of the things he’s done for money then it really isn’t a “schtick”, I actually think that’s more of an indictment on his character than anything. So I just don’t buy that excuse from his supporters. I do not think he’s a good person. I do not care if that convicted conman Uncle Chael says he has good character (still love you Chael). It’s nice that he does stuff for the troops but so did Chris Benoit. I just don’t really have a lot of respect for morally bankrupt people. At least spoiling Star Wars was hilarious. More of that.
Masvidal, Poirier, Askren and more have all said he's a shithead. I know the former 2 were friends with him at one point, but that's even more of an indictment on him IMO and I trust what those guys say more so than Chael. Chael wrote the blueprint for what Colby is trying to do, so of course he's going to have more sympathy for him. The difference between Chael and Colby is that Chael is a smooth talker, can remember his lines without stuttering, and he's funny. Colby is just obnoxious.

Saying "it's just an act" is almost as bad as him just being a shithead anyway. Then again, I'm not a WWE fan, so maybe it's just not for me.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Home crowd boos away team. In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.

I guess the crowd booed Usman because he's black as well

But Jorge was born, raised, and resides in Florida. He actually was the home team unlike Rose.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
But Jorge was born, raised, and resides in Florida. He actually was the home team unlike Rose.

On top of that he was the draw for the ppv. If Rose headlined a ppv it wouldn’t draw shit for a buy rate. Jorge has an established huge fan base and a ton of them are Floridians

Reactions: 16Skippy

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Home is relative I guess if we are talking about countries. Zhang had a good reception in Vegas against Joanna but I don't think a lot of people like Joanna either. Rose is well-liked but either way, the boos lacked a ton of class. Weili was booed the entire time during introductions and then post-fight, I really felt bad for her not to mention losing her belt and being confused after her 1st ever KO. I wish Rose would have addressed that more but maybe some of her comments led to this. Zhang posted on IG an apology for her reaction post-fight, which I think is totally unnecessary.

For most hardcore UFC fans, this was the fight that was most interesting and up in the air.

FYI - Conor posted he wants to take on Usman, lol

Reactions: 16Skippy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You are pretty naïve and not paying attention to the news if you think there wasn't an element of racism in booing Weili. It doesn't mean if you were rooting for Rose that you're a bigot or even if you booed Weili, but there was of course a segment that was booing just because she is Chinese. That's not even a debate and if you argue otherwise, I can't take you seriously.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It was a nasty injury and will take a long time to heal, but as long as he still has the desire to fight, it should be something that he will be able to heal relatively easily. His days of challenging for the title were over anyway IMO, so a year+ away doesn't really change much for him IMO. Hell, by that time Hall might even be in the perfect position to be his first fight back. Another relatively big name, older, solid fighter but not title challenger. And they will have the back story of this fight.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Also don't overlook the mental aspect of coming back from an injury like that.
Even if he's 100% physically healthy, throwing leg kicks without any doubt or thought of re-injury will be difficult.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Little late to the party but I feel like this card has been overhyped. The buzz following was unreal, which don't get me wrong is a great thing, but at least me personally I was expecting two absolute wars in the co-main events. But people love finishes so I can certainly understand that perspective. I guess for me to have 2 of 5 fights end via injury, and the other 3 not make it out of the 2nd round, that's just not THAT exciting IMO.

As a Weidman fan I couldn't even watch the injury. Just SO unfortunate. I honestly don't know how you ever throw a kick again after that.

Shevchenko is one of the best fighters on the planet, period. The UFC throws that title around way too often, but this girl is great everywhere. She may be the most talented/well-rounded fighter on the roster.

The Rose moment was certainly cool, but I was really hoping for 25 minutes there. With JJ having already lost to both I'd like to see them run it back.

What can you say about Usman. Wow. I'd argue he still gets a little sloppy with his standup at times, but man if you're Colby I don't know how you convince yourself you can beat him.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad