GDT: UFC 261: Usman vs. Masvidal 2

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's just a combo of things but it all ties back to the same thing. Chinese fighter vs white USA fighter in Florida at the time when the crowd is probably the most drunk possible.

I think the media & people trying to turn everything into a race issue is just about the worst thing going in North America right now - but sometimes it just is what it is. I've been to enough live UFCs where everyone is drunk and they're just cheering or booing for the guy or girl who looks like them or is from their country.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean I have access to the Internet, I see the stuff that comes out of the mma community on a daily basis.

people are acting like Rose didn’t make this an America vs Communism thing in the buildup like it was 1955

And that’s fair. I’m just not gonna be willfully ignorant. Zhang was booed specifically because of the fact she’s from China. It is what it is. To each their own though. Think what you want but the truth is evident

again I think Rose apologized because she didn’t mean for that to happen to Zhang and realized the type of sentiment she brewed up. That’s why she gave her speech about loving all cultures and wanting to unite ppl through mma. Some of you can pretend that didn’t happen but I have eyeballs and ear holes

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I mean I have access to the Internet, I see the stuff that comes out of the mma community on a daily basis.

people are acting like Rose didn’t make this an America vs Communism thing in the buildup like it was 1955

And that’s fair. I’m just not gonna be willfully ignorant. Zhang was booed specifically because of the fact she’s from China. It is what it is. To each their own though. Think what you want but the truth is evident

again I think Rose apologized because she didn’t mean for that to happen to Zhang and realized the type of sentiment she brewed up. That’s why she gave her speech about loving all cultures and wanting to unite ppl through mma. Some of you can pretend that didn’t happen but I have eyeballs and ear holes

It was a race thing, but I also don't think what Rose said had anything to do with the crowd. I bet most of the crowd wasn't even aware of her comments or even put much thought into it. That booing was going to happen anyway based on how they look and that it was USA vs another country.

Reactions: WillyNy

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
You're jumping to a lot of conclusions here.

You think USA is the only country that boos people when they fight against the hometown guy? This has nothing to do with hateful nationalism. This is home vs. away. I hate the Flyers, but I don't "hate" the Flyers. I boo the shit out of them. But I don't vote against their best interests or seek out Flyers fans to harass. Come on, man.

This happens literally everywhere on the planet. For f***s sake. It's how sports work and why they're fun. We cheer for our favorite and boo his/her opponent. I know you know this already, I don't know why you're turning into a pathetic, forced political debate.

You should get a job at ESPN. You'd be a perfect fit.

She’s from Milwaukee and fights outta Denver, explain to me what sorta connection anyone in Florida has to her? That’s not home vs away sorta stuff, that’s just straight nationalism, my country vs yours. I didn’t make it political, it was political as soon as people booed her for no good reason.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
The main event was exciting but honestly I didn't love the card. Too many fights ended too soon. With three title fights I was hoping for at least one war. And really the crowd doesn't add anything for me.

Usman getting a lot of well deserved respect. I'm think they'll give him Colby again. The first fight was close but Usman's striking has gotten even better, I don't think Colby will give him any trouble this time. I'd rather see Usman against Edwards if he beats Diaz, or Wonderboy if he gets another win in the mean time.

Rose's finish was awesome too, Weili completely misread that kick. But I didn't like seeing Weili get booed. I think it would be understandable if this was in Rose's hometown or something but I'm pretty sure she's from AZ or COL? So we know that's not why they booed Weili. And also I didn't like losing my parlay lol.

Valentina's fight was more fun than I expected. I was prepared for a 50-45 decision and 5 rounds of Andrade zombie mode walking into jabs. No idea what's next for Valentina.

Reactions: Avs_19, CDJ and m9

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Time for the Champs to start facing each other real soon. Seeing these Champs beat up journeymans like Masvidal for money, or endless trilogies against opponents they’ve beaten before is getting really boring.

If the division is cleaned out already, time to step ur down a division, or invent a catch weight for the champ on champ matchups. Usman may have shaken that boringness out of his style a bit but that doesn’t mean his weightclass is getting more exciting. Hence the need to dig up the most overrated fighter of all time in Masvidal to bring some excitement into the mix.

I'm glad the Masvidal experiment is over. By my count he's now 1-4 vs the current top-15 welterweights, with that one win coming almost eight years ago lol. But I shudder to think who the next Masvidal is going to be. Letting journeymen fighters cut the line sets a poor precedent. I'm hoping Chimaev can ring off a couple more wins and get a shot because if Usman and Adesanya both win their rematches with Covington and Whittaker, the only challenging matchup left for them is each other.

Reactions: Jugitsu

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm glad the Masvidal experiment is over. By my count he's now 1-4 vs the current top-15 welterweights, with that one win coming almost eight years ago lol. But I shudder to think who the next Masvidal is going to be. Letting journeymen fighters cut the line sets a poor precedent. I'm hoping Chimaev can ring off a couple more wins and get a shot because if Usman and Adesanya both win their rematches with Covington and Whittaker, the only challenging matchup left for them is each other.

I think there is plenty for Usman to do at 170lbs. Colby, Edwards, and Wonderboy are all intriguing.

Then you have high-end prospects like Chimaev, Baeza, and Rakhmonov.

Guys like Chiesa & Luque there to bridge the gap.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
She’s from Milwaukee and fights outta Denver, explain to me what sorta connection anyone in Florida has to her? That’s not home vs away sorta stuff, that’s just straight nationalism, my country vs yours. I didn’t make it political, it was political as soon as people booed her for no good reason.

Rose is just more well known in the U.S. You’re starting to see her with more endorsements, Guaranteed Rate Bank, etc. I don’t think most casual fans know Zhang that well.. plus Florida, plus alcohol.

people confuse the government of China with the individual citizens. This has a bit to do with our last President, especially in Florida

I will say Rose was making me nervous pre fight with the look and I’m the best stuff.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
The main event was exciting but honestly I didn't love the card. Too many fights ended too soon. With three title fights I was hoping for at least one war. And really the crowd doesn't add anything for me.

Usman getting a lot of well deserved respect. I'm think they'll give him Colby again. The first fight was close but Usman's striking has gotten even better, I don't think Colby will give him any trouble this time.

I think Colby wrestles him instead this time.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Is Weidman done?

2 - 6 over his last 8 bouts... with all 6 losses being by KO or TKO

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is Weidman done?

2 - 6 over his last 8 bouts... with all 6 losses being by KO or TKO

As a top ten guy? Yes. If he wants to fight again though, I think the UFC will be happy to give him another couple fights.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Pretty sure her first defense was against JJ. She won the belt from Andrade. While, the UFC won’t fully admit it, they got the outcome they wanted. Usually rematches are only granted to “big names” and super close fights.
That's what I said. She had 1 title defense.

And I don't know if they wanted Rose to win. I don't think they hate the fact she did especially in the way she did, but having a Chinese champion in the largest and still untapped market in the world is pretty appealing to the UFC as a business, I'd think.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Usman and Izzy are friends and Usman said he'd never fight him in the post fight presser.

Reactions: CDJ

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You're jumping to a lot of conclusions here.

You think USA is the only country that boos people when they fight against the hometown guy? This has nothing to do with hateful nationalism. This is home vs. away. I hate the Flyers, but I don't "hate" the Flyers. I boo the shit out of them. But I don't vote against their best interests or seek out Flyers fans to harass. Come on, man.

This happens literally everywhere on the planet. For f***s sake. It's how sports work and why they're fun. We cheer for our favorite and boo his/her opponent. I know you know this already, I don't know why you're turning into a pathetic, forced political debate.

You should get a job at ESPN. You'd be a perfect fit.

You are naive if you don't think the only reason Weili was booed because she's Chinese.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Usman and Izzy will never fight each other.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Usman is in a similar place as Khabib was right now. No one in that division is beating him. He's going to torch Colby.

Bad comparison IMO. Usman has a killer win streak and looks great but he's been stunned, he's lost rounds, he's been in very close fights until the finish. When Khabib was on his run he was barely tested. You could say maybe he lost a round v. Connor when they stood the whole round but he wasn't ever hurt or even tested. Usman isn't there yet but I think he's about to be. He looks so good with Wittman and Justin helping him along. He's taking leaps forward.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It’s not very believable-pretty sure he was on a 5 fight win streak when he made those comments

Maybe his contract was up and they weren’t gonna pay him 6 figures a fight because he’s boring as hell. But he certainly wasn’t about to be “cut”. I think that’s just a narrative Colby pushes to justify his shittiness and I think I’m gonna start pushing back on it, because I honestly don’t think it’s grounded in reality

Sage was on a 3 fight win streak and the UFC let him go, they let guys on winning streak go all the time... it's pretty believable that they would do the same to Covington if they didn't like his style. Covington acted completely different up to that fight and then started to put on a character. Why would he put on a character, just for fun? Or to give UFC a reason to keep him around and pay him? Pretty easy to belive imo.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sage was on a 3 fight win streak and the UFC let him go, they let guys on winning streak go all the time... it's pretty believable that they would do the same to Covington if they didn't like his style. Covington acted completely different up to that fight and then started to put on a character. Why would he put on a character, just for fun? Or to give UFC a reason to keep him around and pay him? Pretty easy to belive imo.

The ufc “let Sage go” because he fought out his contract and they weren’t going to pay him what ONE was willing to pay him

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The ufc “let Sage go” because he fought out his contract and they weren’t going to pay him what ONE was willing to pay him

Thats the same point the original poster was making. Colbys contract was probably done and UFC wasn't going to agree on a deal, so UFC was just going to let him go. So he put on a character to increase his value to the UFC so they'd retain him. The point is the character/personality came later, he wasn't always that way and he did it for money and to be put in bigger fights.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thats the same point the original poster was making. Colbys contract was probably done and UFC wasn't going to agree on a deal, so UFC was just going to let him go. So he put on a character to increase his value to the UFC so they'd retain him. The point is the character/personality came later, he wasn't always that way and he did it for money and to be put in bigger fights.

that’s not “getting cut”, that’s fulfilling your contract and becoming a free agent. I guarantee the ufc would have made an offer to bring him back, it just probably wouldn’t be for the money Colby desired

so again- when Colby says he was “about to get cut” he is just using that as a crutch for his shittiness. He was not about to get cut. Maybe he didn’t like what he was offered or going to be offered, but that’s different and far less sympathetic which is why he doesn’t say that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad