GDT: UFC 261: Usman vs. Masvidal 2

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not much to say about Smith/Crute - was shaping up to be a great fight.

Haven't looked directly at Weidman's leg and don't ever plan to. Once I saw Corey Hill's leg look like a dead fish back in the day I just can't look at those anymore. Just awful.

Dominant by Shevchenko.

Rose & Usman both getting highlight KOs against those opponents is amazing. Just awesome to see. I thought there was a chance Usman could clip Masvidal but didn't expect that from Rose at all.

My prediction was that this would be an insanely long card with potentially 5 decisions and 3 title fights. Don't know how I could be more wrong.

Hey Herb Dean - I've said it before, but how do you continuously end up in the worst possible spot when the fight ends? Are you being lazy and hanging out on the other side of the cage. It's amazing at this point.

Wild night of fights overall, pretty fun having that crowd back. Time for Usman to get his props - he's the p4p best right now and it's not that close.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Usman is going to annihilate Masvidal.

Hopefully Usman will quiet this crowd

Hoping Masvidal gets absolutely smoked but on this kind of night, feels like there could be some wild moments.

Hope Usman destroys him.

Hoping Usman embarrasses him

If Usman really beats the **** out of Masvidal I think I'm going to become an Usman fan.

USMAN YOU'RE MY BOY I'LL NEVER SAY YOU'RE NOT COOL AGAIN!!!!
Just got a chance to read the thread after the fact and these were very entertaining to see knowing what unfolds lol!

Also I went with my gut and got a nice reward this time.
Screenshot_20210425-002300_Chrome.jpg

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Time for the Champs to start facing each other real soon. Seeing these Champs beat up journeymans like Masvidal for money, or endless trilogies against opponents they’ve beaten before is getting really boring.

If the division is cleaned out already, time to step ur down a division, or invent a catch weight for the champ on champ matchups. Usman may have shaken that boringness out of his style a bit but that doesn’t mean his weightclass is getting more exciting. Hence the need to dig up the most overrated fighter of all time in Masvidal to bring some excitement into the mix.

Reactions: Korg

striker3

Mar 26, 2019
He clearly landed before the buzzer...

I know he did I probably should have expanded on that. The audio and video on my feed when I watched it the first time wasn’t aligned properly the audio was ahead by enough time that the punch was clearly after the bell. I couldn’t figure out how they weren’t talking about it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll say it again, what a crazy night of fights. It almost seems scripted that it was the first one back with fans. For all the good and the bad from that crowd, it definitely added something.

@m9 and I talked about Usman getting a finish before the fight. I thought it was a possibly, but didn't think it would actually happen. Sure as hell not as clean and vicious as that. Wittman has taken Usman to a whole new level. I know Masvidal didn't deserve this fight, but giving Usman an opportunity against a star as big as Masvidal who had never been finished in the UFC/Strikeforce and to have him finish it like that...it's big. If Colby is the next fight, I think he f***s him up much earlier. I would be more intrigued by Edwards which is not a sentence I ever thought I'd type. Not sure where Masvidal goes from here. Maybe a Nate rematch assuming Nate loses to Edwards. Loses some of the luster if both are coming off losses, especially a brutal KO like that. Maybe do another 5 round co-main.

I thought if Rose won, it was going to be touching and moving for the first 3 rounds and then hanging on in the final rounds. Never would have guessed a first round head kick KO. She has a flair for the dramatic when it comes to winning the belt. If Rose is there mentally, she's tough to beat. I hope they give her the Yan-Esparza winner and not JJ. JJ has lost to her twice and is coming off a loss, as close and as great of a fight as it was. Make JJ fight Rodriguez or something like that to earn her title shot. I like Weili and think she will be back, but no way she should get an immediate rematch. 1 title defense and then getting smoked in the first round in a division as loaded as SW sets you back a few spots. My homegirl Tatiana Suarez is supposedly looking to make a return this summer as well.

Valentina-Andrade is the only fight that went as expected for me. The only mildly surprising thing about it was just how much stronger she was than Andrade in the clinch. Valentina lived up her part, now Nunes has to beat Pena and I think we get Nunes-Valentina 3. It's the only fight that the fans want to see.

I hope Weidman makes a full recovery. Anderson was out for a year, so if Weidman follows a similar timeline, then he'd be roughly 38. I think he fights again. He's not going to want to go out like that. Although, Anderson was on steroids. I'm sure that's not how Hall wanted to win, but he gets his win bonus and a record that will never be broken. Least amount of strikes thrown in a (T)KO win.

I think Crute's injury was just a nerve thing, so hopefully he just needs some time off. That was shaping up to be a good fight. Crute with the leg kicks of his own and Smith with that jab. How about Smith-Santos rematch but this time at LHW?

Prelims were solid, too, but I'm tired of typing.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I was teaching in China when she won the belt, and I was so pumped to discuss it with my students- they had no clue what mma was, didn’t care. 1.3 billion people, the NBA is huge there after Yao Ming- idk how it is now, but i just can’t help thinking the UFC has dropped the ball in some way. Idk how you fix stupidity, but having the Chinese champ booed for no good reason is not a great look, and will not help build the sport in the world’s most populous nation. Politics aside because it’s not like the US is any cleaner- idk, US nationalism is a bit more hateful than anything I experienced personally in China, and that’s pretty f***ed up.

I just think it was a very pro Rose card mixed in with some idiots. Zhangs last fight in the US she was cheered.

Also when Zhang was running around and being held back, they may have thought there was a scuffle post fight. You have to remember, when you’re there it’s hard to tell what’s actually happening for most of them

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I'll say it again, what a crazy night of fights. It almost seems scripted that it was the first one back with fans. For all the good and the bad from that crowd, it definitely added something.

@m9 and I talked about Usman getting a finish before the fight. I thought it was a possibly, but didn't think it would actually happen. Sure as hell not as clean and vicious as that. Wittman has taken Usman to a whole new level. I know Masvidal didn't deserve this fight, but giving Usman an opportunity against a star as big as Masvidal who had never been finished in the UFC/Strikeforce and to have him finish it like that...it's big. If Colby is the next fight, I think he f***s him up much earlier. I would be more intrigued by Edwards which is not a sentence I ever thought I'd type. Not sure where Masvidal goes from here. Maybe a Nate rematch assuming Nate loses to Edwards. Loses some of the luster if both are coming off losses, especially a brutal KO like that. Maybe do another 5 round co-main.

I thought if Rose won, it was going to be touching and moving for the first 3 rounds and then hanging on in the final rounds. Never would have guessed a first round head kick KO. She has a flair for the dramatic when it comes to winning the belt. If Rose is there mentally, she's tough to beat. I hope they give her the Yan-Esparza winner and not JJ. JJ has lost to her twice and is coming off a loss, as close and as great of a fight as it was. Make JJ fight Rodriguez or something like that to earn her title shot. I like Weili and think she will be back, but no way she should get an immediate rematch. 1 title defense and then getting smoked in the first round in a division as loaded as SW sets you back a few spots. My homegirl Tatiana Suarez is supposedly looking to make a return this summer as well.

Valentina-Andrade is the only fight that went as expected for me. The only mildly surprising thing about it was just how much stronger she was than Andrade in the clinch. Valentina lived up her part, now Nunes has to beat Pena and I think we get Nunes-Valentina 3. It's the only fight that the fans want to see.

I hope Weidman makes a full recovery. Anderson was out for a year, so if Weidman follows a similar timeline, then he'd be roughly 38. I think he fights again. He's not going to want to go out like that. Although, Anderson was on steroids. I'm sure that's not how Hall wanted to win, but he gets his win bonus and a record that will never be broken. Least amount of strikes thrown in a (T)KO win.

I think Crute's injury was just a nerve thing, so hopefully he just needs some time off. That was shaping up to be a good fight. Crute with the leg kicks of his own and Smith with that jab. How about Smith-Santos rematch but this time at LHW?

Prelims were solid, too, but I'm tired of typing.

Pretty sure her first defense was against JJ. She won the belt from Andrade. While, the UFC won’t fully admit it, they got the outcome they wanted. Usually rematches are only granted to “big names” and super close fights.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I was teaching in China when she won the belt, and I was so pumped to discuss it with my students- they had no clue what mma was, didn’t care. 1.3 billion people, the NBA is huge there after Yao Ming- idk how it is now, but i just can’t help thinking the UFC has dropped the ball in some way. Idk how you fix stupidity, but having the Chinese champ booed for no good reason is not a great look, and will not help build the sport in the world’s most populous nation. Politics aside because it’s not like the US is any cleaner- idk, US nationalism is a bit more hateful than anything I experienced personally in China, and that’s pretty f***ed up.

You're jumping to a lot of conclusions here.

You think USA is the only country that boos people when they fight against the hometown guy? This has nothing to do with hateful nationalism. This is home vs. away. I hate the Flyers, but I don't "hate" the Flyers. I boo the shit out of them. But I don't vote against their best interests or seek out Flyers fans to harass. Come on, man.

This happens literally everywhere on the planet. For f***s sake. It's how sports work and why they're fun. We cheer for our favorite and boo his/her opponent. I know you know this already, I don't know why you're turning into a pathetic, forced political debate.

You should get a job at ESPN. You'd be a perfect fit.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I absolutely think the only reason Zhang was booed is because she’s Chinese. I honestly think to believe otherwise is to be willfully ignorant

hit me with the “you should work at ESPN” “PC” nonsense but that’s 100% why she was booed. I know MMA fans and see them online, you can’t tell me otherwise. You can bury your head in the sand if it makes you feel better but that’s not me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s not a great look considering what happened 2 months ago in the state next door but I digress. I am often times embarrassed to be associated with the sport I love so much.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

people trying to discredit this post by saying she got booed for being champ are so far out to lunch that it would be hysterical if it wasn’t so willfully stupid

The only time she’s ever been borderline unlikable is after she got KO’d and I’m willing to give her a pass on that because she just got KO’d.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I absolutely think the only reason Zhang was booed is because she’s Chinese. I honestly think to believe otherwise is to be willfully ignorant

hit me with the “you should work at ESPN” “PC” nonsense but that’s 100% why she was booed. I know MMA fans and see them online, you can’t tell me otherwise. You can bury your head in the sand if it makes you feel better but that’s not me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s not a great look considering what happened 2 months ago in the state next door but I digress

I just took the boos as they were a very pro-Rose crowd...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Hall could've made the ultimate heel turn if he'd pounced on Weidman's leg and locked in a heel hook...

#HeelTurnHeelHook

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I just took the boos as they were a very pro-Rose crowd...

They were absolutely very-pro Rose but I don’t think it had a ton to do with Rose, if she fought Angela Hill I don’t think you see the same thing

I think rose’s comments in the lead up may have led to some of the heat Zhang got and I think Rose never intended for that and that’s why she clarified post-fight

dss97

Aug 30, 2010

Champs just keep piling up for Wittman.

I see Chimaev as the future champ at 170, but I don’t see anyone else with the skill set to beat Usman now that he’s become dangerous with his striking, maybe Wonderboy can outpoint him but that’s still pretty unlikely imo.

Reactions: CDJ

Apr 9, 2009
USA

It’s not a great look considering what happened 2 months ago in the state next door but I digress. I am often times embarrassed to be associated with the sport I love so much.

I'm sure there are some bigots in the crowd, but implying that the only reason she was booed is because she is Chinese is f***ing embarrassing. You guys aren't this stupid.

Calling others willfully ignorant for not thinking there was an entire arena full of bigots is quite an opinion.

EDIT: Changed banned to booed.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm sure there are some idiots, but implying that the only reason she was banned is because she is Chinese is f***ing embarrassing.

I assume you mean booed and ok lol stick your head in the sand if you want- I’m pretty comfortable knowing I’m 100% correct here

I’m very much not embarrassed

Reactions: darko

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I assume you mean booed and ok lol stick your head in the sand if you want- I’m pretty comfortable knowing I’m 100% correct here

I never said there wasn't a problem with racism in America. I said the entire stadium wasn't booing because she was Chinese. That's f***ing idiocy and the fact that you say you're 100% correct tells shows me the amount of thought you've actually put into this.

I was rooting for Rose. Does that mean I hate the Chinese? lol, no. Guys, it's not this hard to grasp.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I never said there wasn't a problem with racism in America. I said the entire stadium wasn't booing because she was Chinese. That's f***ing idiocy and the fact that you say you're 100% correct tells shows me the amount of thought you've actually put into this.

I was rooting for Rose. Does that mean I hate the Chinese? lol, no. Guys, it's not this hard to grasp.

Hahahahahaha yeah man they were booing her because she was champion like they booed Valentina in the prior fight, right? Oh wait....

Yeah I’m the idiot here. Don’t gulp too much sand down there

Reactions: darko

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Hahahahahaha yeah man they were booing her because she was champion like they booed Valentina in the prior fight, right? Oh wait....

Yeah I’m the idiot here. Don’t gulp too much sand down there

Like I said before - the crowd is always heavily rooting for their homegrown talent. This happens literally everywhere. Valentina vs. Andrade isn't even an applicable comparison.

I've seen this happen in every sport I've ever watched since I was a child. You have too, for some reason you're just making a terrible argument here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->