GDT: UFC 256: Figueiredo vs. Moreno

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Oliveira's win was impressive because it was over Ferguson but it really wasn't a "POTN" candidate to me. They rarely give it to non-finishes anyway.
I don't think it's wrong to take level of competition into account when picking POTN and I don't think you should need a finish. I'd also disagree that it was Tony was the only reason it was impressive. He dominated and against 99.99% of the UFC roster he would have had a first round sub.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't think it's wrong to take level of competition into account when picking POTN and I don't think you should need a finish. I'd also disagree that it was Tony was the only reason it was impressive. He dominated and against 99.99% of the UFC roster he would have had a first round sub.

yeah tony is a mutant, most people die in that arm bar

I agree that dominant performances like that do deserve consideration for POTN but they just don’t really ever reward that it seems like

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
yeah tony is a mutant, most people die in that arm bar

I agree that dominant performances like that do deserve consideration for POTN but they just don’t really ever reward that it seems like
They don't, but they should.

POTN to me is, all things considered, who had the most impressive performance? To me that was pretty clearly Holland (for the manner in which he got that KO) and Oliveira (for how dominant he was against high level competition).

Not to take anything away from Fiziev, Cub, or even Gane, but those were all pretty standard TKO's. Fiziev is a Muay Thai fighter who KO'ed an unranked guy who's mainly known for his BJJ. Cub KO'ed a 35 year old who had already been cut by the UFC. Gane KO'ed a guy who was KO'ed in his previous 3 fights. Like I said in a previous post, on most nights, those are POTN. I just thought Holland and Oliveira had the best performances.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I have to admit, I have a big crush of Dern. Am I the only one. Something about her.

Yes Dern is low-key hot.
Good to see you too.
Have boxing on TV and UFC on laptop.
Cheers!

I was saying last night, she reminds me of Anna Kendrick if Anna Kendrick had her nose broken several times.

Ironically, I made that comment like a minute before her nose got broken, and she said it was her first time.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They don't, but they should.

POTN to me is, all things considered, who had the most impressive performance? To me that was pretty clearly Holland (for the manner in which he got that KO) and Oliveira (for how dominant he was against high level competition).

Not to take anything away from Fiziev, Cub, or even Gane, but those were all pretty standard TKO's. Fiziev is a Muay Thai fighter who KO'ed an unranked guy who's mainly known for his BJJ. Cub KO'ed a 35 year old who had already been cut by the UFC. Gane KO'ed a guy who was KO'ed in his previous 3 fights. Like I said in a previous post, on most nights, those are POTN. I just thought Holland and Oliveira had the best performances.

Sure, but that's your own criteria and obviously not what the UFC uses so I'm not sure why you would be surprised. I never even considered him an option for it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm surprised to see some people questioning the point deduction. I think it was a good call by the ref and something more refs should do. Figueiredo already committed one blatant foul when he used the eye poke to try and get up and was warned for it. Then the point was taken on the next foul, which was a pretty bad groin strike. I'm pretty sure the fighters are already warned in the back before the fight too.

I liked this three man announce team before but these last few events haven't been good. Last night it was mainly just during the main event where as on the previous card it was all throughout. Rogan has probably been the biggest reason why I've found them annoying at times. The non-stop ohhhhhhhhs from Rogan have gotten out of control and he's also getting stuff wrong.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sure, but that's your own criteria and obviously not what the UFC uses so I'm not sure why you would be surprised. I never even considered him an option for it.
Then they should go back to calling it Knockout of the Night because it wasn't the best performance.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm surprised to see some people questioning the point deduction. I think it was a good call by the ref and something more refs should do. Figueiredo already committed one blatant foul when he used the eye poke to try and get up and was warned for it. Then the point was taken on the next foul, which was a pretty bad groin strike. I'm pretty sure the fighters are already warned in the back before the fight too.

I liked this three man announce team before but these last few events haven't been good. Last night it was mainly just during the main event where as on the previous card it was all throughout. Rogan has probably been the biggest reason why I've found them annoying at times. The non-stop ohhhhhhhhs from Rogan have gotten out of control and he's also getting stuff wrong.
It was a bold call, but it was the right one IMO. You have to take into account how the foul effects the rest of the fight. Figueiredo got a 2min rest while Moreno was dry heaving. That's worth a point.

I've lost it for Anik-Rogan-DC, too. Rogan and DC are having too good of a time instead of providing insights on what's happening. I mean to break stuff down live perfectly is an impossible task, but that's what commentary is there for. Rogan's leaning too much on the oh's and DC has fallen in love with the reaction shots of him when someone gets KO'ed. I thought Rogan was brutal during the co-main, too. I commented last night when he said Tony-Gaethje was competitive and he really wanted Oliveira to not be downed with that upkick. You could really tell he was pulling for his friend's fighter.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It was a bold call, but it was the right one IMO. You have to take into account how the foul effects the rest of the fight. Figueiredo got a 2min rest while Moreno was dry heaving. That's worth a point.

I've lost it for Anik-Rogan-DC, too. Rogan and DC are having too good of a time instead of providing insights on what's happening. I mean to break stuff down live perfectly is an impossible task, but that's what commentary is there for. Rogan's leaning too much on the oh's and DC has fallen in love with the reaction shots of him when someone gets KO'ed. I thought Rogan was brutal during the co-main, too. I commented last night when he said Tony-Gaethje was competitive and he really wanted Oliveira to not be downed with that upkick. You could really tell he was pulling for his friend's fighter.

Good point about the co-main. Not Rogan's best moments during that fight either. I like when broadcasts add some fun and entertainment but they're shifting a bit too much in that direction.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Good point about the co-main. Not Rogan's best moments during that fight either. I like when broadcasts add some fun and entertainment but they're shifting a bit too much in that direction.
Totally. That's why they used to be my favorite trio.

It doesn't explain away everything, but I do wonder how not having a crowd effects things. Rogan's hearing every punch and reacting. If there was a crowd they might get drowned out and he might let them pass by or something more along the lines of "XYZ lands a left" instead of "Ohhhhhhhh!!!!"

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not that I always agree with Luke either, but....

I went back the last 20-25 cards and didn't find a single performance of the night for a non-finish. I don't know how far it goes back, but probably awhile. Maybe there's a card with no finishes at some point and they have no choice.

It's weird to me that people like Luke Thomas expected Oliveira to get a bonus last night. It's just not something that happens and they should know that.

To be fair it's also weird to me that fans care at all about the bonuses in the first place.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Totally. That's why they used to be my favorite trio.

It doesn't explain away everything, but I do wonder how not having a crowd effects things. Rogan's hearing every punch and reacting. If there was a crowd they might get drowned out and he might let them pass by or something more along the lines of "XYZ lands a left" instead of "Ohhhhhhhh!!!!"

Commentary is so much about the guys playing off each other and I just think Rogan isn't around enough to get in a proper groove with the other guys.

I hate the 3man booth. I would rather they just have Anik/Rogan a few times a year if they insist on Rogan being there.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I went back the last 20-25 cards and didn't find a single performance of the night for a non-finish. I don't know how far it goes back, but probably awhile. Maybe there's a card with no finishes at some point and they have no choice.

It's weird to me that people like Luke Thomas expected Oliveira to get a bonus last night. It's just not something that happens and they should know that.

To be fair it's also weird to me that fans care at all about the bonuses in the first place.
None of that is as weird as someone who doesn't care about POTN bonuses taking the time and expending the energy to look up 25 nights worth of POTN bonuses to 'disprove' someone else's opinion on who should of got the POTN bonus :laugh:

What the UFC did in the past for POTN bonuses is whatever. It doesn't change my opinion. It's not the first thing I disagree with the UFC on and it won't be the last.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I have no problem with "Ohhhhhhhh!!!!" if it's warranted but they are doing it for even jabs now. The "he's hurt!" is also becoming overused.

I find they are at their best when they are explaining the ground game and positions that fighters should take to maneuver/gain control.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Anik-DC-Cruz is the best booth imo

Rogan lost his fastball a long time ago imo. I appreciate him for what he did for the sport but I just feel like he’s baked out of his mind during the card. And that’s fine because so am I but he really needs to tone it down and stop pushing his own personal agenda, even if it is unintentional

Reactions: KapG

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Anik-DC-Cruz is the best booth imo

Rogan lost his fastball a long time ago imo. I appreciate him for what he did for the sport but I just feel like he’s baked out of his mind during the card. And that’s fine because so am I but he really needs to tone it down and stop pushing his own personal agenda, even if it is unintentional

DC can get carried away too. He was pretty bad last night.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
DC can get carried away too. He was pretty bad last night.

That comes out in a big way when he’s with Rogan. The broadcast is best when he’s the humor/insight guy, there’s an analyst who is serious, and Anik because Anik is amazing

I think I said it a couple weeks ago but Dan Hardy has become my favorite out of all of them. They just don’t really use him away from his usual partner- that British play by play dude does a great job too. I like Bisping As well. The UK has the PBP/analyst game on lock

have they ever put Bisping with Hardy and the British PBP guy or is that too much accent in one place for the ufc lol?

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That comes out in a big way when he’s with Rogan. The broadcast is best when he’s the humor/insight guy, there’s an analyst who is serious, and Anik because Anik is amazing

I think I said it a couple weeks ago but Dan Hardy has become my favorite out of all of them. They just don’t really use him away from his usual partner- that British play by play dude does a great job too. I like Bisping As well. The UK has the PBP/analyst game on lock

have they ever put Bisping with Hardy and the British PBP guy or is that too much accent in one place for the ufc lol?
I don't know if he still does, but I think Bisping used to live in LA. He used to always be in studio for UFC Tonight and I doubt he was flying in weekly from England for that show.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't know if he still does, but I think Bisping used to live in LA. He used to always be in studio for UFC Tonight and I doubt he was flying in weekly from England for that show.

Oh he still lives in CA, I think his son is a high level wrestler in high school or something

from the sound of things the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree in terms of fighting spirit. I remember a handful of years ago when he’d ask his kids who they thought would win his fight and they’d always reply with the opponent :laugh:

Reactions: pistolpete11

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I have no problem with "Ohhhhhhhh!!!!" if it's warranted but they are doing it for even jabs now. The "he's hurt!" is also becoming overused.

I find they are at their best when they are explaining the ground game and positions that fighters should take to maneuver/gain control.

Joe and DC do a great job when explaining details but they just need to calm down. The constant yelling with every strike is really annoying at this point and should be reserved for a big KO. I'm not sure if they have a good view because some of the ohhhhh/wow's are on fairly standard strikes. They just end up yelling over each other, I have to guess it's annoying to the fighters as the place is empty.

Rogan is commentating like he's on his couch at home at times.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Champ was in the hospital twice on Friday- first time from 230-6 because he threw up and started to feel terribly after eating a soup during the rehydration period. Then again at like 2 AM because his belly was strangely bloated and he was in a lot of pain.

It’s either food poisoning or weight cut related

member 51464

Champ was in the hospital twice on Friday- first time from 230-6 because he threw up and started to feel terribly after eating a soup during the rehydration period. Then again at like 2 AM because his belly was strangely bloated and he was in a lot of pain.

It’s either food poisoning or weight cut related
I feel like he would have been put on an IV if it was food poisoning. But then he wouldn't have been eligible to fight, would he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->