GDT: UFC 248: Adesanya vs. Romero

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Romero went in with one strategy and refused to adapt. He stood there and got leg kicked to the point that he lost the fight. And he’s trying to call out the guy who literally just took what he was given. Free leg kicks, all night. Most boring fight ever and the dude who lost still doesn’t know why. He expected Adesanya to play right into his strategy. He’s still waiting for his big moment!

Aside from the lame main event, good card. GOAT ladies fight and some excitement before that.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

bov

Nov 13, 2010
What an amazing fight between Zhang and Joanna, best I have seen in quite some time.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Adesanya decision victory +145 worked out a lot differently than I expected but it worked out well

Yoel has been in some wars, if there’s anything to take solace in I’m glad he didn’t take damage. Same goes for a guy I want to fight for a decade like Izzy.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Izzy will have a short peak here. He has already fought almost 80 kickboxing fights. He is going to be vulnerable going forward.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Really hope Vegas views Costa as the dog in the upcoming matchup...

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Main event really sucked. Can't hate on Izzy too much cause he fought smart, but Yoel really shit the bed. Got a title shot he didn't deserve and did nothing, an absolute joke.

Reactions: Avs_19 and DaaaaB's

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Main event really sucked. Can't hate on Izzy too much cause he fought smart, but Yoel really shit the bed. Got a title shot he didn't deserve and did nothing, an absolute joke.

And this is why scorecard fighting sucks, I don’t have the statistics but I’m willing to bet that most successful title defenses go to the judges and most changes are by ko or submission

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
And this is why scorecard fighting sucks, I don’t have the statistics but I’m willing to bet that most successful title defenses go to the judges and most changes are by ko or submission
You have to "beat" the champ to be the champ.

Any close fights should goto the champ.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
You have to "beat" the champ to be the champ.

Any close fights should goto the champ.

That's what I'm saying, change the scorecard rules for championship fights, something like the challenger has to win by 4 points or something, that way he/she has to constantly take the fight to the champion and the champion can't be passive either or they'll get docked.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Romero compared himself to Mike Tyson in the press conference. He said after Romero hit Adesanya that first time that Adesanya didn't want anything. Said everyone's plans change when they get hit. I've jumbled some of the words around, but that was the gist of it.

Can someone tell this dude he lost?

Reactions: ZDH

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Costa will be a dog for sure. Probably will be around +150 or more.

I'll be jumping ship, Costa (unlike Romero) is actually going to try and fight and I don't see any way Izzy can survive that for 5 rounds.

Credit to Romero though that was probably his best strategy to try and beat Izzy. He effectively turned a 5 round fight into a 3 round fight by turtling 2 rounds. His cardio is absolute dogshit so that was very smart. However, once Izzy started connecting on more and more distance strike from Round 3 onwards Romero has to adjust and he didn't which is when the wheels fell off. Should've came out flying in Round 4, throw all caution to the wind, and fight like a man possessed. His corner has to tell him at that point that hes no longer ahead and cant just stick to the exact same strategy now.

He could also try to wrestle once or twice but I'm beginning to realize now that Romero doesn't wrestle because he simply doesn't have the stamina to wrestle. It takes too much out of him. He started showing signs of fatigue in Round 3 even which in any other fight would be normal for a fighter except the first two rounds in this one were as taxing as doing a loop around Costco. I know everyone was saying 2-0 Romero after 2 rounds but the judges don't like it when you stand in the middle and throw a single counter punch in the entire round and one of the judges even gave the 2nd to Adesanya which I'm completely cool with.

And then to have the audacity to rant after the fight about how Adesanya didn't stand still in front of him to eat fists for 5 rounds....

Dana called him on it too.

“I do (think it was Romero’s fault),” White said. “He literally went out and stood in the middle of the … when the bell rang in the first round, just stood there with his hands up. You know what I mean? You’re going in and facing the world champion. This is your last shot at a championship. You shouldn’t even be here getting this title fight. It should be Paulo Costa. If he didn’t get hurt, you don’t even get this opportunity. You go in, and you do everything you can to win that fight. He literally did none of that.”

“A path back to the title after that performance?” White said. “You’re crazy even asking that question right now. He looked terrible tonight. He literally gave up an opportunity tonight. Maybe he comes back in his next fight and looks like Yoel Romero."

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
That's what I'm saying, change the scorecard rules for championship fights, something like the challenger has to win by 4 points or something, that way he/she has to constantly take the fight to the champion and the champion can't be passive either or they'll get docked.

Why? This will never happen. Romero's strategy for the 1st round was fine but going into the 4th he had to do something and didn't. That's on him and he lost. He seemed like he only wanted to trade with Izzy on his terms, so he took a ton of leg kicks. Romero's decision and it created a really boring fight that he ended up losing.

Reactions: td_ice

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'll be jumping ship, Costa (unlike Romero) is actually going to try and fight and I don't see any way Izzy can survive that for 5 rounds.

Credit to Romero though that was probably his best strategy to try and beat Izzy. He effectively turned a 5 round fight into a 3 round fight by turtling 2 rounds. His cardio is absolute dogshit so that was very smart. However, once Izzy started connecting on more and more distance strike from Round 3 onwards Romero has to adjust and he didn't which is when the wheels fell off. Should've came out flying in Round 4, throw all caution to the wind, and fight like a man possessed. His corner has to tell him at that point that hes no longer ahead and cant just stick to the exact same strategy now.

He could also try to wrestle once or twice but I'm beginning to realize now that Romero doesn't wrestle because he simply doesn't have the stamina to wrestle. It takes too much out of him. He started showing signs of fatigue in Round 3 even which in any other fight would be normal for a fighter except the first two rounds in this one were as taxing as doing a loop around Costco. I know everyone was saying 2-0 Romero after 2 rounds but the judges don't like it when you stand in the middle and throw a single counter punch in the entire round and one of the judges even gave the 2nd to Adesanya which I'm completely cool with.

And then to have the audacity to rant after the fight about how Adesanya didn't stand still in front of him to eat fists for 5 rounds....

“I do (think it was Romero’s fault),” White said. “He literally went out and stood in the middle of the … when the bell rang in the first round, just stood there with his hands up. You know what I mean? You’re going in and facing the world champion. This is your last shot at a championship. You shouldn’t even be here getting this title fight. It should be Paulo Costa. If he didn’t get hurt, you don’t even get this opportunity. You go in, and you do everything you can to win that fight. He literally did none of that.”

“A path back to the title after that performance?” White said. “You’re crazy even asking that question right now. He looked terrible tonight. He literally gave up an opportunity tonight. Maybe he comes back in his next fight and looks like Yoel Romero."

In terms of Costa, I really don't trust his cardio in a 5-round high paced fight. But yeah, he will force things and make it a fight for as long as he can.

The thing that bothered me about Romero in regards to his wrestling was that he had an opportunity to steal a couple of close rounds by securing a late takedown and following up with a couple of shots. There's no reason that he shouldn't have tried for a takedown at the end of many of those rounds. Also no reason why he couldn't have used the clinch more to grind away. It was a garbage gameplan and I'm glad he wasn't rewarded with a cheap win.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
In terms of Costa, I really don't trust his cardio in a 5-round high paced fight. But yeah, he will force things and make it a fight for as long as he can.

Thats true both he and Yoel were pretty equally tired in their bout...

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Why? This will never happen. Romero's strategy for the 1st round was fine but going into the 4th he had to do something and didn't. That's on him and he lost. He seemed like he only wanted to trade with Izzy on his terms, so he took a ton of leg kicks. Romero's decision and it created a really boring fight that he ended up losing.

Yes and how many boring fights has there been in UFC Championships because of passive fighting? Quite a few.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

that’s the exact reason why I think Izzy will win they fight

Dudes a counter striker. Couldn’t counter strike last night because there was nothing to counter

As far as Romero’s gas tank goes I think you’re exaggerating his problems. You see the Whittaker fights? He’s been the distance in some of the biggest wars in ufc history. He doesn’t wrestle because he’s awful at keeping people on the ground, has nothing to do with his gas tank. It’s a waste of his time unless he wants to try and create a scramble from that- he effectively did it once last night iirc. Plus he’s an elite boxer. I saw zero signs of fatigue last night. He was doing rolling thunder for crying out loud lol

he’s just a unique fighter. He tries to lull ppl into losing focus and then he explodes. His style lends itself to decision losses at the highest level though

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Main event sucked. I think both guys are to blame but I put more of it on Romero. It didn't make a lot of sense for Adesanya to get reckless while he stood there with his hands up. I don't consider what Adesanya was doing "running" either. Sure, he ran out of the way of a couple of charges from Romero but he's not going to just stand there while someone is running at him throwing haymakers. The rest of the "running" was using smart footwork and getting his shots in from the outside. Romero expecting Adesanya to fight his fight and then not making any adjustments to that gameplan or mixing in some grappling to at the very least steal some rounds was bizarre and his post-fight comments came off delusional. Still, Adesanya isn't blameless either as he could've made it more of a fight without being too reckless but was mostly just content scoring points on the outside.

Co-main was a great fight. We always do this in the moment but that really might've been the greatest women's fight ever. I thought 48-47 for Weili was the right decision. She appeared to be fading a bit but then picked it up and landed the more impactful blows towards the end. I didn't give Joanna enough credit going in but she looked good and showed how crazy tough she is. That thing growing on her head was nasty. Lets hope Rose gets by Andrade because Weili vs. Rose could be another really good one.

Nice recovery and KO by Dariush.

Magny looked outstanding. He has beaten bigger names and better fighters but that was one of his best performances.

It's good to have O'Malley back. He should get a step up in competition but I think they should still slow play it. Hopefully he gets back in there really soon after taking no damage.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yes and how many boring fights has there been in UFC Championships because of passive fighting? Quite a few.

You’re essentially putting the challenger in a severe deficit with that system, all the champ has to do is play defense. That would be worse, the system is fine. Romero decided to be a goof - not much you can do and he didn’t win. You can’t start gaming the system so every fight is like the CO main event.

other than the Izzy fight the rest of them,
Including the prelims were really good.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

The thing that bothered me about Romero in regards to his wrestling was that he had an opportunity to steal a couple of close rounds by securing a late takedown and following up with a couple of shots. There's no reason that he shouldn't have tried for a takedown at the end of many of those rounds. Also no reason why he couldn't have used the clinch more to grind away. It was a garbage gameplan and I'm glad he wasn't rewarded with a cheap win.

people think that because he was an Olympian that Yoel is a good mma wrestler...in reality he has zero top control. He does not keep people down. Collegiate wrestling sets you up better for MMA than Olympic level freestyle imo. They Learn how to ride their opponent more effectively since they aren’t allowed to rely on clasping their hands. So once they get in a cage and are allowed to do so it’s like a vacation for them

member 51464

Anyone ever consider that maybe Romero doesn't try to wrestle because he is afraid of submissions? Obviously gas tank is part of it, but I'm thinking the due just may know he doesn't have good submission defense.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
people think that because he was an Olympian that Yoel is a good mma wrestler...in reality he has zero top control. He does not keep people down. Collegiate wrestling sets you up better for MMA than Olympic level freestyle imo. They Learn how to ride their opponent more effectively since they aren’t allowed to rely on clasping their hands. So once they get in a cage and are allowed to do so it’s like a vacation for them

I agree his wrestling is a bit overrated when it comes to MMA. I think there is little doubt he's still a far superior wrestler to Adesanya and could have used that to his advantage.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Anyone ever consider that maybe Romero doesn't try to wrestle because he is afraid of submissions? Obviously gas tank is part of it, but I'm thinking the due just may know he doesn't have good submission defense.

There is zero reason for him to be worried about Adesanya submitting him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad