GDT: UFC 238: Cejudo vs. Moraes

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm aware so you can stop patronizing me. Khabib is bigger, stronger, and too good of a grappler for Ferguson or anyone else at 155. He's just a different kind of animal.

He can try that strategy all he wants, but he'll get smashed like everyone else.
My point is that you don't know Khabib is a better grappler, let alone a better MMA fighter. Tony is a national champion wrestler and a legit BJJ belt belt. Khabib has never faced anyone like that. I admit that Tony has never faced anyone like Khabib either, but I'm not the one pretending like I know what would happen between 2 world class MMA fighters.

Last edited:
Reactions: vladdy16

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Ferguson is the only guy I can think of at 155 with a skill set that could possibly beat Khabib. Plus that fight has been scheduled and cancelled what 3 times already? Needs to happen.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Excellent fighter, but his entire new persona since becoming champ is as you said total cringe.
It was cringe before that. I watched his TUF with Joey B (for some reason). Joey B. was cringe. Cejudo was 10x as cringey.

Completely disagree Love his new character. He was way too bland before
See below. Unless you're into WWE, it's so fake and gross.

It's fake as hell and thus pathetic and annoying.

Defend your title at least...
Technically...he did. Cejudo-TJ was at 125lbs.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
My point is that you don't know Khabib is a better grappler, let alone a better MMA fighter. Tony is a national champion wrestler and a legit BJJ belt belt. Khabib has never faced anyone like that. I admit that Tony has never faced anyone like Khabib either, but I'm not the one pretending like I know would happen between 2 world class MMA fighters.
I'm not pretending to know anything. I'm just giving my opinion which in this case is an opinion I feel very strongly about. If they fight and I end up being wrong I will own my words.

Also, referring to Ferguson as a national champion wrestler is a bit misleading. He won one NCWA championship, not an NCAA championship. NCWA wrestling is a step down from division 2 and division 3 wrestling, and several steps down from division 1 wrestling.

Reactions: KapG

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm not pretending to know anything.
The below quotes suggest otherwise.

He doesn't have a choice. Khabib is too big and strong and too good of a grappler for anyone at 155.

When he's getting physically dominated and smothered by Khabib

When Khabib finally gets beat it's going to be by someone with great take down defense who can keep the fight standing and out strike him. Ferguson is a great fighter but he isn't the guy to dethrone Khabib.

He can try that strategy all he wants, but he'll get smashed like everyone else.

Also, referring to Ferguson as a national champion wrestler is a bit misleading. He won one NCWA championship, not an NCAA championship. NCWA wrestling is a step down from division 2 and division 3 wrestling, and several steps down from division 1 wrestling.
I'm not saying he's on Khabib's level of wrestling or anywhere close. But has Khabib fought anyone with Tony's wrestling credentials in MMA? Let alone his BJJ credentials? And Tony's likely striking advantage?

Again, I'm not saying Tony wins. I'm saying I have no idea. Which makes it a hell of a fight. Hopefully we get to see it eventually.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Crazy impressive performance by Cejudo. My main event prediction was looking pretty good after one round but then Cejudo flipped a switch and just mauled Moraes. I don't know if Moraes was hurt, tired, or both but he had no response after Cejudo applied the pressure instead of sitting back. Cejudo's list made absolutely no sense though and he should probably be fighting Yan or Sterling next at 135.

Valentina might've taken the lead for KO of the year or she's at least in the conversation. I don't think she has any competition at 125 but this was only her first defense so I'm okay with seeing her put on some of these performances until either someone emerges as a threat or it's time for another 135 fight. She gave Nunes her toughest fight in some time and many people thought she actually beat her.

Ferguson started slow but looked great in the second round. I don't really get why there's talk of an immediate rematch when it was Ferguson who caused all that damage and the fight to be stopped. He hit Cerrone with the late punch but that had nothing to do with the eventual stoppage and I think that's a legit TKO. Ferguson should be fighting the winner of Khabib/Poirier.

Yan looked pretty good against a very tough opponent. He's legit.

Not the type of performance I expected from Suarez and she might still have some work to do so another fight against a top contender might not be a bad idea. I also wouldn't be opposed to her getting the next title shot.

Great card overall.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Very entertaining card. Top three fights kind of went how I thought - Cejudo is just on another level, Shevchenko would get the finish and Ferguson just too good for Cowboy.

Cejudo's act is definitely weird, but whatever.. I can live with that. What was very annoying was his callouts like it was 2016. Two guys in Sterling & Yan put on amazing performances yet you call out 3 guys who haven't won a fight since 2016. Just a brutal missed opportunity by him.

Reactions: Avs_19

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not a fan of Cejudo's act but he's a beast in the ring and as long as he's putting people away I'm a fan.

Oh and he's an Olympic gold medalist. Never knew that :p

Reactions: Avs_19

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Crazy impressive performance by Cejudo. My main event prediction was looking pretty good after one round but then Cejudo flipped a switch and just mauled Moraes. I don't know if Moraes was hurt, tired, or both but he had no response after Cejudo applied the pressure instead of sitting back. Cejudo's list made absolutely no sense though and he should probably be fighting Yan or Sterling next at 135.

Valentina might've taken the lead for KO of the year or she's at least in the conversation. I don't think she has any competition at 125 but this was only her first defense so I'm okay with seeing her put on some of these performances until either someone emerges as a threat or it's time for another 135 fight. She gave Nunes her toughest fight in some time and many people thought she actually beat her.

Ferguson started slow but looked great in the second round. I don't really get why there's talk of an immediate rematch when it was Ferguson who caused all that damage and the fight to be stopped. He hit Cerrone with the late punch but that had nothing to do with the eventual stoppage and I think that's a legit TKO. Ferguson should be fighting the winner of Khabib/Poirier.

Yan looked pretty good against a very tough opponent. He's legit.

Not the type of performance I expected from Suarez and she might still have some work to do so another fight against a top contender might not be a bad idea. I also wouldn't be opposed to her getting the next title shot.

Great card overall.

I think the weight cut affected Moraes'cardio.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Can’t wait for the moment where Ferguson is knocked completely out cold.

He was such a giant douchebag on TUF. Just so unlikeable lol.

Do people actually believe he has a chance against khabib lmao? He’d get dusted

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He was such a giant *****ebag on TUF. Just so unlikeable lol.

Do people actually believe he has a chance against khabib lmao? He’s get dusted

Off course he has a chance. His hands are great and he can tag Khabib and with his cardio he can go forever.

I think Khabib mauls him but Ferguson absolutely has a shot.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Off course he has a chance. His hands are great and he can tag Khabib and with his cardio he can go forever.

I think Khabib mauls him but Ferguson absolutely has a shot.
If you consider him landing a lucky shot or something to be “a chance” then sure. I don’t think it’s a legitimate one though.

Khabib mauls him for 5 rounds imo.

I’d rather see him knocked unconscious ala Jessica eye, but would be satisfied with a 5 round mauling

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

He was such a giant *****ebag on TUF. Just so unlikeable lol.

Do people actually believe he has a chance against khabib lmao? He’d get dusted
Anybody who says to another man in an argument, who is going through a divorce and custody battle for their son ''where's your kid at'' is a POS of epic levels.

Khabib will absolutely maul him.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
The guy is a schizophrenic and was an alcoholic at the time. He quit drinking since. I agree that was a POS moment but that was like a decade ago.

Reactions: m9

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Again, I'm not saying Tony wins. I'm saying I have no idea. Which makes it a hell of a fight. Hopefully we get to see it eventually.
You lost all credibility on the topic of wrestling credentials when you called Ferguson a ''national champion wrestler.''

I coach youth wrestling in Pennsylvania and am around the varsity team a lot. I know plenty of kids who haven't even won a high school state championship in PA who have wrestled at a higher level in college than Ferguson. Winning one NCWA championship isn't that big a deal because the competition level is so low. PA is and has been one of the top HS wrestling states in the world and top to bottom when you get to Hershey in March is tougher competition than the NCWA. Anyone who is anyone as a wrestler is wrestling for a division 1 school, or at the very least a high end division 2 or 3 school.

Put Fegruson on the mat with the Retherfords, Nolfs, and Yannis of the world and he gets completely out classed and smoked. Same result will happen in the octagon with Khabib if wrestling is a major factor. Hell, Kevin Lee (who also wrestled in the NCWA) took Ferguson down quite easily and even had him mounted at one point. Ferguson was able to submit him but Khabib's grappling is on a completely different level than Lee's.

Don't want to take my word for it? Perhaps you would listen to an actual two time NCAA champion and two time runner up, Ben Askren, who said that Khabib is the best MMA wrestler of all time.

''Ranked Top 10 All-Time in NCAA History. Askren put together an impressive collegiate career that saw him advance to the finals of the 174-pound weight class four times and capturing the national title in each of his last two seasons at Mizzou (2006 and 2007).''

"When Khabib gets you down [on the floor], your life is going to be miserable. Khabib has more effectively implemented his wresting in mixed martial arts than anyone in the last 25 years", Askren said.

Russia's Khabib Named Number One Wrestler in UFC History

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There was a time when I thought Ferguson was a bad matchup for Khabib, but that was some time ago. I do think that if Ferguson could get through the first 10-15 minutes he would have a shot.

The template to beat Khabib is fairly simple - a great defensive wrestler with good stand-up. A modern Chuck Liddell, in essence.

The closest guy to that isn't Ferguson. If I had to pick someone right now it would probably be Justin Gaethje. Maybe Gregor Gillespie in a year or two. I obviously would pick Khabib to win those fights, but I think Gaethje keeps things interesting.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You lost all credibility on the topic of wrestling credentials when you called Ferguson a ''national champion wrestler.''

I coach youth wrestling in Pennsylvania and am around the varsity team a lot. I know plenty of kids who haven't even won a high school state championship in PA who have wrestled at a higher level in college than Ferguson. Winning one NCWA championship isn't that big a deal because the competition level is so low. PA is and has been one of the top HS wrestling states in the world and top to bottom when you get to Hershey in March is tougher competition than the NCWA. Anyone who is anyone as a wrestler is wrestling for a division 1 school, or at the very least a high end division 2 or 3 school.

Put Fegruson on the mat with the Retherfords, Nolfs, and Yannis of the world and he gets completely out classed and smoked. Same result will happen in the octagon with Khabib if wrestling is a major factor. Hell, Kevin Lee (who also wrestled in the NCWA) took Ferguson down quite easily and even had him mounted at one point. Ferguson was able to submit him but Khabib's grappling is on a completely different level than Lee's.

Don't want to take my word for it? Perhaps you would listen to an actual two time NCAA champion and two time runner up, Ben Askren, who said that Khabib is the best MMA wrestler of all time.

''Ranked Top 10 All-Time in NCAA History. Askren put together an impressive collegiate career that saw him advance to the finals of the 174-pound weight class four times and capturing the national title in each of his last two seasons at Mizzou (2006 and 2007).''

"When Khabib gets you down [on the floor], your life is going to be miserable. Khabib has more effectively implemented his wresting in mixed martial arts than anyone in the last 25 years", Askren said.

Russia's Khabib Named Number One Wrestler in UFC History
You lost all credibility when you said that you're not pretending to know what would happen and then when presented with 4 quotes where your are pretending to know what would happen, just ignore it and go to the "I coach youth wrestling, so I know more than you" argument.

You're completely missing the point anyway.

Bringing up Tony's wrestling credentials is not me saying that he's a better wrestler than Khabib or doubting Khabib's wrestling in any way. It's saying he has more of a background in wrestling than anyone Khabib was fought in the UFC. Which reasons that he might not have as easy of a time getting and keeping down Tony as he has other guys.

Plus, Tony's BJJ is better than anyone else Khabib has faced and via Eddie Bravo has already said he'd look to be offensive on the ground. Everyone else Khabib has faced just tried to get back to their feet.

Plus his striking, his knack for busting guys up, his endurance, his durability, his fearlessness....Khabib is a monster, but Tony presents problems.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There was a time when I thought Ferguson was a bad matchup for Khabib, but that was some time ago. I do think that if Ferguson could get through the first 10-15 minutes he would have a shot.
Khabib has only finished 2 of his UFC fights in less than 10 min and Tony's tough to put away. I would not be surprised at all if Khabib wins, but I'd be surprised if he finished him early.

The template to beat Khabib is fairly simple - a great defensive wrestler with good stand-up. A modern Chuck Liddell, in essence.

The closest guy to that isn't Ferguson. If I had to pick someone right now it would probably be Justin Gaethje. Maybe Gregor Gillespie in a year or two. I obviously would pick Khabib to win those fights, but I think Gaethje keeps things interesting.
Does this mean great TDD? Or the ability to get back up when taken down?

The former, we've already seen how that plays out. Barboza has great TDD, but Khabib is too good. He's going to get pretty much everybody down at some point, so you've got to be able to handle yourself on the ground.

The latter, I agree. Gaethje would be an interesting fight with his wrestling, striking, and ability to take a beating. Tony's wrestling isn't on the same level as Gaethje, but I would be interested to see his BJJ against Khabib. Even if he doesn't catch Khabib with something, it might cause Khabib to adjust which could give Tony openings to get back up. That's if he's not able to just get back up. Raging Al was able to get up a few times. I think he was just too cautious on the feet because he was afraid of getting taken down again. Which is something else that would make Tony an interesting opponent. He does some wild and crazy shit in there sometimes. I wouldn't expect him to change that just because he's afraid it would end up on the ground.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You lost all credibility when you said that you're not pretending to know what would happen and then when presented with 4 quotes where your are pretending to know what would happen, just ignore it and go to the
I didn't address it because I already had and you simply weren't satisfied with my response.

"I coach youth wrestling, so I know more than you" argument.
You are way out of your league if you want to have a discussion with me about wrestling. High school, collegiate, international, or how wrestling translates into MMA. That is my world. Furthermore, the fact that you referred to Ferguson as a ''national champion wrestler'' tells me you don't know much about this world. If you did you wouldn't be selling one NCWA championship as a national championship or high level wrestling credentials. Pretty obvious to me you know nothing about NCWA versus NCAA wrestling and the massive level of disparity in competition from one to the other. High level HS wrestling in a state like PA is better competition than NCWA is. This is exactly why a kid like Spencer Lee can get 2nd in PA as a senior and then go to Iowa and win NCAA titles as a freshman and sophomore.

You're completely missing the point anyway.

Bringing up Tony's wrestling credentials is not me saying that he's a better wrestler than Khabib or doubting Khabib's wrestling in any way.
I'm not missing the point at all. Ferguson's wrestling background isn't what you think it is and thus it's not a factor so your point goes to crap right away.

It's saying he has more of a background in wrestling than anyone Khabib was fought in the UFC.
Gleisan Thibeau has a better and more successful wrestling background than Ferguson does and he has fought Khabib.

Which reasons that he might not have as easy of a time getting and keeping down Tony as he has other guys.
So Khabib is going to have a hard time getting Ferguson down and keeping him down, even though a far inferior wrestler to him in Kevin Lee took Ferguson down more than once and even mounted him at one point.

Plus, Tony's BJJ is better than anyone else Khabib has faced and via Eddie Bravo has already said he'd look to be offensive on the ground. Everyone else Khabib has faced just tried to get back to their feet.
Like I said him and Eddie Bravo and Royce Gracie and the ghost of Helio Gracie can come up with a plan all they want. It's not going to do much good when he's getting smothered, pounded, and mauled by a bigger, stronger, tougher Khabib. That is Khabib's world and he owns it. Since you ignored it last time I will bring it up again, if you don't believe me you can take Ben Askren's word for it.

Plus his striking, his knack for busting guys up, his endurance, his durability, his fearlessness....Khabib is a monster, but Tony presents problems.
Khabib has every bit the endurance, pace, and durability that Ferguson does. Ferguson is a much better technical striker than Khabib, but it won't matter when he gets taken down like everyone else. That is the point that you keep missing or choosing to ignore. But please, tell me again about Ferguson's impressive wrestling background and how he's a ''national champion wrestler.'' :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad