Women's Strawweight bout: Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Alexa Grasso
Featherweight bout: Ricardo Lamas vs. Calvin Kattar

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Women's Strawweight bout: Xiaonan Yan vs. Angela Hill
Middleweight bout: Bevon Lewis vs. Darren Stewart
Women's Flyweight bout: Katlyn Chookagian vs. Joanne Calderwood​

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The star power might be lacking but this card is deep with good fights all throughout.

Main event is interesting and it could go either way. I'm leaning towards Moraes right now because of the power in addition to just being very well rounded. He's also on a crazy run with three straight early finishes and has only lost once since coming over to the UFC and I thought he actually won that fight. Cejudo's wrestling could be the difference but I don't think it'll be easy to take Moraes down.

Valentina should run through Eye.

Ferguson vs. Cerrone is a great fight and the best one on the card. Ferguson's the better fighter and if he's focused after the personal issues, he should be able to beat Cerrone. This feels like a fight of the night type of fight.

There aren't many fighters I'm more excited to watch these days than Yan. He looks like he could be a legit contender pretty soon but this is a step up in competition for him.

I can't see Suarez losing to Ansaroff and it might only be a matter of time before she's the champ.

Sterling vs. Munhoz is another good fight on the prelims that matters at 135. Both guys have been on a good run recently.

Reactions: torero

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The star power might be lacking but this card is deep with good fights all throughout.

Main event is interesting and it could go either way. I'm leaning towards Moraes right now because of the power in addition to just being very well rounded. He's also on a crazy run with three straight early finishes and has only lost once since coming over to the UFC and I thought he actually won that fight. Cejudo's wrestling could be the difference but I don't think it'll be easy to take Moraes down.

Valentina should run through Eye.

Ferguson vs. Cerrone is a great fight and the best one on the card. Ferguson's the better fighter and if he's focused after the personal issues, he should be able to beat Cerrone. This feels like a fight of the night type of fight.

There aren't many fighters I'm more excited to watch these days than Yan. He looks like he could be a legit contender pretty soon but this is a step up in competition for him.

I can't see Suarez losing to Ansaroff and it might only be a matter of time before she's the champ.

Sterling vs. Munhoz is another good fight on the prelims that matters at 135. Both guys have been on a good run recently.

I agree with everything here other than I think Cejudo has a really good shot. Moraes has been great as well but Cejudo just seems at another level right now.

Fun card, looking forward to it.

Reactions: torero and Avs_19

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Cejudo beats him. The guy is a monster even though he's 5 foot nothing. Elite Athlete.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I can already see it now. This card will deliver good fight after good fight and build up to the Fight of the Night with Tony vs. Cowboy and then....a one sided 5 round decision for Valentina after she sits back and counterstrikes.

But it's still a good card. An amazing card compared to some of the cards they've been putting together recently.

I don't know about the main event. I don't know who's going to win and I don't know who to root for. Both guys kind of bug me. It's probably better for the UFC if Cejudo wins, though.

Tony-Cowboy is the real main event. Same with the actual main event, I don't know who's going to win or who to root for, but this time because I like both guys so much. I'm not sure if I agree with you guys or not that Tony is the better fighter. Results wise, it's tough to argue. Skill wise though, I think Tony has a slight edge on the ground and Cowboy has the edge in striking. The part that I don't know what to make of is Tony getting hurt seemingly every fight. On one hand, that resiliency is a huge plus, but at some point it's going to cost him. I'm leaning towards Tony, but I could see Cowboy catching him with a head kick or something, too.

I like my girl Suarez getting the featured spot on the prelims. Get her as much exposure as possible before she beats Andrade to become champ later this year.

Lastly, not to be Debbie Downer, but as much as I want to see this fight, I really don't think Tony should be fighting. Maybe ever again but definitely so soon. A few months ago, he thought people were in his walls. We all know the price fighters and any contact sport athletes pay, but it makes me even more uneasy watching when you hear what was happening to him.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I can already see it now. This card will deliver good fight after good fight and build up to the Fight of the Night with Tony vs. Cowboy and then....a one sided 5 round decision for Valentina after she sits back and counterstrikes.

But it's still a good card. An amazing card compared to some of the cards they've been putting together recently.

I don't know about the main event. I don't know who's going to win and I don't know who to root for. Both guys kind of bug me. It's probably better for the UFC if Cejudo wins, though.

Tony-Cowboy is the real main event. Same with the actual main event, I don't know who's going to win or who to root for, but this time because I like both guys so much. I'm not sure if I agree with you guys or not that Tony is the better fighter. Results wise, it's tough to argue. Skill wise though, I think Tony has a slight edge on the ground and Cowboy has the edge in striking. The part that I don't know what to make of is Tony getting hurt seemingly every fight. On one hand, that resiliency is a huge plus, but at some point it's going to cost him. I'm leaning towards Tony, but I could see Cowboy catching him with a head kick or something, too.

I like my girl Suarez getting the featured spot on the prelims. Get her as much exposure as possible before she beats Andrade to become champ later this year.

Lastly, not to be Debbie Downer, but as much as I want to see this fight, I really don't think Tony should be fighting. Maybe ever again but definitely so soon. A few months ago, he thought people were in his walls. We all know the price fighters and any contact sport athletes pay, but it makes me even more uneasy watching when you hear what was happening to him.

I'm hoping Shevchenko is a bit more aggressive knowing that she has a lesser opponent in Eye. This should be a dominant win for her and she should get the finish within 3 rounds.

I'm not sure I see the direct correlation in regards to Tony's mental issues and whether or not he should be fighting right now or 'ever again' like you suggest. We live in an age now where everyone wants to tie everything to CTE but that's not always the case. Obviously we don't know for sure and we aren't doctors, but all of the signs are that Ferguson has been dealing with these issues most of his life and it appears that it is more of an issue of him staying on his medication as opposed to an issue from some sort of trauma. The other side of it is that knowing all of these issues and combined with his relative older age for the sport/division (35) he has had fought a variety of injuries/issues and is probably in a spot where he needs to start fighting and collecting cheques because between his career & mental issues it's fair to have many questions about his future. I also think many of us expected him to have a 5 round main event of some kind so him being able to prep and fight only a max of 3 rounds is a good way to get back in there.

As for the actual fight. it's a tough one. I do think Ferguson is the better offensive striker but his lack of defense on the feet is always an issue. Both guys are good on the ground with capable wrestling. I think Ferguson will likely get clipped and dropped badly at some point, but I think he can work the body vs Cowboy and slow him down. He's going to look much quicker than Cowboy in there and he's much better out of scrambles. Despite that, there is a chance Cerrone catches Ferguson and ends this fight in a dramatic way and everyone is questioning why Ferguson took the fight.

The issue I have here is the exact same issue we had with Gus v Anthony Smith. We have one ultra-motivated, focused fighter who is on the top of their game right now in Cerrone. On the other side we have a guy who has been a top guy in the division forever but has serious questions about his mental state. It's also kind of similar to Jacare v Hermansson. For whatever reason we've seen a few of these top veterans go down to the guy who is motivated and active, and there is no guy that fits that description more right now than Cerrone. There is no time over the the last 5 years I would have picked Cerrone to beat Ferguson and I can't do it now either, but this particular moment in time is his best shot.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I agree with everything here other than I think Cejudo has a really good shot. Moraes has been great as well but Cejudo just seems at another level right now.

Fun card, looking forward to it.

I wouldn't be surprised. Like I said, I can see it going either way as both are really good fighters. Cejudo's wins over DJ and TJ are more impressive than what Moraes has done and he looks better than ever.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised. Like I said, I can see it going either way as both are really good fighters. Cejudo's wins over DJ and TJ are more impressive than what Moraes has done and he looks better than ever.

It's a tough fight to call.

I feel like sometimes I am guilty of overcompensating when I haven't given a fighter enough credit in the past and I gave Cejudo no chance v DJ or TJ. Maybe I'm doing the same thing here - Moraes is great too.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm hoping Shevchenko is a bit more aggressive knowing that she has a lesser opponent in Eye. This should be a dominant win for her and she should get the finish within 3 rounds.
If it's over faster, that would most likely be a good thing.

I'm not sure I see the direct correlation in regards to Tony's mental issues and whether or not he should be fighting right now or 'ever again' like you suggest. We live in an age now where everyone wants to tie everything to CTE but that's not always the case. Obviously we don't know for sure and we aren't doctors, but all of the signs are that Ferguson has been dealing with these issues most of his life and it appears that it is more of an issue of him staying on his medication as opposed to an issue from some sort of trauma.
You could be right, but yeah, we don't know. All we know is that Tony has mental problems and getting hit in the head isn't a good thing. Doesn't seem like a great combination. I also know that it's going to be on my mind watching that fight and especially if he gets caught with something.

I think Ferguson will likely get clipped and dropped badly at some point, but I think he can work the body vs Cowboy and slow him down.
Depends on what he gets caught with (if he does get caught). Cowboy has a nasty head kick. If he catches him clean, Tony might not be able to just battle through that.

The issue I have here is the exact same issue we had with Gus v Anthony Smith.
There's one big difference, though. If Tony wins, he's probably getting the title shot. That wasn't happening with Gus. So he seemingly would have more motivation.

For whatever reason we've seen a few of these top veterans go down to the guy who is motivated and active, and there is no guy that fits that description more right now than Cerrone.
The other side of that coin is "Is Cowboy too active?" This will be his 5th fight in the last year, he jut had a 5 round fight a month ago, he's nearing 50 career MMA fights, and he's no spring chicken at 36. All of that had to be taking a toll on him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If it's over faster, that would most likely be a good thing.

You could be right, but yeah, we don't know. All we know is that Tony has mental problems and getting hit in the head isn't a good thing. Doesn't seem like a great combination. I also know that it's going to be on my mind watching that fight and especially if he gets caught with something.

Depends on what he gets caught with (if he does get caught). Cowboy has a nasty head kick. If he catches him clean, Tony might not be able to just battle through that.

There's one big difference, though. If Tony wins, he's probably getting the title shot. That wasn't happening with Gus. So he seemingly would have more motivation.

The other side of that coin is "Is Cowboy too active?" This will be his 5th fight in the last year, he jut had a 5 round fight a month ago, he's nearing 50 career MMA fights, and he's no spring chicken at 36. All of that had to be taking a toll on him.

I get it with thinking about the mental side with Ferguson. How you are feeling is exactly how I felt watching Thiago Alves fight the first time after he got pulled from a fight and needed to have surgery on his brain. It's kind of a weird feeling and has to add some anxiety to the fighter in there.

As for Ferguson getting a title shot so he should be motivated - well, we don't really know if he gets that title shot. Khabib v Poirier is happening & then who knows where Conor fits in. I'm sure we both agree that Ferguson should get that shot if he wins, but who knows if he'll actually get it.

In terms of Cerrone fighting alot, if you look back at his history there isn't anything to suggest that him fighting on shorter notice has been a good or bad thing. He's kind of lost to the guys you would expect him to regardless of it. He lost to RDA on a quick turnaround and a long turnaround. He lost to the entire top tier of 170lb guys whether he fought on short notice after a long layoff. Even back in the WEC he would beat and often finish the guys he was supposed to and then have tougher fights with Henderson/Varner. Really the only fight he's lost that I really expected him to win was against Leon Edwards and he had a regular layoff for that one. It could just be that Leon Edwards is actually really good.

I think after piecing that together I've talked myself into Tony Ferguson winning this fight. Not because it's short notice for Cerrone, but just because Cerrone can never really crack through the ceiling. Cerrone generally loses to guys that are better MMA fighters than him and Tony Ferguson is that tier above.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
As for Ferguson getting a title shot so he should be motivated - well, we don't really know if he gets that title shot. Khabib v Poirier is happening & then who knows where Conor fits in. I'm sure we both agree that Ferguson should get that shot if he wins, but who knows if he'll actually get it.
Regardless of whether Tony or Cowboy actually gets the next title shot, I can almost guarantee that they both expect it with a win. And one of them should get it. Which is different from Gus-Smith who both had to know they weren't getting a title shot even with a win.

Reactions: m9

member 51464

I feel like something crazy and unexpected is going to happy with Tony and Cerrone. I just hope it isn't some injury early on that inhibits Tony.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Even though I love both fighters, I hope Cowboy loses so that Conor doesn't get an easy fight. Though his hand is broken anyway so not sure how quick he can come back.

Reactions: member 51464

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
m9 summed it up perfectly, I'll just exaggerate it a bit. Cowboy looks like an absolute world beater and likely champion against guys you expect him to beat, and looks very ordinary while getting pretty thoroughly outclassed by the elite. The variable here for me is a big one. Is Tony's head right. It's nitpicking, but he just didn't look quite as shredded to me as usual. Hard to imagine we're getting Ferguson at his best here.

As mentioned, very smart putting Suarez on the ESPN main event. She's likely gonna be the face of that division.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lamas isn't what he once was but Kattar still looked great. Easily the most impressive performance of his UFC career.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Lamas isn't what he once was but Kattar still looked great. Easily the most impressive performance of his UFC career.

All the "Alpha Male" midgets have been getting whooped. Even T.J. popped and he came from there. Faber is going to get decimated by Ricky Simon.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I hate when people say a guy should retire just because they lost a fight, but I think it's time for Lamas. He's 37, he's 1-4 in his last 5 fights, he's been KO'ed 3 times in that stretch, he's on the prelims. It's not as ugly as BJ Penn, but what more does he really have left?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All Grasso in that one. She just looked better and better as the fight went on. Still only 25 years old with her only losses being to Saurez and Herrig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad