GDT: UFC 237: Namajunas vs. Andrade

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jones ran through murderers row. The guys at 205 can catch you and put you to sleep if you turn the wrong way. Khabib fights at 155.
So your point is that only Jon Jones can be considered dominant?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Rose is a bit different but it's still surprising to see her act so relieved and say this is a huge pressure off her shoulders. She only defended her belt one time.
Well there was the whole Conor bus thing which gave her bad PTSD apparently so maybe that's what she was also referring to.

Wonder if they'll have Joanna fight Andrade and then set up the trilogy with Rose if JJ wins

Reactions: Avs_19

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
Khabib fights once every two years. He is not dominant.

Hes 27-0. He doesnt just win fights, he dominates fights.

GSP and Jones. Are the greatest fighters ever. I think GSP beats Khabib.

That would be a great fight. As for Jones, so talented but hes pissed dirty and that tkes him out of the conversation for best ever IMO. GSP is the GOAT.

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
Rose is a bit different but it's still surprising to see her act so relieved and say this is a huge pressure off her shoulders. She only defended her belt one time.

That caught me off gaurd. Hopefully it was just in the moment kind of thing when she said it and she finds that hunger for wanting to be champ again.

Reactions: Avs_19

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'm not saying Jones isn't dominant or even that he's not the GOAT. That doesn't mean there aren't other dominant champs...which is the point you seem to be making...but keep moving the goal posts on.

Which champs are dominant though? Holloway just got beat. Maybe Cormier who Jones beat twice already? It's not T.J., he just popped. Cejudo maybe?

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
Which champs are dominant though? Holloway just got beat. Maybe Cormier who Jones beat twice already? It's not T.J., he just popped. Cejudo maybe?

Adesanya has looked great since he came onto the scene. Interim i know but still.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Adesanya has looked great since he came onto the scene. Interim i know but still.

I think he fights a wrestler like Yoel and gets torched. He's a good kickboxer, but once someone puts him on his back he will be in trouble.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
First of all, TJ isn't a dominant champ because he popped? You're making the case for Jon Jones, right? I've lost tracked of how many times he's popped. I don't know I'd put TJ in that category, but your reasoning for things is all over the place.

Second, Max lost, but it was outside of his weight class. He's still the champ at 145lb. I don't know I'd put him in the dominant champ category since he's only defended a couple times so far, but he could be one his way.

Lastly, this whole thing started because I said Joanna was a dominant champ. Which she was. So was GSP, Anderson, Might Mouse, Ronda, Aldo. Nunes is close to that if she's not there already. Arguably Stipe was given the history of UFC HW's.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
First of all, TJ isn't a dominant champ because he popped? You're making the case for Jon Jones, right? I've lost tracked of how many times he's popped. I don't know I'd put TJ in that category, but your reasoning for things is all over the place.

Second, Max lost, but it was outside of his weight class. He's still the champ at 145lb. I don't know I'd put him in the dominant champ category since he's only defended a couple times so far, but he could be one his way.

Lastly, this whole thing started because I said Joanna was a dominant champ. Which she was. So was GSP, Anderson, Might Mouse, Ronda, Aldo. Nunes is close to that if she's not there already. Arguably Stipe was given the history of UFC HW's.

I get your reasoning. But a lot of those fighters weren't/aren't dominant.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I get your reasoning. But a lot of those fighters weren't/aren't dominant.
What? Pretty much all of the guys he just named were dominant. The only ones you can maybe argue are Ronda since she dominated cans and got finished by the only legit competition she had (although her champion run was still dominant as she defended multiple times), and Stipe since it was only 3 fights though pistolpete is right about the nature of HW as anybody can get KOd in that division.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, GSP, Jose Aldo, and DJ are the guys I would consider modern-day dominant champs.

Reactions: td_ice

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Don't you have to win to be dominant? IMO you do.

Well, obviously you have to win in order to be dominant. However, you don't have to be undefeated in your career either in order to be dominant. For example, Max Holloway won 13 straight fights, and his most recent loss was when he went up a division. I would say he is a dominant fighter considering his run in the featherweight division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad