GDT: UFC 236: Holloway vs. Poirier 2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Really happy for Poirier. He definitely deserves it. I don't know if he has enough to beat Khabib, but I think he has the style to beat Khabib. He's got crisp boxing, power, and a wrestling base. If he's able to stuff a takedown or 2, it might be enough to catch Khabib with something. He clearly has the gas tank to go 5 rounds, too.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Also for what it's worth, if Bobby Knuckles comes back at 100% I think he will destroy Adesanya. Gastelum made Adesanya look uncomfortable going backward with decent pressure. Whittaker is bigger, stronger, a much better wrestler and has an endless gas tank.

Hope so. Whittaker is in my top 3 favourite champs! (along with Holloway and DC).

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Really happy for Poirier. He definitely deserves it. I don't know if he has enough to beat Khabib, but I think he has the style to beat Khabib. He's got crisp boxing, power, and a wrestling base. If he's able to stuff a takedown or 2, it might be enough to catch Khabib with something. He clearly has the gas tank to, too.

Yeah, he could cause Khabib problems. I don't think Max would.

Reactions: pistolpete11

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, he could cause Khabib problems. I don't think Max would.
Same. I do think everyone is a longshot against Khabib right now as he's just on another level power wise, and he's relentless, but Poirier's counterboxing is super crisp and he's obviously got power. I just feel like in any fight with Khabib the longer it goes the better his chances are of just grinding his opponent into nothingness. Max just doesn't have the threat to Khabib to stop him from just walking through and mauling him.

member 51464

Plus that last fight makes for fun trivia.

Has one fighter ever beat another at two different weight classes?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Same. I do think everyone is a longshot against Khabib right now as he's just on another level power wise, and he's relentless, but Poirier's counterboxing is super crisp and he's obviously got power. I just feel like in any fight with Khabib the longer it goes the better his chances are of just grinding his opponent into nothingness. Max just doesn't have the threat to Khabib to stop him from just walking through and mauling him.
I basically agree, but you never know. Styles make fights. Poirier was about to beat Max because he has the boxing and power, not because of his wrestling. Maybe Khabib wouldn't be able to take down Max and Max would pick him apart. You never know. Although, I agree, I'd still take Khabib. I don't think I'd take anyone outside of possibly GSP over Khabib right now.

Reactions: YNWA14

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great card.

Well deserved win for Poirier. I thought it was closer than 49-46 but they got the winner right. I said my only concern for Holloway was how he would handle Poirier's power and it turns out the answer is not too well. Holloway had his moments but there was a big difference in power and Poirier hurt him nearly every time he landed clean.

Adesanya vs. Gastleum was an amazing fight as both guys brought it. Gastelum actually impressed me a lot early on and he did better than I expected in the stand up. Adesanya's striking is on another level though once he gets going. Gastelum is no Romero or Weidman but still, he's a pretty decent wrestler and Adesanya stuffed almost every single one. His takedown defense just keeps getting better and better with more experience. Big props to Gastelum for somehow surviving until the end. I can't wait for Whittaker vs. Adesanya.

Rountree looked great. Those were some brutal leg kicks.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I basically agree, but you never know. Styles make fights. Poirier was about to beat Max because he has the boxing and power, not because of his wrestling. Maybe Khabib wouldn't be able to take down Max and Max would pick him apart. You never know. Although, I agree, I'd still take Khabib. I don't think I'd take anyone outside of possibly GSP over Khabib right now.

So far Khabib has taken down anyone at will. He wouldn't have much trouble taking Max down.

Agree on GSP.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Plus that last fight makes for fun trivia.

Has one fighter ever beat another at two different weight classes?

I think Vitor beat Dan Henderson at 185 & 205. I'm sure there are a few other examples.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
So far Khabib has taken down anyone at will. He wouldn't have much trouble taking Max down.

Agree on GSP.
Yeah, I mean, I'm sure he would get him down. I'm just saying you never know. Max could stuff a takedown or 2 or at least get up quickly and touch him up on the feet and take the round. Would he be able to do it 3 out of 5 rounds? Like I said, I'd take Khabib, but it's possible.

It's likely the only way he holds a belt any time soon
I don't think he cares about holding the belt as much as the biggest payday. The biggest payday is a Khabib rematch.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Vitor beat Dan Henderson at 185 & 205. I'm sure there are a few other examples.
I can't think of any others, but if we see Conor-Nate at 155, we're guaranteed to add another to that list.

Edit: Frankie Edgar beat BJ Penn at LW (twice actually) and at FW.

Edit 2: Couture beat Vitor at HW and LHW.

Last edited:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Also for what it's worth, if Bobby Knuckles comes back at 100% I think he will destroy Adesanya. Gastelum made Adesanya look uncomfortable going backward with decent pressure. Whittaker is bigger, stronger, a much better wrestler and has an endless gas tank.
Yeah I agree. Adesanya looked godly against lesser opponents...but even against Silva you didn't see that dominance.
IF Whittaker comes back 100% my money is on him. But his time away/injuries will have to play a role to some extent no matter what, so it becomes a lot more interesting.

Really amazing main event fights....I honestly can't think of any card where the final 2 delivered like that.

Reactions: YNWA14

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Bobby Knuckles is better technically than Kelvin, but i do think Kelvin is the more athletic of the two with a bit more power, speed and explosiveness. Kelvin is also the more defined pressure fighter of the two. Bobby Knuckles vs Adesanya probably takes place in open space and im not even sure who wins that match up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->