GDT: UFC 232: Jones vs. Gustafsson 2

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
if Jones tested positive after this , ( I think that's when he usually does ) , does UFC back him again ? or no contest ?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Nunes definitely lost the 2nd fight vs Schevchenko, that was nonsense. This Cyborg win was the most impressive win for Nunes, very crazy!

I'll thought same way on first watch, but 2nd watch made me realize that she didn't do enough. I would say draw or edge for Nunes.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I can see some people are having trouble accepting that Jones won.
He fixed his mistakes from the first fight, stayed out of reach... and dominated.
The Goat.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I can see some people are having trouble accepting that Jones won.
He fixed his mistakes from the first fight, stayed out of reach... and dominated.
The Goat.

What does Jones winning his fight have to do with proving he isn't a PED abuser? What happened is exactly what I expected, and it doesn't make it a clean win. He still tested positive before the fight and he still is a juicer. The result is the least surprising thing about this entire story.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I expected Jones to win and win convincingly, but damn. That was domination. First 2 rounds he did a good job of keeping the distance and not letting Gus get into boxing range. Then he just exploded for that takedown and it was a complete mismatch on the ground. A little disappointed it wasn't a better fight, but oh well. That's MMA.

Next for Jones, there are no interesting fights at LHW. I kind of agree with @m9 that that is OK. Fight the next top guy, maybe it turns into a great fight somehow like Jones-Gus 1, and keep doing it until a true challenger emerges. Unfortunately, that's not the UFC anymore. They need big fights to sell PPVs for all of these cards they have. I for one, have no interest in DC-Jones 3 at LHW. If it happens, it has to happen at HW. I still think Jones wins, but they've got to change something about it to make it interesting and the only thing in their control is the weight class. Other than that, I don't know what else there is. Jones-Stipe would be a good fight, but if he's willing to move to HW, why wouldn't it be against DC for the belt? Jones-Rumble (probably at HW if you've seen Rumble lately)?

Wow. Definitely didn't give Nunes enough respect going into that fight. I did say she has the power to change the fight, but she just steamrolled the scariest WMMA fighter ever. Cyborg is now a free agent. I kind of hope she goes somewhere else and the UFC just kills the 145lb division. There's just not enough talent there to have that division. Everyone that has fought there can make 135lb except for Cyborg and Megan Anderson. I'd like to see Nunes go back down to 135. GDR or Holly, I guess.

Nothing with that belt teaser from UFC 231, huh?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think Cyborg is the classic bully that was usually so much better than everyone she faced it got too easy for her to dominate and she had her opponents scared before they ever entered the ring. Once someone stood up to her and punched her in the mouth, she crumbled. It's eerily similar to Holm beating Rousey, IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if Cyborg went on to lose her next fight or fights either (obviously depending on whom she fights and what organization), given now that her mystique has taken a big hit.

member 51464

I expected Jones to win and win convincingly, but damn. That was domination. First 2 rounds he did a good job of keeping the distance and not letting Gus get into boxing range. Then he just exploded for that takedown and it was a complete mismatch on the ground. A little disappointed it wasn't a better fight, but oh well. That's MMA.

Next for Jones, there are no interesting fights at LHW. I kind of agree with @m9 that that is OK. Fight the next top guy, maybe it turns into a great fight somehow like Jones-Gus 1, and keep doing it until a true challenger emerges. Unfortunately, that's not the UFC anymore. They need big fights to sell PPVs for all of these cards they have. I for one, have no interest in DC-Jones 3 at LHW. If it happens, it has to happen at HW. I still think Jones wins, but they've got to change something about it to make it interesting and the only thing in their control is the weight class. Other than that, I don't know what else there is. Jones-Stipe would be a good fight, but if he's willing to move to HW, why wouldn't it be against DC for the belt? Jones-Rumble (probably at HW if you've seen Rumble lately)?

Wow. Definitely didn't give Nunes enough respect going into that fight. I did say she has the power to change the fight, but she just steamrolled the scariest WMMA fighter ever. Cyborg is now a free agent. I kind of hope she goes somewhere else and the UFC just kills the 145lb division. There's just not enough talent there to have that division. Everyone that has fought there can make 135lb except for Cyborg and Megan Anderson. I'd like to see Nunes go back down to 135. GDR or Holly, I guess.

Nothing with that belt teaser from UFC 231, huh?
Dana addressed it in the post-fight press conference. Sounds like an actual, physical re-design of the belts to mark a "new era" and not an introduction of 165 or anything. It was going to be revealed here, but with all the shenanigans going on leading up to this, they decided to push it to the next PPV.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Boy I was dead wrong on the Cyborg fight. She talked about being a much more composed/calculated fighter these days, and we've seen that, but she unfortunately abandoned it. We knew Nunes had the crisper boxing, but that IMO was her only advantage. I felt Cyborg had more than enough tools to nullify that.

I know MMAth doesn't work, but it was just hard to envision Nunes winning when she arguably lost to Shevchenko, who Joanna somewhat hung with for 25 minutes. You feel like Cyborg could toss Joanna clear out of the cage.

I always felt the first Jones-Gus fight wasn't indicative of the actual gap between the two, and I think last night confirmed that.

And not to beat a dead horse, but this piece of garbage Jones is getting bold now that he's getting the feeling that he isn't gonna get in trouble. Instead of just thanking your lucky stars and being grateful, he now wants his NC against DC overturned. Unbelievable.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Boy I was dead wrong on the Cyborg fight. She talked about being a much more composed/calculated fighter these days, and we've seen that, but she unfortunately abandoned it. We knew Nunes had the crisper boxing, but that IMO was her only advantage. I felt Cyborg had more than enough tools to nullify that.

I know MMAth doesn't work, but it was just hard to envision Nunes winning when she arguably lost to Shevchenko, who Joanna somewhat hung with for 25 minutes. You feel like Cyborg could toss Joanna clear out of the cage.

I always felt the first Jones-Gus fight wasn't indicative of the actual gap between the two, and I think last night confirmed that.

And not to beat a dead horse, but this piece of garbage Jones is getting bold now that he's getting the feeling that he isn't gonna get in trouble. Instead of just thanking your lucky stars and being grateful, he now wants his NC against DC overturned. Unbelievable.

Dirtbags gonna dirtbag. USADA empowered him by letting him rat out other people for doing what he was doing rather than serve his suspension. Instead of being contrite, he now gets a free pass to cheat openly. That's on USADA, UFC, White, Novitzky, and the CSAC. They let a guy openly test positive for PEDs and still fight. Of course he's going to shoot for the moon now. They created this mess.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nobody wants to get submitted and maybe badly injured. Same issue Palhares used to have, though at least Hall isn't actively trying to injure people.

Yeah, Hall is definitely not that kind of guy. He's on a whole different level than most BJJ experts though. Sucks that nobody wants to get in there with him.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
So Jones expects Cormier to drain himself to fight at 205 but he refuses to move up to HW. Jones might be the goat (hard to say due to his cheating) but he sure doesnt have the guts most fighters do.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Very entertaining card.

I thought Gus would last into the later rounds but that outcome didn't surprise me too much. It's hard enough to beat Jones the first time and your chances go down significantly after him and his coaches have made adjustments.

I'm not interested in a third Jones/DC fight at LHW. We've already seen that twice with the same outcome. I want to see that fight at HW or just have Jones defend his belt against Smith and whoever else is coming up at LHW. It makes perfect sense for Jones to call for that though because he knows there's no one at LHW who can make him the kind of money DC can and if it's at LHW, it's against a depleted DC. Jones is still the favourite if it happens at HW but DC's chances improve, even if it's only by a small amount.

Loved seeing Nunes pull it off. Nothing against Cyborg but I just love seeing an underdog get it done like that. I don't think an immediate rematch is required but there's not much going on in either division so I won't care either way.

Good performance by Chiesa at 170 and he should stay there. Condit also looks like he doesn't have much left though. I was excited about his return after the long layoff but in hindsight it seems like he was right to retire when he originally did.

Huge win for Volkanovski against one of the best in the division. He's legit and might only be one fight away from a title shot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So Jones expects Cormier to drain himself to fight at 205 but he refuses to move up to HW. Jones might be the goat (hard to say due to his cheating) but he sure doesnt have the guts most fighters do.

Do you think the same of GSP never moving up to fight Anderson Silva?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I hate the talk that 205 is some sort of drain or depletion for DC - it's a perfectly acceptable weight class that he's made for much of his career. He's the 2nd best of all-time at that weight, it's not some sort of burden.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I hate the talk that 205 is some sort of drain or depletion for DC - it's a perfectly acceptable weight class that he's made for much of his career. He's the 2nd best of all-time at that weight, it's not some sort of burden.

Why? He's great at LHW but he's even better at HW in part because he doesn't have to cut the weight.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Why? He's great at LHW but he's even better at HW in part because he doesn't have to cut the weight.

No, he's not. He's the same guy at both, but one division doesn't have Jon Jones.

I mean that as a compliment to DC, too.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
DC has more power at HW. He'll also have 10-15 pounds on Jones, and his cardio seems to be equally good. No question he still has excess fat at 205 so it's not like we're talking Cyborg making 135. That said, Jones calling him out at 205 when he's already beat him twice but not being willing to fight him at HW because he admittedly feels/knows it would be an advantage for DC just isn't a good look. Especially when Jones has essentially said he'd fight Lesnar (obviously at HW).

Reactions: DaaaaB's and LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
DC has more power at HW. He'll also have 10-15 pounds on Jones, and his cardio seems to be equally good. No question he still has excess fat at 205 so it's not like we're talking Cyborg making 135. That said, Jones calling him out at 205 when he's already beat him twice but not being willing to fight him at HW because he admittedly feels/knows it would be an advantage for DC just isn't a good look. Especially when Jones has essentially said he'd fight Lesnar (obviously at HW).

It's also important to note that DC stated he wanted the fight at 205 too, so not sure why Jones is taking heat for it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No, he's not. He's the same guy at both, but one division doesn't have Jon Jones.

I mean that as a compliment to DC, too.

I think there's a difference in power when he's at HW.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I think there's a difference in power when he's at HW.

i don't think it's a difference in power, but rather a difference in speed. Cormier is too fast for most heavyweights. IMO, speed matters more than pure power when it comes to knockouts as the most dangerous shots that puts you down are the ones you don't see coming.

Against Jones, it wouldn't make much of a difference, unless Jones screws up and puts too much weight slowing him down.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
It's also important to note that DC stated he wanted the fight at 205 too, so not sure why Jones is taking heat for it.
I'm giving him grief but I'm not sure he's getting a ton in general. A lot gets said, but if you ask DC where he prefers fighting, and where he feels he's at his best, he'd say HW. Jones feels he's best at 205. Jones has beyond nothing to prove at 205, but cements his GOAT legacy with the HW strap as well. And he's already expressed interest in a Lesnar fight at HW. Why run it back at 205 when you have so much more to gain doing it at HW, unless you're concerned about it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->