GDT: UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Max is so f***ing good. How the f*** do you beat a guy who has unlimited cardio, throws insanely high volume and has an iron chin? And then great TDD to boot. There's nobody for him at FW anymore.

I think he also beats Conor no problem, IMO.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
What an insane fight, Tony Ferguson just said on his twitter if the Khabib fight doesn't happen he'd like to fight Max next.
Battle of the wings! This would be insane. Both guys have great chins and relentless cardio. However Tony does get dropped (always recovers though) but he also has a major reach advantage on Max.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Holloway vs Conor at 155 lbs is the fight to make.

McGregor vs Holloway for the 145 lb title

I'm calling it now

The UFC wants the strap around McGregor's waist and that isn't happening at 155 anytime soon

So I stand by my prediction. Conor's next fight will be against Holloway for the 145lb belt

If Max is interested in moving up, then a rematch against Conor is the fight I want to see next for both guys. I think the time is right to do it again now.

Mcgregor nuthuggers thinking he deserves a high profile fight against a guy at a lighter weight when he can barely beat journeyman diaz at his weight and just got embarrassed .

Guys, don't be stupid. McGregor vs Also would be a much better match either at 145 or 155. Not to mention conors done nothing to earn a shot against Holloway. Mick vs Poirier or cowboy at 155 is much more likely and proper. Ntm I think Holloway moving up is more likely tban him even defending that belt again. Its such a tough weight to make when you're 5'10. Holloway vs T Ferg for the interim 155 lb belt (gjven khabib is suspended) would be good though .

GRANTED. If the fight does happen is be happy to look stuoid here cause mcgregor would het wildly outpaced and gassed ny the middle of the second roumd then look like a complete amateur against max .

Last edited:
Reactions: I am the Liquor

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Damn. That was more or less how I expected it to go, but Max turned it up a notch...again. Damn. I definitely don't see anyone at 145 beating him. There are any number of fights at 155 that would be interesting, but I wouldn't mind him sticking around for 1 more and fighting Frankie. The only top guy he's never faced. The only concern for Max at 155 is that he puts himself in danger a lot. He's got quite the chin, but will that hold up at 155 with bigger guys? Maybe. Maybe not.

Props to Ortega. He took a f***ing beating and was still out there looking for the finish. That third round is why I wasn't running to the bookie to place a bet, though. He's got power and landed a few shots that almost changed the fight. Max looked hurt.

Valentina-JJ went exactly how I expected. Joanna has one way to beat you and it plays exactly into Valentina's strength. Plus Valentina is much stronger and much better on the ground. They are going to have to find someone somewhere to challenge Valentina because there isn't anybody in the UFC that can make 125 that can.

JJ talking about going back down to 115. I guess that's the move. Pray Andrade takes out Rose so you can get another title shot.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Asked what he thought about breaking a bunch of records like most significant strikes in a fight, in a round, etc.

"I didn't break the records. Actually Ortega did it for me. He was taking a lot of punches."

:laugh: I love Max's way of talking shit that's also kind of respectful...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Mcgregor nuthuggers thinking he deserves a high profile fight against a guy at a lighter weight when he can barely beat journeyman diaz at his weight and just got embarrassed .

Guys, don't be stupid. McGregor vs Also would be a much better match either at 145 or 155. Not to mention conors done nothing to earn a shot against Holloway. Mick vs Poirier or cowboy at 155 is much more likely and proper. Ntm I think Holloway moving up is more likely tban him even defending that belt again. Its such a tough weight to make when you're 5'10. Holloway vs T Ferg for the interim 155 lb belt (gjven khabib is suspended) would be good though .

GRANTED. If the fight does happen is be happy to look stuoid here cause mcgregor would het wildly outpaced and gassed ny the middle of the second roumd then look like a complete amateur against max .

McGregor never lost hit title at 145, he had it stripped

He would absolutely be the #1 contender if he dropped back down

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Asked what he thought about breaking a bunch of records like most significant strikes in a fight, in a round, etc.

"I didn't break the records. Actually Ortega did it for me. He was taking a lot of punches."

:laugh: I love Max's way of talking **** that's also kind of respectful...

Joanna probably set a record as well: Most strikes thrown that had no chance of landing

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think I would just wait on Holloway to fight the Ferguson/Khabib winner. Gives some time for guys at 145lb to sort themselves out before having an interim belt.

What will actually happen? A bunch of interim belts. Max v Ferguson for the 155lb belt, Moicano v Edgar for the 145lb interim belt.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think I would just wait on Holloway to fight the Ferguson/Khabib winner. Gives some time for guys at 145lb to sort themselves out before having an interim belt.

What will actually happen? A bunch of interim belts. Max v Ferguson for the 155lb belt, Moicano v Edgar for the 145lb interim belt.
It's hard to say without knowing how long Khabib (and Conor) will be suspended. If Khabib gets a year, then I have no problem with them making an interim belt for Tony to fight Max, Conor, Poirier, Nate, whoever. And if Max does take a fight at 155, I don't have a problem with them making an interim belt at 145 either. I think interim belts are kind of unnecessary and it could just be a fight with the winner getting the next title shot, but the UFC loves the visual of the belt. So as Max would say, it is what it is.

If Khabib is back by spring or something, then yeah, Khabib-Tony is the only fight that makes sense.

Reactions: m9

dss97

Aug 30, 2010

McGregor is an elite top level fighter regardless of whether you think he deserves it or not, and Diaz is not a journeyman by any means at 55. Maybe you should rewatch Conor’s fight with Eddie.

If Max was offered that fight he accepts immediately and runs to the bank, and MMA fans rejoice that the biggest fight in UFC history gets booked.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
McGregor is an elite top level fighter regardless of whether you think he deserves it or not, and Diaz is not a journeyman by any means at 55. Maybe you should rewatch Conor’s fight with Eddie.

If Max was offered that fight he accepts immediately and runs to the bank, and MMA fans rejoice that the biggest fight in UFC history gets booked.

He's not a journeyman, but he's only 9 - 9 over his last 18 fights

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I hated how late the actual fight was, I was looking forward to it, but it was like another four fights after I had to leave the bar.

Welterweight bout: Alex Oliveira vs. Gunnar Nelson
Featherweight bout: Hakeem Dawodu vs. Kyle Bochniak

I watched these two fights and Dawodu absolutely butchered Bochniak at times, it wasn't even fair even if it became 50/50 at the end. I think Dawodu was pissed that it was a split decision in the end, and I don't blame him there either. Then I had to sit through the entire Oliveira dance routine since he was high as hell there just to get beat down by a twig ghost in Nelson. Oliviera was totally winning that fight, but it seemed he didn't take Nelson seriously after the first round and got absolutely effin' wrecked in the second. Holy smokes, I work in the OR and that amount of blood you see are from two things; gunshots and glass-related injuries. That was a horror show of epic portions and it kept gushing out all over the place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

This isn't about deserving anything. This is about money. And McGregor sells fights to casual fans better than anyone else on that roster, AINEC.

Plus this fight would be an easy sell given they fought before and McGregor won despite tearing his ACL in the second round. So it would be easy to market it as Holloway getting a shot to avenge his last loss to McGregor, and it would be a chance for McGregor to make a statement over a guy that he didn't look particularly great while winning the first time and has been on a crazy run. Win win for the UFC and for the fighters, imo.

Since it makes a lot of sense, it means that it won't happen though...lol

Reactions: I am not exposed

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Connor McGregor hasn’t won a fight in over two years. Gtfo of here with Max vs Connor talk.

Dude, you say some incredibly stupid stuff here, but this is literally the worst. Sure, he hasn't won a fight in 2 years, given he's only fought once. The way you position it, you make it sound like the guy is on a huge losing streak. He lost to Khabib, like everyone else has. Hardly a knock, given he hadn't fought in 2 years. If anything, he should have take a tune up fight before going after Khabib, but whatever.

If I were McGregor's team though, I wouldn't be looking for him to jump back in there against a Holloway or Ferguson. I'd be looking to get him in against a guy that's good but beatable. Get him some mojo back.

Oct 15, 2008
Dude, you say some incredibly stupid stuff here, but this is literally the worst. Sure, he hasn't won a fight in 2 years, given he's only fought once. The way you position it, you make it sound like the guy is on a huge losing streak. He lost to Khabib, like everyone else has. Hardly a knock, given he hadn't fought in 2 years. If anything, he should have take a tune up fight before going after Khabib, but whatever.

If I were McGregor's team though, I wouldn't be looking for him to jump back in there against a Holloway or Ferguson. I'd be looking to get him in against a guy that's good but beatable. Get him some mojo back.

He lost to Mayweather.

You blathered on and on how he would beat Khabib. How’s that workin for ya? Seems to me you are the last guy to be calling anyone out for saying ‘stupid’ shit.

Ya he shouldn’t fight Max, because Max would embarrass him, because he doesn’t deserve a shot at Max until he wins at least one fight and because there are better, more compelling, and more deserving opponents/matchups for Holloway.

Reactions: Diddy

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He lost to Mayweather.

You blathered on and on how he would beat Khabib. How’s that workin for ya? Seems to me you are the last guy to be calling anyone out for saying ‘stupid’ ****.

Ya he shouldn’t fight Max, because Max would embarrass him, because he doesn’t deserve a shot at Max until he wins at least one fight and because there are better, more compelling, and more deserving opponents/matchups for Holloway.

Mayweather fought in the UFC? Don't recall that ever happening.

If he had stayed focused on MMA instead of boxing, I think the result between he and Khabbib would have been different, but we'll never know at this point.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He lost to Mayweather.

You blathered on and on how he would beat Khabib. How’s that workin for ya? Seems to me you are the last guy to be calling anyone out for saying ‘stupid’ ****.

Do you not pay attention to the UFC? Fights get made based on how much money they bring in. Whether you like him or not, Conor is BY FAR the biggest star in the sport. If Max is going to vacate his belt at 145, then he's going to be looking for a big payday fight at 155. You don't get a bigger payday than to fight Conor.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I agree with this 100% and why I think the next mostly likely fight for Conor is Poirier or Cowboy. Both are very good fighters and both could definitely beat Conor, but they are better matchups than Khabib, Tony, Max, Lee, etc.

I think Conor likely only has 2-3 more fights left. I think he will finish his career with the Nate trilogy. If he loses his next fight, I think we see the Nate trilogy right away. If he wins, he will get a title shot. If we wins the belt back, maaaaybe there's an extra fight in there before the Nate trilogy, but only if it's a monster fight (such as a Khabib rematch if Tony beats Khabib and Conor beats Tony). So it's pretty important for him that he wins his next fight.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He lost to Mayweather.
Yeah, but wasn't that in boxing and using those rules? Not sure Mayweather would have the same advantage if Connor ever got him to the ground in a UFC fight. As a boxer I think you tend to become slower since you're just packing weight on at your arms while UFCers need to not only be powerful, but also quite agile.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Not sure Mayweather would have the same advantage if Connor ever got him to the ground in a UFC fight.
If Conor had one more weapon other than boxing...kicks, clinches, wrestling, BJJ, etc....he would absolutely destroy Floyd. Straight boxing, Floyd is too good for anybody in the UFC.

As a boxer I think you tend to become slower since you're just packing weight on at your arms while UFCers need to not only be powerful, but also quite agile.
Not. At. All.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad