GDT: UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by Avs_19, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Avs_19

Avs_19 Registered User

[​IMG]

Date: December 8, 2018
    Venue: Scotiabank Arena
    City: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT
    Viewing: PPV

MAIN CARD (PPV)

Featherweight Championship bout: Max Holloway (c) vs. Brian Ortega
    Women's Flyweight Championship bout: Valentina Shevchenko vs. Joanna Jedrzejczk
    Welterweight bout: Alex Oliveira vs. Gunnar Nelson
    Featherweight bout: Hakeem Dawodu vs. Kyle Bochniak
    Light Heavyweight bout: Jimi Manuwa vs. Thiago Santos

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, TSN 4)

Women's Strawweight bout: Cláudia Gadelha vs. Nina Ansaroff
    Women's Flyweight bout: Katlyn Chookagian vs. Jessica Eye
    Middleweight bout: Eryk Anders vs. Elias Theodorou
    Lightweight bout: Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Gilbert Burns

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Light Heavyweight bout: Devin Clark vs. Aleksandar Rakić
    Bantamweight bout: Brad Katona vs. Matthew Lopez
    Welterweight bout: Chad Laprise vs. Dhiego Lima
    Lightweight bout: Carlos Diego Ferreira vs. Jesse Ronson​

2. Avs_19

Avs_19 Registered User

I can't wait for this main event. Hopefully nothing crazy happens in the next few days to prevent it from taking place. It's one of the best fights this year and a great stylistic match up. I still like Holloway to win because of his striking but Ortega has improved his stand up as well so I don't think it'll be easy. Maybe a stoppage in the championship rounds or a decision.

Good co-main as well. This is the type of fight they needed to determine the first 125 lb champion. Both are great strikers but Valentina is bigger and stronger and I think she's going to end up being too much for Joanna. It'll be interesting to see how Joanna looks when she's not draining herself significantly to make weight.

I'm glad to see Gunnar finally back and that could be a fun fight. Oliveira has had two strong performances in a row, including that win over Condit. Same with Manuwa vs. Santos since those two are probably just going to throw bombs at each other until one of them goes out.

pistolpete11 likes this.
  3. m9

m9 Registered User Sponsor

Fun main event and a very interesting co-main as well. I'm a bit disappointed with the card overall as I don't think it has that elite 3rd fight, but overall some good depth everywhere. Lots of fighters from Canada, which is good. One of the guys from Canada is Brad Katona who won TUF a couple seasons back and looked pretty solid doing so.

Lots of fights worth watching all over the card.

td_ice and pistolpete11 like this.
  4. Avs_19

Avs_19 Registered User

It wasn't an elite fight with big names but Moicano vs. Bektic is a very good fight and it was going to be on the main card until Bektic pulled out. Replacing that with Dawodu vs. Bochniak certainly weakens the main card.

m9 likes this.
  5. pistolpete11

pistolpete11 Registered User

Agreed with you guys. This is one of those main events you are just holding your breath, knocking on wood, crossing your fingers, etc. that nothing goes wrong. I really have no idea who wins and I'm a big fan of both guys. Just pure excitement.

The co-main is interesting, but I do expect Valentine to kind of dominate. She's already beat Joanna a couple of times in Muay Thai if I'm not mistaken, she's bigger, she's stronger, from what I've seen she's better on the ground, Joanna doesn't really have one punch KO power (at least at strawweight). I just don't see a path to victory for Joanna. Basically the only hope is that she improves by not having to cut weight. Of course she's talented enough that it's a fight, but I just don't see how she wins.

Avs_19 likes this.
  6. MD thaivuN

MD thaivuN Anime Music Hipster

Nerd
    Home Page:
    Joanna vs Valentina is interesting. I looked at the short highlights of Valentina's 3 wins over Joanna in Muay Thai and honestly, all those highlight footage could tell me was that Valentina is a better grappler than Joanna in striking bouts. Repeated sequences of "Joanna throws naked kick, Valentina catches it, Valentina throws her on the ground". Valentina is very good on the counter and has a good ground game, but she leaves a lot to be desired as a lead striker. On the other hand, Joanna has deteriorated her counter striking and pressure game over her UFC run, but has a developed a nice outfighting boxing game and improved her takedown defense a whole lot. My feeling is that there is 2 outcomes for this fight: Joanna winning via potshots as Valentina waits for the counter or Valentina wins via better ground game.

Santos vs Manuwa: i guess another middleweight gatekeeper is probably going to get an easy entry to the top 5 of Light Heavyweight lol.

7. BGDDYKWL

BGDDYKWL Registered User

Not to get too much into MMAth, but Shevchenko beat Holm (and if memory serves put her on her back a few times), and Holm seemed physically stronger in the clinch than both Ronda and Cyborg. Shevchenko should absolutely ragdoll Joanna. As mentioned above, I see zero path to victory for her.

8. Neutrinos

Neutrinos Registered User

I'm hoping Joanna gets knocked out in the 1st round

She's truly the most unlikable fighter on the entire UFC roster

Peter Griffin and m9 like this.
  9. Sheppy

Sheppy Registered User

Really? I disagree quite a bit.

Speaking of which... JJ looked very healthy when she squared off with Valentina.

10. Neutrinos

Really.

11. Sheppy

Sheppy Registered User

Meh, I find people like Nunes, Covington, Jones, etc way more unlikable.

I am not exposed and LSCII like this.
  12. invictus

invictus Registered User

I really want Holloway to win, but I am worried that Ortega will :(

13. Jasper

Jasper Registered User

Both of these guys have been unstoppable. I don't know who I want to win and I hate to see the other guy lose. Easily the most interesting fight of the year... maybe for the past few years.

14. Neutrinos

I think Ortega takes it

He looks like he could fight at 170, and with the 5 inch reach advantage he'll have on Saturday, I think he'll be too much for Holloway

I am the Liquor and td_ice like this.
  15. m9

I wanted to wait until after he made weight, so now that he has.. I like Max pretty easily in this fight. He's on a completely other level than Ortega on the feet and I think he can pick him apart. Not sure when that finish comes but I think he gets it. Very surprised he's the underdog.

16. pistolpete11

pistolpete11 Registered User

YES! We have a fight!

I've gone back and fourth on her. I liked her initially, then I hated her when she was a coach on TUF, then I liked her again, then I hated her when she started blaming everyone else for her losing to Rose, then I double hated her when she kept acting like she was the best when she lost to Rose twice.

But she's far from the most unlikeable. That title is firmly held by Colby. Even if Colby is 100% just an act, it's a ****ty, obnoxious act. I honestly can't even listen to him talk. I don't even like to watch him fight. I hope Woodley breaks his jaw.

I'd pick Max to win if I had to, but it's close for me. Ortega has KO power and doesn't need much time or room to sink in a submission. So even if Max picks him apart, which I agree he will, Ortega could find a way to finish the fight.

In the end though, I think Max is too fast and long for Ortega and will keep him at distance. Ortega is tall for the division, too, but he doesn't use it that same way as Max. At least from what I've seen. So I think he will struggle on the feet and even though he's a BJJ whiz, I don't think he's great at getting the fight to the ground. But unlike Joanna, I can see a couple of ways he could win.

17. Kevin27nyi

Kevin27nyi Trotz <3

I think Max wins the rounds and then Ortega sneaks a finish.

18. darko

darko Registered User

Weigh ins on right now. Shevchenko looks like a power lifter.

19. Avs_19

Avs_19 Registered User

I'm glad we finally got through everything with the fight still on. FWIW, Holloway seemed to be in good spirits at the weigh in and looked better than his last fight.

I saw a stat yesterday about strikes landed vs. absorbed per minute at 145 and Holloway ranked second to only Volkanovski among ranked fighters. Meanwhile, Ortega is ranked last in significant strikes absorbed per minute and he's the only ranked FW with a negative striking differential.

Ortega has shown he can hang around and recover and he has a lot of power but that volume is going to add up. Like I said in my earlier post, I think it'll be close into the late rounds but Holloway will pull away and win the decision or via stoppage. Holloway's health and/or weight is the only reason I can see for him being the underdog on some sites. Even though the fight might be close for a while, I think Holloway should be the clear favourite going in.

pistolpete11 likes this.
  20. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    Max vs Ortega is a really interesting fight. I want Max to win, but I have a weird feeling BO will. Although every time I get a bad feeling that Holloway will lose, he surprises me and makes it look easy, so who knows? I think this fight boils down to the reach advantage of Ortega vs the output of Holloway. While BO has looked great, I don't think he's been in there with a guy the caliber of Holloway and a pressure fighter like him. That can make even the most skilled make mistakes.

21. Sheppy

Sheppy Registered User

I think Holloway’s stand up is going to be the deciding factor. I’m 70-30 on Holloway, and like 90-10 on Shevchenko.

I’m a big fan of all the people in the main/co-main event.

22. m9

I think Ortega's stand-up is vastly overrated because of the Edgar KO.

pistolpete11 likes this.
  23. Diddy

Diddy Registered User

Ortega is a *****e but I'm still cheering for him just cause I think max should be fighting at 155 minimum (dudes as talk as Cormier for cripes sake lol) and i think he moves up win or lose. Regardless I think max has this. Ortegas stand-up just isnt good enough imo

24. Diddy

Diddy Registered User

Where have you seen that Ortega has a 5 inch reach advantage? Every place ive looked has them at the ame 69 inch reach. Plus reach isnt nearly as important in striking as, yknow, good boxing skills.

25. Neutrinos

Brian Ortega - Wikipedia