GDT: UFC 228: Woodley vs. Till

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I wish Rory was still with the UFC. Woodley/MacDonald 2 would be insane at this point. Moose/Mac is gonna be good too.

Reactions: Avs_19 and 1specter

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Usman is very good I agree, but his striking leaves a lot to be desired IMO and I don't see him being successful at taking a wrestling approach with Woodley. Woodley's only 'weakness' at this point is potentially his gas tank, but even then if you can't take him down and you can't knock him out or get inside cause his right hand could KO you at any moment, how do you beat him? I don't see him losing for a long time, if ever again assuming he retires within 2 years.

I think Till would've done better if he had another 2-3 fights under his belt. Unfortunately for him, WW is shallow right now and with Colby out with an injury and RDA losing his title shot he had to step up.

Not shallow at all. Till barely beat Thompson, was over weight and the fight was meh.

Colby was ready for Nov 3rd...2 months from now. They needed a headliner for this card, that's only reason they rushed Till.

The UFC screwed up with the interim title fight in Colby vs RDA. They wanted to milk a Colby vs Brazil factor.

So they do it then 3 months later the interim champ is stripped? Ridiculous.

Don't forget:

RDA was #1 contender already, he beat Lawler.

Because Woodley was out RDA took another fight and then Colby became #1 challenger.

Because the interim champ wasn't ready to fight after 3 months they stripped him and put Till as #1 challenger.

Colby is still next when Woodley returns but watch him do same as RDA and take another fight and lose his #1 status.

Then we go in circles waiting for Woodley because of UFC management.

Reactions: I am not exposed

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I wish Rory was still with the UFC. Woodley/MacDonald 2 would be insane at this point. Moose/Mac is gonna be good too.

Fights I want to see:

Jones vs Cormier at HW
Romero vs Cormier at LHW
Romero vs Gustafsson at LHW
Jones vs Gustaffsson #2 at LHW
Colby vs Woodley at WW
Rory vs Woodley #2 at WW
GSP vs Woodley at WW
GSP vs Mcgregor/Khabib at LW
Ferguson vs Khabib(take 6729) at LW
DJ vs TJ at FlyW
Cody Garbrandt vs army tank at open weight

off top of my head.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Not shallow at all. Till barely beat Thompson, was over weight and the fight was meh.

Colby was ready for Nov 3rd...2 months from now. They needed a headliner for this card, that's only reason they rushed Till.

The UFC screwed up with the interim title fight in Colby vs RDA. They wanted to milk a Colby vs Brazil factor.

So they do it then 3 months later the interim champ is stripped? Ridiculous.

Don't forget:

RDA was #1 contender already, he beat Lawler.

Because Woodley was out RDA took another fight and then Colby became #1 challenger.

Because the interim champ wasn't ready to fight after 3 months they stripped him and put Till as #1 challenger.

Colby is still next when Woodley returns but watch him do same as RDA and take another fight and lose his #1 status.

Then we go in circles waiting for Woodley because of UFC management.

I don't disagree that this was overall awfully managed by the UFC. However, WW is definitely shallow, at least compared to what it used to be. GSP will probably never fight at WW again. Condit and Lawler are pretty much done. Hendricks was a juicy pig who was never the same post USADA and now he's retired. Rory went to Bellator. Till is still very young and has another 2-3 years before he's in his peak years, and it's not clear if he even stays at WW. That leaves Usman, RDA and Colby...out of those 3 I only think Usman is a legitimate threat of any kind but again his striking isn't great. RDA has excellent striking and fundamentals but he's very mediocre on the back foot, and Colby's biggest strength is his stamina, his wrestling is good but not amazing and his striking is pretty bad.

This division is a shell of what it used to be. That being said, if Woodley can get another win or two against Colby / RDA / Usman I'll have him firmly placed as the 2nd greatest WW ever.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I loved Rory but he has a lot of miles on him and those fights with Lawler changed him. I think if he came back Woodley would be the favourite this time around. That would definitely be the best WW fight that could be made at this point in time though.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't disagree that this was overall awfully managed by the UFC. However, WW is definitely shallow, at least compared to what it used to be. GSP will probably never fight at WW again. Condit and Lawler are pretty much done. Hendricks was a juicy pig who was never the same post USADA and now he's retired. Rory went to Bellator. Till is still very young and has another 2-3 years before he's in his peak years, and it's not clear if he even stays at WW. That leaves Usman, RDA and Colby...out of those 3 I only think Usman is a legitimate threat of any kind but again his striking isn't great. RDA has excellent striking and fundamentals but he's very mediocre on the back foot, and Colby's biggest strength is his stamina, his wrestling is good but not amazing and his striking is pretty bad.

This division is a shell of what it used to be. That being said, if Woodley gets can get another win or two against Colby / RDA / Usman I'll have him firmly placed as the 2nd greatest WW ever.

Well Till wanted to win now and defend once or twice at WW I believe.

Will he stay at WW for 1-2 matches to regain #1 contender, try again and then defend 2 more times? He doesn't seem like he wants to do that cut 4-5 more times.

Division IS a shell of it's former self but it ain't terrible either. GSP was champ during a stacked WW division so it looks worse in comparison.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Hendricks basically beat GSP and Woodley is a better Hendricks. I still think that fight would be lit.

I don't know what to think of that Hendricks fight. GSP was starting to fade and was facing a juiced up Hendricks. I think Hendricks obviously had the bigger moments in that fight, but I do honestly think GSP out pointed Hendricks in that fight regardless. That decision could have gone either way.

Woodley is better than Hendricks, but juiced up Hendricks was pretty insane. Woodley-GSP would be intriguing during prime GSP years and would probably be a toss up, but now I think Woodley would mess up him up pretty bad. I think GSP is the goat, but he's sticking with money fights and for good reason.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I loved Rory but he has a lot of miles on him and those fights with Lawler changed him. I think if he came back Woodley would be the favourite this time around. That would definitely be the best WW fight that could be made at this point in time though.

The Red King. Mousasi might be the best fighter at welterweight though if he can cut down to it.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I don't know what to think of that Hendricks fight. GSP was starting to fade and was facing a juiced up Hendricks. I think Hendricks obviously had the bigger moments in that fight, but I do honestly think GSP out pointed Hendricks in that fight regardless. That decision could have gone either way.

Woodley is better than Hendricks, but juiced up Hendricks was pretty insane. Woodley-GSP would be intriguing during prime GSP years and would probably be a toss up, but now I think Woodley would mess up him up pretty bad. I think GSP is the goat, but he's sticking with money fights and for good reason.

He is only 37 man. If you took care of yourself like George has, he will have some longevity. He wants that McGregor fight. Mark my words, Khabib will lose and GSP vs McG for the fight of the century at MSG.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
He is only 37 man. If you took care of yourself like George has, he will have some longevity. He wants that McGregor fight. Mark my words, Khabib will lose and GSP vs McG for the fight of the century at MSG.

I'm totally down for McG vs GSP! Sign me up

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Put some money down on McGregor, before the odds normalize a bit. I'm thinking of doing that myself. Right now you can get McGregor for close to +140. As the fight comes closer and the press conferences happen and the hype builds, that line will shift much lower.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Put some money down on McGregor, before the odds normalize a bit. I'm thinking of doing that myself. Right now you can get McGregor for close to +140. As the fight comes closer and the press conferences happen and the hype builds, that line will shift much lower.

Apparently McGregor isn't even gonna do press.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great performance by Woodley. I know the odds change based on who the money comes in on but it's crazy he was the underdog. I loved seeing him come out aggressive from the start and eventually get an impressive finish. I think he'll make it look very easy against Covington too if/when that fight happens. I doubt GSP takes it but the UFC should offer him whatever he wants to get Woodley vs. GSP as the MSG main event.

Till is very young and he'll be back. Hopefully it's at 185 though because he needs to stop draining himself to make 170.

That was some impressive power Andrade showed. She just keeps getting better and she established herself as the #1 contender.

Zabit looked great and did what he needed to do against a late replacement opponent. I honestly had no clue what a banana split submission was before tonight. I'm cool with the Mendes fight or if they want to try and put him against Yair again. I just want to see him against high level competition.

I'm not sure how far Abdul Razak Alhassan can go but the guy puts on a show every time he fights.

Suarez looks like a legit contender at 115. There are some good potential fights at the top of this division and it's easily the best women's division.

Another good performance by Sterling. Not the best competition but he has bounced back nicely after that brutal KO loss against Moraes.

It was nice to see both Miller and Sanchez pick up wins on the online prelims.

Reactions: td_ice and Deen

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe 170 isn't at it's peak, but you had 3 legit challengers in Till, Usman, and Covington. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: td_ice

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Big Rig won that fight vs GSP and it was a joke that the decision went in favor of GSP.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Big Rig won that fight vs GSP and it was a joke that the decision went in favor of GSP.

Not true. As I said earlier, Hendricks had the bigger moments in that fight, but in a point system, which is what UFC fights use, GSP squeezed out a very close win. Go check out the significant strikes/takedowns by round and you'll see it was the right decision. Factor in that GSP was facing a juiced up fighter and I support the decision even more.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks: Breaking Down the Fightmetric Numbers

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Too much too soon for Till. Very impressive performance by Woodley. Looked like the seasoned fighter for sure. Till has potential, but his resume isn't that impressive. He beat Cowboy is a dominating way, but even though Cowboy is a fun fighter to watch, he does lose quite a bit. And his victory over Thompson he was overweight. And many had Thompson winning that fight!

I echo what others are saying in regards to its shame Rory McDonald not being in the UFC anymore. The Lawler fight did change him, but imo, he would be the best competition for Woodley. I can't see Covington, RDA, Usman causing Woodley too many problems.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not true. As I said earlier, Hendricks had the bigger moments in that fight, but in a point system, which is what UFC fights use, GSP squeezed out a very close win. Go check out the significant strikes/takedowns by round and you'll see it was the right decision. Factor in that GSP was facing a juiced up fighter and I support the decision even more.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks: Breaking Down the Fightmetric Numbers

Scoring is subjective. To me, Hendricks won that fight. That's what I saw and that's how I view it.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Scoring is subjective. To me, Hendricks won that fight. That's what I saw and that's how I view it.

I saw GSP outstrike Hendricks by points as described earlier and that's how statistics back it up as well. In the end, Hendricks was in that fight to finish GSP and he couldn't despite being juiced up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hendricks/GSP was a close fight that could have gone either way. I had it for Hendricks but if someone else had it for GSP fair enough.

If you think you have the definitive scorecard for that fight you are probably biased towards one guy. Or, you are factoring in something completely irrelevant like "that guy was juiced up".

h2

Mar 26, 2002
BTW, you keep saying Hendrick's was juiced to the gills, yet it was GSP that bailed on the extra testing for that fight. He wanted to know what tests and when they'd be administered, despite them supposedly being "random". Funny how people say Big Pig was a juicer, but GSP gets a pass.

E-mails detail drug testing rift with GSP, rival

GSP had issues with NSAC administering samples and the randomness of it (which is weird, I admit), Hendricks had issue with any sort of additional testing from the start. GSP has routinely done additional testing. I'm not sure anything else needs to be said about this. One fighter is clean, the other has fallen apart since USADA has been implemented.

Statistics vs Opinion - I'll take the statistics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad