GDT: UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt 2

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
God I hate Dillashaw. Hopefully Cruz comes back and embarasses him again.

Cody is such an idiot though. Same damn mistake as last fight.
He won't. TJ has gotten so freaking good the last couple years.

Cody has a relatively crap fight IQ....he was able to execute a great game plan and beat Dom, but basically a one trick pony. Dom was cocky and not prepared to adjust, TJ is a ****ing pitbull with great fight IQ (even if he is also a snake)

Reactions: Virtanen18

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Cody is a hell of a striker but has zero fight IQ. He had TJ dead to rights and then fought like a complete idiot and gifted the fight to Dillasnake.

Hope someone sleeps that cocky little prick soon.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Dillashaw trains with Lomachenko from time to time now. I honestly don't see anyone beating him anytime soon unless DJ wants to finally move up. Cejudo fought a brilliant fight on the scorecards, but DJ kinda whooped him in the other rounds. If takedowns weren't worth so much, DJ might've won that on merit. Cejudo knows how to point fight though and I was actually telling my buddy I think Henry will pull it off. He's an Olympian and had two years to figure out how to beat one guy. Meanwhile, Demetrious was streaming video games on his twatch.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
TJ needs another 3-4 title defenses and then he'll have the greatest 135 status. Not enough title defenses there to have that status ATM.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
TJ needs another 3-4 title defenses and then he'll have the greatest 135 status. Not enough title defenses there to have that status ATM.

He has to beat Cruz as well. Cruz came back and walked him in his first fight back in forever. Cruz is currently the 135 GOAT.

Cody should consider a sports psychologist. The moment he has any success, he just spazzes out and loses all gameplan.

If he could learn to control his emotions and not start swinging like an idiot, he could be one of the best.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wasn't very excited for this card going in but the top three fights delivered in a big way.

Main event wasn't all that different than last time. Both guys landed some shots, Cody started wildly swinging for a finish, and TJ made him pay for it. I thought that was a good stoppage too.

DJ vs. Cejudo was a great fight and it really could've gone either way. I thought DJ won 1 and 3 and Cejudo won 4 and 5 so it came down to round 2. I actually thought Cejudo did enough but I'd have to watch it again. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and the UFC commentators are known for hyperbole but they might be right about that being the best flyweight fight in UFC history.

I'm not big on immediate rematches but this is the exact scenario where it makes most sense to me. A dominant champion just lost a close decision so I think you have to do the trilogy. Good for Cejudo calling his shot but he shouldn't be able to take the belt and jump up a weight class after that win.

Moicano looked great and put himself in contention. I think a fight against Mendes would be a good test for him next.

Alex Perez stood out on the prelims with another strong performance tonight. He landed over 100 strikes in less than 5 mins.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
DJ isn't getting an immediate rematch, unless Cruz demands a TJ fight.

However, is Cruz still recovering from his arm injury? If so, we're going to get TJ/Cejduo, and probably at 125, as TJ will call the shot on that one. After tonight, I'm now fully convinced Cejduo, and DJ for that matter, isn't beating TJ at 135. Both would be in too deep.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I love TJ. Was exceptionally satisfying to see him whoops Garbrandt again so handily after months of that utter nonsense of "Cody would have won if there was more than 5 seconds!". Bug off with that. TJ only had 5 seconds and he nerfed Cody in fight 1.

He absolutely outclassed him this fight

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
DJ isn't getting an immediate rematch, unless Cruz demands a TJ fight.

However, is Cruz still recovering from his arm injury? If so, we're going to get TJ/Cejduo, and probably at 125, as TJ will call the shot on that one. After tonight, I'm now fully convinced Cejduo, and DJ for that matter, isn't beating TJ at 135. Both would be in too deep.

I don't think Cruz can demand anything right now. He has been out for two years and lost his last fight.

Dillashaw has defended his belt once and Cejudo has yet to do so. These guys should fight contenders in their own divisions. Doing the champion vs. champion thing really only made sense because of DJ's dominance but that's gone now. Give me Dillashaw vs. Moraes and the Cejudo vs. DJ trilogy next. If DJ is seriously injured then that obviously changes things.

Last edited:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
God I hate Dillashaw. Hopefully Cruz comes back and embarasses him again.

Cody is such an idiot though. Same damn mistake as last fight.
Why Hate Dillashaw?
Extreme skills. Nice guy.

The silly narrative Alpha Male tries to push about him quitting on the team has been debunked. Faber felt cucked on national TV by McGregor bringing it up and reacted. But Alpha male let 6 other fighters go train with bang Ludwig in Colorado and didn't bat an eye. They only care if TJ is doing it because of Mcgregor clowning them verbally.

In the end, TJ wanted to train at both gyms(Most great fighters do have multiple training spots) and TJ taught classes at TAM for free and actually had to pay dues, while getting paid to train in Colorado AND STILL he stayed with both teams, but Faber said "nope, us only or you are blacklisted. We can't have you spying on our fighters"

Faber gave him an impossible choice for an ultimatum and then blamed him for choosing the logical one.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
TJ has an argument for GOAT 135er, for sure. His resume is pretty impressive. I'd say he's a controversial split decision against Cruz away from being the unquestioned greatest 135er. Dom's the only other guy who you could make a case for. A win over Cruz or a couple more title defenses and I think it's pretty clear he's the GOAT 135er.

Congrats to Cejudo. In a vacuum, with the 10-point-must system, I think it was the right decision, but I'm not a fan of the champ losing his belt over such a close, indecisive fight. Especially one that's been as dominant as DJ. DJ f***ed it up for everyone by not taking the TJ fight, though. That was the only fight I wanted to see below the featherweight division and now it makes zero sense to make that fight. They almost have to do the trilogy between DJ and Cejudo. As good of a fight as it was, it's not something I'm going to get super excited about.

For TJ, damn. There's no big fights to make with the DJ fight being off the table for a while. Assuncao deserves it the most especially since he has beaten TJ before. That's not a fight that could headline a card, though. If he's healthy, I guess Cruz could talk his way into a title fight even though he lost his last fight. That doesn't seem to matter any more, though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
UFC 227 on Aug. 4 in Los Angeles, a show headlined by T.J. Dillashaw vs. Cody Garbrandt for the bantamweight title and Demetrious Johnson vs. Henry Cejudo for the flyweight title, is currently estimated at doing 300,000 buys.

The number was well above most expectations for the show, which also drew the largest live crowd the company has ever drawn at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, beating out such major fights as Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie and Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano.

The number would be in the same range as the April 7 show with Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Al Iaquinta, for third place this year behind the January and July shows built around the heavyweight title.

UFC 227 estimated pay-per-view numbers are in

I was way off on my prediction. I didn't think this card had a chance to do over 200k buys.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
i expected around 125K buys lol neither 4 headliners had shown any kind of drawing ability till now.

No doubt. Did McGregor getting announced the day before cause some buzz? I don't get it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
No doubt. Did McGregor getting announced the day before cause some buzz? I don't get it.
Can you buy the PPV after the fight's already happened? Maybe some people heard DJ lost in a controversial decision and bought the fight after the fact?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Can you buy the PPV after the fight's already happened? Maybe some people heard DJ lost in a controversial decision and bought the fight after the fact?

You can, but nobody does. There were probably more people who bought the card thinking Conor was fighting on it than bought it already knowing the decision.

I don't know, I don't have an answer. Maybe just leftover Lesnar & Conor buzz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad