GDT: UFC 226: Miocic vs. Cormier

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's a shame Brock can't take punches, a Brock with a chin would be one of the best HW fighters out there.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Benefit of the doubt or not, steroids are not what made Jones knock DC into oblivion in their last fight, his skill and talent was the reason.
If juicing doesnt help, why does Jones get caught doing it so many times? The one time he didn’t look juiced up he looked a minor league journeyman against OSP. Jones is a cheater POS. That is his legacy until he proves otherwise.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
So happy for DC. Awesome to see this after everything he's been through and how hard he took the Jones losses. Love that smile on his face.

Also have no interest in DC vs Lesnar, what the f*** was that WWE shit. Should do a rematch with Stipe and DC.

Reactions: torero

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Up until the knockout, Cormier really didn't look very good, but then again, either did Stipe

I'm not sure what his game plan was heading into the fight, but Stipe did a lousy job of using his jab to keep distance. He has nearly a 5 inch reach advantage, but you wouldn't have known it watching the fight

I kept thinking 'why is Stipe standing so close to him?'

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Up until the knockout, Cormier really didn't look very good, but then again, either did Stipe
He was kinda eating Stipes jab, but it looked like he was trying to feel him out. Did the same thing with Volkan.

member 51464

They should let Ngannou fight DC next so he can be sure to break Conor's defense of titles record, haha.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fitting that a 5'10 little fat guy wins the HW title while the co-main is cancelled because Max insists on almost killing himself to make a lower weight class. Get this weight cutting nonsense figured out, UFC.

Overall a great night of fights, aside from the obvious. Nice to see Pettis get the win too.

Reactions: ck26 and Avs_19

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Stipe is kinda chinny. It's not Amir Khan bad, but he's been knocked out by Struve before, got rocked by Overeem and could've been finished if Overeem wasn't an idiot, and then quickly finished by DC.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I wonder if the refs and the UFC get pissed about shoving like Stipe did tonight, or if there's an understanding that they're intense competitors and probably ain't in their right mind after getting their bell rung.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I wonder if the refs and the UFC get pissed about shoving like Stipe did tonight, or if there's an understanding that they're intense competitors and probably ain't in their right mind after getting their bell rung.
The latter. DC lost his shit on Big John in the Jones rematch last year because he was concussed and didn't really understand what was going on. Everyone seemed to be pretty understanding especially Big John himself.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The latter. DC lost his **** on Big John in the Jones rematch last year because he was concussed and didn't really understand what was going on. Everyone seemed to be pretty understanding especially Big John himself.

Right, you could tell when the ref was cradling him that he had absolutely no clue what planet he was on.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was a great finish to the night and well deserved for DC. Not only is he an all-time great fighter, he also just seems like a genuinely good person. I'm glad to see him actually get big ovations now and be recognized as one of the best. Most of the focus is usually on his wrestling but his hands are also so damn good. He was landing some good shots even before the punch in the clinch that dropped Stipe.

The stuff with Lesnar afterwards was so bad. I have no clue what Lesnar's USADA status is but if/when he's cleared, I think that'll be one of DC's easiest fights.

Ngannou vs. Lewis was one of the worst fights I've ever seen. Out of all the possible scenarios, I never saw that coming. At least Lewis might have somewhat of an excuse with his back problems.

Felder vs. Perry lived up to the hype. That was one of Perry's better performances even though he didn't get the finish. Joining up with Greg Jackson was a good move for him and he should stay there. Props to Felder for taking the fight on short notice, moving up a weight class, and going the distance with a broken arm.

I loved seeing the old Pettis back too and hopefully it wasn't just for one night. The guy is really good off his back and finally showed it again.

Rountree winning the way he did was the most surprising result on the card for me. He's a very good striker but I didn't expect him to take out Saki that quick. Nice left right up the middle to end it.

Another nice finish for Costa. I still don't know how good he is because he has mostly just been a power puncher but he's getting it done and looks impressive. I'd like to see how he does against better competition.

That was just your typical Assuncao fight. He's one of the most well-rounded fighters in the division. Unfortunately for him, he still doesn't have that one signature win. He needs to go out there and KO someone like Cruz if he wants a title shot. That's probably unfair but I don't see him getting it with these decision wins.

Reactions: m9

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Remember when Roy Nelson shoved a ref?

I don't remember any disciplinary action being taken

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It's a shame Brock can't take punches, a Brock with a chin would be one of the best HW fighters out there.
I assume you mean "doesn't like to get hit"

Because Brock's never been knocked out. Even when Cain created a vagina on his face he was still awake.

Reactions: TRG

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Fitting that a 5'10 little fat guy wins the HW title while the co-main is cancelled because Max insists on almost killing himself to make a lower weight class. Get this weight cutting nonsense figured out, UFC.

Overall a great night of fights, aside from the obvious. Nice to see Pettis get the win too.

Max was concussed. I don't know what to tell you. Nothing about how he was earlier this week screamed weight cutting. He was on another planet. With Chiesa missing weight yesterday, Romero not being able to come in on weight two fights in a row and Dern basically refusing to cut, you really think they would cover up a bad weight cut? If they were going to sweep anything under the rug it would be a concussion, especially with how much CTE is in the news.

Having said that, in a perfect world, the UFC does what ONE FC did and just moves everyone up a weight class, overnight, no questions asked. You're the 170 champ? Not anymore, you're now the 185 pound champ.

Last edited:

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Max was concussed. I don't know what to tell you. Nothing about how he was earlier this week screamed weight cutting. He was on another planet. With Chiesa missing weight yesterday, Romero not being able to come in on weight two fights in a row and Dern basically refusing to cut, you really think they would cover up a bad weight cut? If they were going to sweep anything under the rug it would be a concussion, especially with how much CTE is in the news.

Having said that, in a perfect world, the UFC does what ONE FC did and just moves everyone up a weight class, overnight, no questions asked. You're the 170 champ? Not anymore, you're now the 185 pound champ.

Actually they don't know what is wrong with Max yet, Dana said it may have been water poisoning from drinking to much water...as hard it is to believe.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
If juicing doesnt help, why does Jones get caught doing it so many times? The one time he didn’t look juiced up he looked a minor league journeyman against OSP. Jones is a cheater POS. That is his legacy until he proves otherwise.
He didn't look juiced up against OSP? He was huge, gained hella muscle, doing heavy deads and squats, hanging out with a bunch of powerlifting juiceheads and that was the fight he didn't juice in?

Every fighter is a cheater POS. Jones is just dumb and gets caught. He needs an Olympic hookup like Yoel instead of taking that back alley shit.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Actually they don't know what is wrong with Max yet, Dana said it may have been water poisoning from drinking to much water...as hard it is to believe.
It's not really hard to believe. They chug ton of water when they start the weight cut. And symptoms are quite similar to post-concussion symptoms.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Good thing I didn't bet tonight. Lol. I was mildly concerned Ngannou would be gun-shy but my God. For those upset about Lesnar getting the shot, boy did that fight ever leave the door WIDE open for it. And yes of course it was planned before that, but you can easily justify it now. It's a draw, and they desperately need that. Lesnar stood and traded with Hunt for an entire round last time he fought. For all the criticism he gets that shouldn't be forgotten/dismissed. Lesnar engaged far more (and with a far better striker) than Ngannou did tonight. Only guy clearly more deserving is Blaydes. Very few people have any interest in that, particularly casuals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad