GDT: UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero 2

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah, that was weak on Punk's part - especially in your hometown
Him going straight to the hospital probably had something to do with it. I feel so bad for the guy because his previous employer was negligent in protecting his health and then had the nerve to fund that doctor's bullshit lawsuit which was specifically timed to mess with his fight preparation. It was really disgusting and I think his time in pro wrestling left him with brain trauma.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You realize the whole point of him doing that is to make people hate him as a heel and (most importantly) pay money to see someone beat him right?
Yeah, but I'm not a pro wrestling fan, so that shit doesn't work on me. I don't want to hear him talk shit. I don't want to see him fight. I just want him to go away.

And I love some good shit talking. Conor, Bisping, Chael, Rampage, etc. Those guys are/were great, because it was authentic and funny. This over-the-top act Colby is putting on is just lame and really tiresome to watch.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah, but I'm not a pro wrestling fan, so that **** doesn't work on me. I don't want to hear him talk ****. I don't want to see him fight. I just want him to go away.

And I love some good **** talking. Conor, Bisping, Chael, Rampage, etc. Those guys are/were great, because it was authentic and funny. This over-the-top act Colby is putting on is just lame and really tiresome to watch.
You realize Chael basically copies Superstar Graham promos right? Rampage was also a gigantic wrestling fan and that's where a ton of his act comes from. Why do you think he came to the ring with a dog chain?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I never thought Rampage was a great trash talker. The guy sounds fairly unintelligent when he speaks

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You realize Chael basically copies Superstar Graham promos right? Rampage was also a gigantic wrestling fan and that's where a ton of his act comes from. Why do you think he came to the ring with a dog chain?

You're forgetting that Conor's act is pretty much all Ric Flair inspired.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Did you not see his eye blow up? He was hurt
Not what I meant. Historically to get a 10-8 round, at the very least you have to drop a guy and almost finish him or get a take down early in a round and beat the crap out of them for 4+ minutes. Whitaker never did any of that to Romero. As bad ad MMA judging is 10-8 rounds are not given out for simple volume striking which results in bruises. There is literally no comparison between Whitaker's first two rounds and the fifth round where Romero dropped Whitaker with one punch and came extremely close to finishing him.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Colby is not smart, quick, or clever enough to talk **** with Bisping. His trash talking is that of a middle schooler.
He tries way too hard and he isn't very good at it. I am not a big fan of people who trash talk their way into fights and/or popularity but at least that guy from Ireland for example is good at it and backed it up by knocking some people out. Covington blankets and grinds people to victories which isn't exciting at all and then talks like he is some world beater. Last night for example. He won and good for him, but am I supposed to be impressed that he held a smaller guy up against the cage for most of the fight and got a few take downs with which he couldn't keep RDA down or do any damage to?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good main event. I don't really have an opinion on who should win as it was so close, but at this point it's fair to see that these two fighters are extremely close. Very similar to Woodley/Thompson in that one guy walked away with the belt both times but it's hard to say one guy is better than the other. As for what's next, it's gotta be Gastelum getting that title shot. I'd also be cool seeing Romero move up to provide a new look at 205lbs.

I know some people were big on RDA for this fight, but I thought Covington winning was the easiest money on the card. Too big, too strong. Just the exact kind of bad matchup RDA was bound to run into eventually at the higher weight class. I know people don't like Covington, but for me he's a breath of fresh air at 170lbs and will actually keep things interesting with Woodley. Sure his trash talk is cringy, mouth-breather stuff at times but people hate him and that's all that matters. RDA can fall back a bit, but I do think he'll stay in that top 5. I don't like him at all vs someone like Usman or Covington, though.

Holm exposed Anderson a bit there. Hard to really get excited for anything at woman's 135 right now, but I guess she's back in the mix.

Nice win for Tuivasa. Big night in general for getting some new blood at HW. I wouldn't give him a massive step up next - the winner of Struve v Tybura seems more appropriate.

I missed the Jackson/Punk fight. Sounds like it was terrible.

After one of the most boring first few minutes of a fight ever, Curtis Blaydes looked really good in there. Great finish. He's not the most exciting guy all the time, but he gets the job done. He was the top HW prospect in MMA for awhile, and nobody knew how good Ngannou was when he took him out a few years back. The fact that Blayds has clawed his way back into the top 5 is pretty impressive. I'd be fine giving him Volkov next in a #1 contender fight. As for Overeem, I see lots of people calling for him to retire. He still gets paid a ton of money and even despite this loss is a top HW in the world. He isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

Gadelha and Esparza was close - no real thoughts on this one. Both up there at 115 lbs.

When Bektic is on, he's so good. This was obviously a close fight, but it's still crazy how he lost to Elkins like that. I don't know if he can win it, but Bektic is going to fight for a title by the end of 2019.

Man, in a time where lots of people hated him.. Rashad was always one of my favorites. Tough to see him go out like this, but credit for a great run. I think he'll have a long career analyzing the sport.

Nice win for Oliviera - when he's on, he's on. This was one of those nights.

I had kind of talked myself into seeing Benevidez fight DJ again, but I'll give some credit to Pettis here for doing better than I thought. Probably some rust on Benevidez and he'll stay in that top 5 for awhile.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
He tries way too hard and he isn't very good at it. I am not a big fan of people who trash talk their way into fights and/or popularity but at least that guy from Ireland for example is good at it and backed it up by knocking some people out. Covington blankets and grinds people to victories which isn't exciting at all and then talks like he is some world beater. Last night for example. He won and good for him, but am I supposed to be impressed that he held a smaller guy up against the cage for most of the fight and got a few take downs with which he couldn't keep RDA down or do any damage to?

His trash talk just feels forced its not fluid like Conor’s but then again if people are buying to see him get beat up then he’s doing his job. I don’t find his run in the WW division really impressive but what can you do except beat the guy thats put in front of you. I would expect Woodley to give him a good test

Reactions: The Madrigal

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I never thought Rampage was a great trash talker. The guy sounds fairly unintelligent when he speaks
But Rampage (and Chael) were funny. Colby is just annoying.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Covington has his cringe-worthy moments. But he's not as cringe-worthy as someone who refuses to fight and throws hand carts through a bus windows, costing five fighters their paycheques.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Covington has his cringe-worthy moments. But he's not as cringe-worthy as someone who refuses to fight and throws hand carts through a bus windows, costing five fighters their paycheques.
Not defending everything Conor has done, but he's infinitely more entertaining than Colby. Both in the the cage and when it comes to shit talking. The only time I've been entertained by Colby is when I watched him eat shit when trying to trash talk Bisping after this fight.

Colby is nothing but a collection of cringe worthy moments outside of the octagon.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not defending everything Conor has done, but he's infinitely more entertaining than Colby. Both in the the cage and when it comes to **** talking. The only time I've been entertained by Colby is when I watched him eat **** when trying to trash talk Bisping after this fight.

Colby is nothing but a collection of cringe worthy moments outside of the octagon.

I won't argue with that, but I'm not comparing their shit-talking skills.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Holly Holm is so athletic especially given her age. She's 36. How long could she go for? I can see her still fighting in her 40s.

Also I find her very attractive.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Holly Holm is so athletic especially given her age. She's 36. How long could she go for? I can see her still fighting in her 40s.

Also I find her very attractive.

I think she has the ability to fight that long as well, especially given the lack of depth in women's divisions. Might not be a title contender the entire time, but I don't think she's going anywhere for a while. Just not sure how much punishment she took in her boxing career and if that would have an impact going forward.

Also, line starts behind me.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->