GDT: UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero 2

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Romero's such a weird fighter, he does nothing for a good chunk of the time and then explodes. Combine that with his all-world wrestling and it's a hard style to counter completely. I thought Whittaker did a great job most of the fight with the oblique kick and jabs, but the times where he laid off the pressure he got clipped. I don't think he fully recovered after getting dropped that first time.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Whittaker looked like he lost concentration when he saw Romero's eye swell up, started going for a knockout instead of setting one up. Went from being really good keeping up pressure and distance to taking unnecessary chances. Third fight would be interesting from a pure talent perspective, not sure it makes sense for the company based on Romero missing weight twice in a row and now losing twice to Robert.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Props to both guys. Gotta make weight Yoel, but I could easily see the judges scoring that for Yoel, too. But Whittaker. What a beast. Won the first fight with 1 leg and the second with one hand. He took Yoel's best shots and somehow survived. A very deserving champion despite what you think about that fight.

Ugh, as much as I don't like Colby, that was impressive. Not sure how he beats Woodley, but he at least deserves the shot now.

Glad to see Holly win a decision by a wide margin. Nothing against Anderson, but Holly has had some tough breaks.

Tuivasa-Arlovski was a close fight. Arlovski is in that gatekeeper situation. Tuivasa passed it, but that's not going to be good enough for the top guys IMO. Great personality, though.

Blaydes. Hard to make a case for anyone else to get the winner of Stipe-DC unless Cain or Brock come back.

Overall a great night of fights despite the clown fight.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Romero got robbed. 1st and 2nd were obvious for Whitaker. 3rd was 10-9 for Romero since Whitaker recovered and landed some big shots of his own. 4th round should have gone to Romero. Close up until the end and Romero wobbled Whitaker twice at the end. 5th round under the new rules is a definite 10-8. Romero wins 48-47. At the very leasy Whitaker gets the 4th and it's a draw. I'll tell you who wasn't robbed, the fans. Fight of the year. Both guys are true warriors.

Colby Covington beat RDA but he's a joke. I have never seen a guy talk so much who does so little. Holding a guy up against the cage for 5 rounds and getting a couple take downs without doing any damage doesn't impress me. Woodley will tune him up.

That CM Punk / Mike Jackson fight was fishy as hell. I realize Jackson isn't very good but Punk looked terrible and Jackson seemed way too content to coast to an easy win. Punk has heart but his skills are horrible and he just isn't very athletic.

Brutal finish by Blaydes. Murgliota should be suspended. Overeem ate AT LEAST two huge shots after he was clearly out. That's just irresponsible and terrible officiating.

Lastly, Rashad Evans, please retire.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
3rd round should've been 10-8 as well.
Disagree, Whittaker still had some nice licks on Romero.

At best this was 47-47, though I agree with the 48-47 decision.

The Covington 'victory' was a f***ing joke though. Colby did nothing of consequence IMO. RDA screwed up by being on the back foot the entire time, he needed to circle out around Colby more because when he did it was quite effective.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Whittaker 3 rounds to 2.

For those giving Yoel a 10-8 in round 5, then you probably have to give Rob a 10-8 in round 1. I mean Romero stood there for the entire round while Whittaker hit him at will.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Whittaker 3 rounds to 2.

For those giving Yoel a 10-8 in round 5, then you probably have to give Rob a 10-8 in round 1. I mean Romero stood there for the entire round while Whittaker hit him at will.
Romero was never hurt in round 1. Volume striking alone doesn't get someone a 10-8 round. Whitaker got dropped and was almost finished in round 5. HUGE difference.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
The main event is a classic round vs entire fight scoring debate. The decision was fair with the current system, but Romero took two rounds off and nearly finished him twice. As a whole it wasn't terribly close. I'm glad Whittaker got the decision though because otherwise you'd not only have a stalled division, you'd have a paper champ.

The Punk fight was tough to watch. He has no business being in the UFC. Kudos for the toughness/effort though.

I agreed with the Colby decision but I don't see him having anything for Woodley.

No surprise coming from that camp but Holly is a very smart fighter. That knee she ate in the first was huge.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
One thing is certain, Romero kicked Whitaker's ass. Unfortunately the UFC uses a scoring system that doesnt suit the sport. I still think Romero won on scoring but I suppose in that regard it was very close. I just wish the UFC used Pride scoring which is more accurate for a fight in my opinion and obviously Romero would have won under the Pride scoring system.

Reactions: Suxnet

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Colby was suffocating RDA, great fight and strategy. Don’t know how he’ll do vs Woolley but wow he was dominant

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Man. Curtis Blaydes with the brutal elbows to the head of Overeem.
I think they made a mistake putting that on the undercard; Blaydes is moving into legit contender territory for HW. Maybe give him the loser of Ngannou-Lewis next.

Reactions: Rob

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The main event was awesome. There might be some recency bias but I think that's one of the better fights so far this year. I had it 48-47 for Whittaker but you could definitely make a good case for a 10-8 for Romero. Whittaker breaking his hand in the first round makes the performance that much more impressive. It's time for these two to fight others now but I'd love to see a third fight down the road.

RDA vs. Covington was another close one and Covington did a great job to close it out in the final round. The sooner Woodley gets rid of him, the better. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for that fight.

Holm did her thing and was just on another level compared to Anderson. There's not much going on at either women's 135 or 145 and we already saw the Cyborg fight so I guess Nunes makes sense for Holm. Cyborg vs. Nunes is probably the fight to make though.

I thought Tuivasa did enough to beat Arlovski. They need younger fighters so that was a good result.

Not much to add on the Punk vs. Jackson fight. It was bad like we all expected it to be. Neither guy should be in the UFC.

Blaydes looked great. Overeem has pretty good takedown defense so I didn't expect it to play out that way. Those were some brutal elbows to finish it. He might only be one win away from a title shot now.

That wasn't a very impressive win for Claudia. I saw people talking about a title shot but she's clearly behind Andrade in that division. Maybe a rematch with Karolina makes sense, even though she beat her quickly the first time. This is the one women's division that actually has some intriguing fights.

I didn't see the Pettis vs. Benavidez fight but that's a big win for Pettis.

That should probably be it for Rashad. That's 5 straight losses now this was the worst one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad