GDT: UFC 223: Khabib vs. Iaquinta

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
After this one it would be lovely to see Rose against Andrade & Joanna against Valentina at 125.

Khabib wasn't impressive at all, won't last even round with McGregor. Not a fan of Connie at all, but his style would be nightmare against guy like Khabib who doesn't have any kind of idea about striking defense.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
IMO Ferguson has a better chance at beating Khabib that Conor since he has a better ground game and stronger Cardio, Mcgregor has a better chance at knocking Khabib out in the first or second round but doesn't have the ground game or takedown defense to stop khabib...nor the cardio when if it get to the later rounds.
One thing is clear, Conor has the best boxing in this division, and arguably overall standup and it's not really close IMO. But like you said, he doesn't have the cardio to go with it, so your latter scenario is very possible.

I think Max Holloway could pose a serious problem when he moves up. His standup game is very good and he's got an unlimited tank and great chin. If he shores up his TDD to a level where he can stuff even Khabib he has a real shot at becoming champ.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Connor is good at keeping distance but I must remind everyone that he pretty much got taken down at will by Mendes (before he gassed) who is not the wrestler that Khabib is.

Ferguson is excellent off of his back so I'd give him a much better shot (as well as being tricky as a striker.) The worry I have with him is that he may feel too reliant on his guard. If theres one thing Khabib has shown, he has little trouble passing anyones guard.

I think Connor learned from that fight, also the takedowns Khabib tried tonight were quite sloppy, unless he chases Connor around the cage and eats a few shots (Which could hurt him), he's not taking Connor down with those shots.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Look at how many takedowns Khabib failed tonight. GSP fought the top ranked fighters for years. Did you ever see him miss/force takedowns like that?

Before tonight, Khabib had a 43% takedown percentage in the UFC. GSP has a 74%. They're not even close. Khabib is good, but hes not GSP good.

percentage is such a poor way to explain why one has better wrestling than the other. Khabib is a chain wreslter. Chain wrestlers get their takedowns off 2nd-3rd-4th attempts. GSP's wrestling game is more based around timing take-downs as a counter from a striking exchange. The quality of GSP's wrestling is strongly linked to distance management striking and pure explosiveness.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Connor learned from that fight, also the takedowns Khabib tried tonight were quite sloppy, unless he chases Connor around the cage and eats a few shots (Which could hurt him), he's not taking Connor down with those shots.

Yet they worked against a guy who is much better versed at dealing with a wrestler.

Connor isn't some take down defense wizard. It's not something you can really improve on drastically in a few years to the point where you're going to be successful against someone who has been wrestling for their entire life.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
percentage is such a poor way to explain why one has better wrestling than the other. Khabib is a chain wreslter. Chain wrestlers get their takedowns off 2nd-3rd-4th attempts. GSP's wrestling game is more based around timing take-downs as a counter from a striking exchange. The quality of GSP's wrestling is strongly linked to distance management striking and pure explosiveness.
I mean he shot for the exact same single leg takedown like 6 or 7 times tonight. It wasn't exactly top quality stuff.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
I like Rogan but he didn't give Khabib any credit. That performance was dominant. Dana says he won't make the Ferguson fight again but who else? Conor won't be back for awhile.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Joanna is now on Rousey's level and is officially the least likeable fighter on the UFC roster

Reactions: LSCII

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I like Rogan but he didn't give Khabib any credit. That performance was dominant. Dana says he won't make the Ferguson fight again but who else? Conor won't be back for awhile.

I wasn't impressed by his commentating tonight

a) Khabib was busting up Al's face at will with those jabs!

b) Rogan is supposed to be an expert on striking, but it took him until the 4th or 5th round to realize Khabib stands straight up and leans back when pressured? He's been doing that the last couple of fights I've been watched of his

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Connor got taken down by a lesser wrestler.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Joanna is now on Rousey's level and is officially the least likeable fighter on the UFC roster

This is ridiculous, she went five round war against very good fighter who has stailor-made style against her. Eat dirty eyepoke and many hard shots. Still clearly best fighter ever seen on strawweight, until Rose proves that she is able to defend her belt against Andrade & Gadelha. Namajunas isn't very likeable herself.

Joanna could learn very much about her weaknesses from this fight, if she has right attitude & anyone saying that Joanna would be easy work for Valentina doesn't have any kind of idea what he is talking about.

Last edited:

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
I wasn't impressed by his commentating tonight

a) Khabib was busting up Al's face at will with those jabs!

b) Rogan is supposed to be an expert on striking, but it took him until the 4th or 5th round to realize Khabib stands straight up and leans back when pressured? He's been doing that the last couple of fights I've been watched of his

He definitely knows fighting but he's a salesman when it comes to the UFC. He'll say shit even he doesn't believe like Rousey could beat a man. Clearly just pulled for the underdog to make it sound like a closer fight but it doesn't help Khabib's hype going forward. He kicked the crap out of a lesser opponent like he was supposed to.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This is ridiculous, she went five round war against very good fighter who has stailor-made style against her. Eat dirty eyepoke and many hard shots. Still clearly best fighter ever seen on strawweight, until Rose proves that she is able to defend her belt against Andrade & Gadelha. Namajunas isn't very likeable herself.

Joanna could learn very much about her weaknesses from this fight, if she has right attitude & anyone saying that Joanna would be easy work for Valentina doesn't have any kind of idea what he is talking about.

You completely misunderstood what I meant

My comment was based on their personalities, not their fighting ability or legacy

And I strongly disagree with the bolded part. In a sport where most are yelling "Look at me! Look at me!", Rose just quietly goes about her business

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Says who? You? Her popularity is through the roof and the general fanbase loves her.

Exactly, i don't like fake persons at all. Her popularity is comparable to other female fighters & general fanbase likes her because she was only one able to break code of JJ. It is what it is, but don't be surprised after Andrade destroys her inside one round. I will make very big money with that fight.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
You completely misunderstood what I meant

My comment was based on their personalities, not their fighting ability or l;egacy

And I strongly disagree with the bolded part. In a sport where most are yelling "Look at me! Look at me!", Rose just quietly goes about her business

Well everyone has rights for their option & maybe i am little bit biased about the situation.

Rose acts like kind girl but also talks shit soon as the opportunity comes and does dirty tricks on octagon. Joanna does all of that but she does it straight in your face. While Rose loves to talk shit behind her back in interviews and stuff like that. Still hats off for her about breaking code of JJ.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Ya I dunno why she was whining about that decision. I thought it was 2-2 and very hard to guess going into the 5th round...

... But she got killed the 5th round.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lol @ Khabib's give 30 min rest and a drink of water and I'll go again.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Rose dominated JJ again. I thought she may have gotten caught/hurt in the 3rd because that seemed to be the only time she noticeably went backward but I certainly could be wrong.

Khabib is an absolute beast. He's one of the very few fighters where you watch him and you really feel like you're seeing something special. I really hope he gets Conor next, he will embarrass him.
Khabib wasn't impressive at all, won't last even round with McGregor. Not a fan of Connie at all, but his style would be nightmare against guy like Khabib who doesn't have any kind of idea about striking defense.
Mendes owned Conor until he gassed. Khabib will do whatever he wants with him.

Looking at the scoring of the Rose Joanna fight. Each judge had Rose winning 4-1 but each also had Joanna winning different rounds.
Very odd. A round or two were close but if memory serves me correctly the only round you'd have to give JJ was 3.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Mendes owned Conor until he gassed. Khabib will do whatever he wants with him.

Conor is nowadays different kind of animal than what he was against Mendes. Eddie Alvarez would smash Mendes.

He will keep fight at the center of the octagon, dominate with striking and Khabib will look like an amateur. Conor takedown defense > Khabib striking defense.

Not a fan of him at all, but after this fight it's really hard to see Khabib beating him. His stand-up is awful & that left hand would be way too much for him. I don't really see fight lasting over minute. Conor knocked Jose Aldo out with one punch for f***'s sake.

Last edited:

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Agree to disagree I guess. Conor has huge power in that left hand no doubt, but he's decent at best on the ground. Khabib could toy with him there. Khabib stands too much occasionally with guys he's not worried about. He won't entertain Conor with that. He'll ragdoll and submit him.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Agree to disagree I guess. Conor has huge power in that left hand no doubt, but he's decent at best on the ground. Khabib could toy with him there. Khabib stands too much occasionally with guys he's not worried about. He won't entertain Conor with that. He'll ragdoll and submit him.

Fight starts at standing and it will be over before Khabib gets him down. He has to go for takedown straight from beginning and Conor knows it. I hope your right, but don't really see it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->