GDT: UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Cyborg fight went as expected. Nothing even remotely interesting about seeing her maul another 135 lb fighter, who had no business being in there.

Great performance by Ortega. I'm not surprised he won but I didn't see that coming. Really looking forward to seeing him against Holloway next. Have to feel for Frankie a bit because he had the next title shot but still took this fight in order to stay on the card and now it's gone.

It's still too early to say how good O'Malley is but he's fun to watch and appears to have a lot of potential. Hopefully that injury doesn't end up being too serious. That was some terrible fight IQ on display by Soukhamthath. Why would you keep taking him down when he clearly can't stay standing and move around? A win by TKO/doctor's stoppage was there for Soukhamthath and he refused to take it.

Arlovski/Struve was bad. They should've gone with a running clock during those fouls to speed things up.

Vieira/Zingano wasn't very entertaining either but that's two pretty big wins in a row for Vieira. Zingano looked rusty early on, which isn't too surprising after two years off.

Reactions: td_ice

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Cyborg fights are like DJ fights. I'll keep watching them just for that "HOLY SHIT!" moment if/when they eventually lose like when Holm headkicked Rousey into an early retirement. But they are boring. Fights are entertaining because you don't really know the outcome until you see it go down. With those 2, you know who's going to win. Unless DJ fights TJ or Cyborg fights a man, I'm just not that interested.

I feel for Frankie. He didn't have to take that fight and now he lost his title shot. That's why everyone loves and respects Frankie, though.

As much as I like Frankie, I must admit, I kind of like that Ortega won. I think he's a more interesting matchup for Holloway. He has the size, power, and BJJ that will be a challenge for Max. Not that Frankie wouldn't be a challenge, but there's multiple ways Ortega could win. I think Frankie's only chance against Max would be in a decision.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I hope this loss pushes Edgar down to 135, where he would only be one fight away from a title shot. Edgar v either Cruz or Garbrandt would be a great fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I hope this loss pushes Edgar down to 135, where he would only be one fight away from a title shot. Edgar v either Cruz or Garbrandt would be a great fight.
Agreed, but that just seems so weird. He was the lightweight champ at one point. It seems like guys usually go up in weight as they become older.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed, but that just seems so weird. He was the lightweight champ at one point. It seems like guys usually go up in weight as they become older.

He was always a tiny guy at 155. The UFC didn't have the 145lb class until 2011, otherwise I'm sure he would have been there sooner.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
at 36 years old, it might be too late for Frankie to make a new run at 135 lbs, especially coming off his first KO loss and that bantamweight has weirdly become the lighter weight's premiere puncher division, which is absolutely wack since it's adjacent to Flyweight aka the division for fleet-footed athletes.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
at 36 years old, it might be too late for Frankie to make a new run at 135 lbs, especially coming off his first KO loss and that bantamweight has weirdly become the lighter weight's premiere puncher division, which is absolutely wack since it's adjacent to Flyweight aka the division for fleet-footed athletes.

I'd love to see Edgar vs Dillashaw

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

He wouldn't really have to go on a "run" though - just win one fight over someone like Assuncao and he'll get a title fight. I'm sure the UFC would be fine throwing him an easier path to the title based on his name cache & how he missed out on this recent title fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->