GDT: UFC 219: Cyborg vs. Holm

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
How many times has Khabib actually failed to make weight or gotten hurt and had to pull out? I feel like that aspect is being overplayed. I am pretty sure he has a better record at making scheduled it to fights than Aldo, for example.

I don't know if there's an easy way to look this up. Here's what I can remember, I'll look up the cards to match them up:

-Didn't make weight vs Trujillo (UFC 160, May 2013)
-Pulled out via injury vs Ferguson (TUF Finale Dec 2015). I believe a rematch was scheduled and then Ferguson got hurt.
-Pulled out via weight vs Ferguson (UFC 209, March 2017)

Might be more, that's all I got.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Why would it be to my chagrin? I want them to fight because I'm very confident McGregor will beat Khabib and shut all the Khabib mouth breathers up once and for all. FWIW, I don't mean all his fans, but rather the subset of people who are really anti McGregor more so than actual fans of Khabib and are only propping Khabib up as the latest guy that will shut McGregor up.

I had misread one of your posts above. I thought you said Khabib wasn't next in line to fight Tony if he doesn't fight Conor.

He'll need an Aldo-KO if he's going to beat Khabib, which isn't impossible. Wearing him down with body kicks has already been proven futile so I would expect Conor throwing bombs right out of the gate, praying to connect. If Khabib gets Conor against the fence, game over.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Dana talks bollocks. He won't defend his belt until 2019 and will still continue as a champion. No respect for Notorious. He is far away from real fighter. Ronda defended her belt 5 times. That's something what earns my respect. Just to point out the difference between actor & real fighter.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Dana talks bollocks. He won't defend his belt until 2019 and will still continue as a champion. No respect for Notorious. He is far away from real fighter. Ronda defended her belt 5 times. That's something what earns my respect. Just to point out the difference between actor & real fighter.
Lol. No. Ronda has been exposed. McGregor has beaten some of the most established fighters of all-time. Ronda won't ever fight again now that women's MMA is actually good. Ridiculous comparison.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Lol. No. Ronda has been exposed. McGregor has beaten some of the most established fighters of all-time. Ronda won't ever fight again now that women's MMA is actually good. Ridiculous comparison.

She was still real champion and wasn't scared to defend her belt that makes huge difference. McGregor has beaten way smaller guys out of their prime and now he is scared to defend the belt against guys his size. Also 2-2 in his last 4 fights. He is just a hype job. Ronda was for real.

Last edited:

member 51464

I don't know if there's an easy way to look this up. Here's what I can remember, I'll look up the cards to match them up:

-Didn't make weight vs Trujillo (UFC 160, May 2013)
-Pulled out via injury vs Ferguson (TUF Finale Dec 2015). I believe a rematch was scheduled and then Ferguson got hurt.
-Pulled out via weight vs Ferguson (UFC 209, March 2017)

Might be more, that's all I got.
Those were what came to mind to me as well. I figure it is reasonable to call the injury a wash since then the same thing happened with Ferguson.

So we have two bad cuts in about four years.

I tried to find more, and while this post is a few years out of date, it is an interesting look:
Which fighters have pulled out of the most fights?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
She was still real champion and wasn't scared to defend her belt that makes huge difference. McGregor has beaten way smaller guys out of their prime and now he is scared to defend the belt against guys his size. Also 2-2 in his last 4 fights. He is just a hype job. Ronda was for real.

If you call that out about McGregor, what does it say about Khabib? You know, given he drops over 50 lbs just to make weight for the LW division...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Those were what came to mind to me as well. I figure it is reasonable to call the injury a wash since then the same thing happened with Ferguson.

So we have two bad cuts in about four years.

I tried to find more, and while this post is a few years out of date, it is an interesting look:
Which fighters have pulled out of the most fights?

Khabib pulled out of more fights due to injury than the Ferguson one. He bagged out of one against Cerrone at UFC 187, and that's after he was originally supposed to face cowboy at 178, which he also withdrew from because of injury. I'm sure there are other examples too, but those are what I recall off the top of my head.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

This is essentially just making things up.

Who are the "way smaller guys out of their prime" McGregor has beaten? Even the 145ers he beat (Aldo, Mendes, Poirier, Holloway) were fairly big guys. Diaz is a big guy, at least compared to a natural 155lb guy in McGregor.

There's a difference between being "scared to defend" and a guy having so much money he doesn't need to offend. It would be like ripping on a guy for not going back to work after he won the lottery.

Reactions: td_ice

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Not sure i'd ever have Ronda Rousey as a Real Fighter comparison to McGregor. As much I don't like Connor not defending belts and all, I'll always respect the fact he isn't afraid to face tough challenges and has rebounded from losses, unlike Rousey who simply folded from fighting when she wasn't winning.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Something has got to give with Conor soon. Tony is not going to fight Khabib if Conor is still on the table and I don't blame him. So they either need to make Conor vs. Tony (which is the fight that SHOULD happen) or strip Conor, make Tony the undisputed champ, and make Tony vs. Khabib. I don't think the UFC should cave to Khabib's schedule with Ramadan, but just the way the timing has fallen to this point, there should be an undisputed lightweight champion before that anyway. One way or another.

And I will say, I have no idea who would win between Conor-Tony-Khabib. They all have their strength. Conor with boxing. Tony with BJJ. Khabib with wrestling. I feel like most people that have a strong opinion one way or another is biased. Any of those guys could beat the others and I'd like to see them all fight each other eventually.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
This is essentially just making things up.

Who are the "way smaller guys out of their prime" McGregor has beaten? Even the 145ers he beat (Aldo, Mendes, Poirier, Holloway) were fairly big guys. Diaz is a big guy, at least compared to a natural 155lb guy in McGregor.

There's a difference between being "scared to defend" and a guy having so much money he doesn't need to offend. It would be like ripping on a guy for not going back to work after he won the lottery.

Diaz and McGregor are almost same size. Aldo, Mendes, Poirier & Holloway are smaller guys. Size difference between Diaz & McGregor is smaller than difference between McNuggets and 145 division. As you can see from his fights against Diaz he needs that reach advantage to play his game.

Only problem in the situation that he is still the champion. He won the belt over 400 days ago, 0 defenses and still champion. He ruins the rest of division.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Not sure i'd ever have Ronda Rousey as a Real Fighter comparison to McGregor. As much I don't like Connor not defending belts and all, I'll always respect the fact he isn't afraid to face tough challenges and has rebounded from losses, unlike Rousey who simply folded from fighting when she wasn't winning.

Yes McGregor rebounded from Diaz but we don't know how he does with Floyd. All that talk about boxing and got totally destroyed by 40 year old man. He simply believed way too much for himself and had hard time after loss. So much excuses after fight.

Next fight is very critical for his career. If he loses that one it really hurts his imago. That is big factor why McNuggets is so scared to defend. Rousey folded from fighting, but who f***ing cares? She wasn't never scared to defend the belt. Had great career before her fight against Holm. It's harder to keep the belt than become the champion. Rousey was defending her belt twice per year. That's something we won't never see from Conor. Real Champion is better comparison/term.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Diaz and McGregor are almost same size. Aldo, Mendes, Poirier & Holloway are smaller guys. Size difference between Diaz & McGregor is smaller than difference between McNuggets and 145 division. As you can see from his fights against Diaz he needs that reach advantage to play his game.

Only problem in the situation that he is still the champion. He won the belt over 400 days ago, 0 defenses and still champion. He ruins the rest of division.

You are correct that "the only problem" is that he's still the champ. That needs to get fixed.

The weight stuff is complete fiction by you.

Reactions: 1specter and td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad