GDT: UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
UFC is a joke!!! CM Punk had no business being there!!! PRIDE was so much better!!!

Ahh the good ole days of fixing fights, paying gaijin fighters to take dives, and the yakuza pressuring the bookers. I kind of miss those crazy freak show fights and the NJPW guys taking beatings just to prove their fighting spirit to Inoki.
/sarcasm

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
PRIDE was exciting but also known for freak show fights. Come on now.

thatsthejoke.jpg

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
What I don't like is how they're shipping punk out now. I get it, he probably isn't a UFC fighter, but he wasn't when he got his first fight either. Give him one more imo. Seeing how much of a tool Dana is though I don't see that happening.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
What I don't like is how they're shipping punk out now. I get it, he probably isn't a UFC fighter, but he wasn't when he got his first fight either. Give him one more imo. Seeing how much of a tool Dana is though I don't see that happening.

Respectfully disagree, given how he lost and how bad he looked doing it. If he had landed some shots, lasted a round, and showed people that he isn't as bad as everyone thought he was going to be, I'm sure he would have gotten another shot. Unfortunately, his worst nightmare came true.

Bringing Punk in was definitely a cash grab, but it brought an element of curiosity. If they were to bring him back once more, it would be a 110% mockery.

I think Punk would be best served fighting for the likes of XFO, Titan or Victory, which all air on Fight Pass. There he can go up against similar calibre fighters, and the UFC could still promote it and make money of subscriptions.

member 51464

Hopefully Gall has some decent skill to at least hang out a few years. He seems like one that'd be fun to hate.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
People don't understand how business works. Make yourself valuable to the company you work for. Make them money. It's not always about whose the best at something.

Demanding more money is also "how business works" when it comes to making more money. It isn't just volunteered.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

It's like throwing you into the NHL, seeing you get abused, and going, "Yea, but I'm sure he'll do fine if we scratch him for a week and put him out there again."

He needs to fight in a regional show or something.

member 51464

A regional fight against a newbie outfighter seems liike it'd at least give him a shot to go a full round.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Luke Thomas analyzed the Gall/Punk fight if anyone wants to see a step by step breakdown of just how badly Punk was outclassed. BJJ was supposed to be the one thing Punk had some experience in too. Starts around the 11:15 mark.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Demanding more money is also "how business works" when it comes to making more money. It isn't just volunteered.

Sorry - I replied but then realized I really don't want to get in a fighter pay discussion. But yes, guys need to fight for themselves to get money.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Luke Thomas analyzed the Gall/Punk fight if anyone wants to see a step by step breakdown of just how badly Punk was outclassed. BJJ was supposed to be the one thing Punk had some experience in too. Starts around the 11:15 mark.

A one-stripe white belt going up a brown belt is going to end the same way 10 times out of 10. I was more curious to see if he had any decent wrestling but judging by that double leg, that was a fast 'Noooope".

member 51464

One thing I think that video does a good job of showing is just how little chance Punk was ever going to have against an even decent grappler. If you stand and trade, maybe you get lucky, though he was likely to get picked apart that way as well. Once you are on the ground, the game just moves too fast. It is like dropping someone who has never skated into an NHL game. Even if they conceptually understand the fundamentals, it is going to go way too fast with too many moving parts.Oh well.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

Great sharing ... tks.

poor:sarcasm: Punk. It looked bad ... with a decent analysis it looks worse ....

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Just saw the Werdum/Browne fight, man is Edmond a loser. One of MMA's worst coaches and a wannabe tough guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad