Value of: UFAs from the Devils

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I still hope the Devils can fight for the playoff spot, but if I'm a realistic, it's pretty unlikely. The Devils are probably going to sell some of their veterans, though Fitzy may want to keep Murray if he plays as well as before the COVID-break. Or even Palmieri.

These guys are all UFAs after this season, except Bucher who has one extra year.

Kyle Palmieri ($ 4,6 M)
Nikita Gusev ($ 4,5 M)
Travis Zajac ($ 5,75 M, NTC)
Ryan Murray ($ 4,6 M)
Dmitry Kulikov ($ 1,15 M)
Sami Vatanen ($ 2 M)
Will Butcher ($ 3,733 M + 1 extra year)

The Devils can retain some salary, and they want picks, prospects and youngish players.

So what's your offer?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Palms would be a good winger for Barzal. But NYI doesn't have much to trade without completely dismantling the future and I'm not sure if they'd be able to find the space to re-sign him.

Oh well.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I still hope the Devils can fight for the playoff spot, but if I'm a realistic, it's pretty unlikely. The Devils are probably going to sell some of their veterans, though Fitzy may want to keep Murray if he plays as well as before the COVID-break. Or even Palmieri.

These guys are all UFAs after this season, except Bucher who has one extra year.

Kyle Palmieri ($ 4,6 M)
Nikita Gusev ($ 4,5 M)
Travis Zajac ($ 5,75 M, NTC)
Ryan Murray ($ 4,6 M)
Dmitry Kulikov ($ 1,15 M)
Sami Vatanen ($ 2 M)
Will Butcher ($ 3,733 M + 1 extra year)

The Devils can retain some salary, and they want picks, prospects and youngish players.

So what's your offer?

We should be keeping the defensemen and trying to re-sign them. Murray can be a top4 for the Devils going forward and Kulikov-Vatanen can hold down the bottom pairing until the organization can develop replacements. Butcher can go and should...he could find decent opportunities elsewhere.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Palmieri: Personally wouldn't mind extending him. Trade comp might be similar to what Tyler Toffoli got last year (Tyler Madden + 2nd rounder).

Gusev: Personally not a huge fan and I don't know how many playoff teams where he'd crack somebody's top six. Maybe there's a team who would be interested in extending him since he doesn't need to be protected for Seattle.

Zajac: We'd probably need to eat a sizable chunk of the cap hit. Plus we'll see if Zajac is interested in moving. We got a late 2nd for Brian Boyle a couple deadlines ago, so maybe something in that ballpark.

Vatanen: Probably similar to last deadline, late 2nd or comparable prospect (Kuokkanen)

Murray/Kulikov: Maybe a third/fourth rounder (Demelo/Lovejoy territory). Wouldn't mind extending Murray depending on his asking price.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Think Gusev could be a nice fit in Pittsburgh with Zucker injured

Not sure what the cost would be, but wouldn’t be interested for much more than a 2nd rounder in terms of picks

Have some spare LD if that makes more sense

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Has he been that bad? I know the stats aren’t great

Would be looking at him as a third wheel to Malkin/Rust and as a shooter in the Ovi/Kesssel spot on the powerplay

He didn't start the season great (the same like in the last season), and now he plays with someone like Zajac, so chances for getting on the scoring sheet aren't that great.

Reactions: TySmith4Norris

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
How has Murray been? What do you think his next contract looks like? I assume a health over the course of this season will have a big influence on that.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Has he been that bad? I know the stats aren’t great

Would be looking at him as a third wheel to Malkin/Rust and as a shooter in the Ovi/Kesssel spot on the powerplay

Yeah, he has been this year. I know he scored a bunch of points last year so with Malkin and Rust, who knows, maybe it works. He's a very unorthodox player, and honestly if you just watch a shift or two you wouldn't think he's an NHL caliber hockey player.

Maybe he just needs to be on a line where other guys can do the heavy lifting. He's brutal in transition, but last year at least he could score. This year, not so much.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I hope the Devils keep Murray and Kulikov. Vatanen id keep as well if he can regain his form from last year.

The rest can go. Palms is too streaky and isn’t doing much at all if he doesn’t score.
An ideal replacement for Palms would be someone like Burakovsky. Young(ish) winger with a shot first mentality.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What's the ask for Zajac (50% retained)?
the ask probably starts at zajac's end. rumor is he was approached last season by fitz, if he would welcome a trade. he wasn't traded. maybe the right offer was missing or he decided to stay with his only nhl team. from the outside there seems to be a lot of mutual respect. so i think any trade would be with the consent of zajac.

the devils organizational need is rhd. so the ask is makar and you add from there. :sarcasm:

i haven't followed timmins lately, but there was some discussion about him last season, when hall was on the market. seems like colorado fans have been more willing to discuss him in trade proposals, but i fear his value is still higher than rental zajac. helleson would be a name generating a lot of interest, but his hot sophomore season push him probably out of the price range.
green generated a 2nd round pick. colorado's 2nd most likely would have been a late one, but isn't available for the next two drafts. late third is not a sexy return. i am not sure, if colorado is the dance partner.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Gusev is off to a slow start like a lot of players time will tell with him it could be the system....I think he would be a good pick up for Pittsburgh imo....He got some garbage points lately hopefully that gets him going.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Gusev has the highest skill set but is not fast and he is not getting opportunities on lines with high skilled players

Palms is a strict shooter. That’s how he scores 30 goals in a season. He will always shoot even if a cross seam or back door play is open, he is taking the shot. Gusev is the opposite - he tries to make those passes or force them at times. He has a decent shot when he uses it.

palms pros:
Shooting
Speed
Physical

cons:
Vision
Creativity

Gusev pros:
Vision
Creativity
Playmaking

cons:
Speed
Physical

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
the ask probably starts at zajac's end. rumor is he was approached last season by fitz, if he would welcome a trade. he wasn't traded. maybe the right offer was missing or he decided to stay with his only nhl team. from the outside there seems to be a lot of mutual respect. so i think any trade would be with the consent of zajac.

the devils organizational need is rhd. so the ask is makar and you add from there. :sarcasm:

i haven't followed timmins lately, but there was some discussion about him last season, when hall was on the market. seems like colorado fans have been more willing to discuss him in trade proposals, but i fear his value is still higher than rental zajac. helleson would be a name generating a lot of interest, but his hot sophomore season push him probably out of the price range.
green generated a 2nd round pick. colorado's 2nd most likely would have been a late one, but isn't available for the next two drafts. late third is not a sexy return. i am not sure, if colorado is the dance partner.
Does it have to be a RHD? Avs have some forwards that might work too, like Beaucage for example.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I think what makes matter worse with Gusev, other than the slow start in terms of production is that he's also bad defensively on NHL level. At this point, I'd be amazed with a 2nd round pick but I think the fair price would be something along 3rd round pick.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Palmieri: Personally wouldn't mind extending him. Trade comp might be similar to what Tyler Toffoli got last year (Tyler Madden + 2nd rounder).

Gusev: Personally not a huge fan and I don't know how many playoff teams where he'd crack somebody's top six. Maybe there's a team who would be interested in extending him since he doesn't need to be protected for Seattle.

Zajac: We'd probably need to eat a sizable chunk of the cap hit. Plus we'll see if Zajac is interested in moving. We got a late 2nd for Brian Boyle a couple deadlines ago, so maybe something in that ballpark.

Vatanen: Probably similar to last deadline, late 2nd or comparable prospect (Kuokkanen)

Murray/Kulikov: Maybe a third/fourth rounder (Demelo/Lovejoy territory). Wouldn't mind extending Murray depending on his asking price.
This is pretty fair estimation of their value. But I wonder is Murray closer to Greene than Lovejoy? If he is, I wouldn't be surprised if someone offers a 2nd rounder for him.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I have no hopes for the returns for any of those players at this moment. Don't love the idea of just trading them for anything because I want the young players surrounding them to develop playing with vets and the team to not get caved in every night the rest of the year.

Reactions: Smitty426

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I have no hopes for the returns for any of those players at this moment. Don't love the idea of just trading them for anything because I want the young players surrounding them to develop playing with vets and the team to not get caved in every night the rest of the year.
This!
Damon Severson and Pavel Zacha can't be the "vets" on this team!
Palms won't be alot to sign as hes home, covid, cap crunch. As long as he does not want some stupid term/cap
I say keep Goose too but that's just me.
Zajac can be returned and go play for lou lams for something

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
We should be keeping the defensemen and trying to re-sign them. Murray can be a top4 for the Devils going forward and Kulikov-Vatanen can hold down the bottom pairing until the organization can develop replacements. Butcher can go and should...he could find decent opportunities elsewhere.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind if Fitzy tries to re-sign Murray and Kulikov or Vatanen. Of course it would be better if he can trade someone better than Kulikov or Vatanen, or some of our prospects can play in the NHL next season, but they are still good options.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Think Gusev could be a nice fit in Pittsburgh with Zucker injured

Not sure what the cost would be, but wouldn’t be interested for much more than a 2nd rounder in terms of picks

Have some spare LD if that makes more sense
I expect Gusev to get moved for a 2nd. Could boost value if he starts contributing on the stat sheet, but I don't see it with how the roster is constructed. Every single forward outside of Palms has a below average shot....and Gusev needs shooters to flourish.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
I expect Gusev to get moved for a 2nd. Could boost value if he starts contributing on the stat sheet, but I don't see it with how the roster is constructed. Every single forward outside of Palms has a below average shot....and Gusev needs shooters to flourish.

I think something like:

To NJ: Riikola and 2021 2nd

To PIT: Gusev (50% retained) and a 2021 4th

Could make a lot of sense for both sides, especially if Jersey is moving out UFA defensemen

Ideally Pittsburgh could move out a body if they’re adding a roster player and Riikola deserves a chance to play somewhere, he’s a solid #6

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I think something like:

To NJ: Riikola and 2021 2nd

To PIT: Gusev (50% retained) and a 2021 4th

Could make a lot of sense for both sides, especially if Jersey is moving out UFA defensemen

Ideally Pittsburgh could move out a body if they’re adding a roster player and Riikola deserves a chance to play somewhere, he’s a solid #6
Probably just 2nd straight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad