UFAs and RFAs - question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Of all the NHLPA players, only 325 have contracts for the 2005-2006 season, 99 for 2006-2007, and 24 for 2007-2008. The rest are RFAs and UFAs (assuming a lost year is a lost contract year)

When a player is between contracts, or about to retire, how is he bound to the NHLPA?

Martin St-Louis? NHLPA member or not? Ex: If we had hockey, and St-Louis holds out for 2 years, is he a member for 2 years or only when he resigns?

Not clear how this works...

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I believe in cases of RFA and UFA's you are a member of the NHLPA. Even if you verbally retire you must complete the paperwork with the NHLPA to make it official. This is to ensure that players have the same legal protection (insurance and stuff) whether they are signed on with a team or not. I guess you are really out when you stop paying your union fees.

I think I remember hearing in an interview that Mike Bossy never filed his papers... I hear a comeback story waiting to happen.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
I was just wondering if these players would technically be crossing the picket line or not...I guess so(?)

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->