UFA for next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
What will happen to players whose contract expire at the end of this season, and under the old format, would have to be re-signed/qualified before July 1? Would they if fact, become UFA's? Also, what about the players drafted 2 years ago, who must be signed by June 1st, does there team lose their rights?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
No one really knows..

Hopefully it don't get to that point and an agreement is made..

If not, the new CBA will detail how that is all handled..

Conventional wisdom says that all players that are set to be UFA will be UFA like normal..

But I could see the PA or the NHL(depending on rollbacks and other such jargon) ask for the contracts that went by last year being revalidated as starting this year(basicly making all of last years contracts start this year) in the new CBA...

:dunno:

Its one of those issues that will be interesting to watch as this unfolds.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Mighty Duck said:
What will happen to players whose contract expire at the end of this season, and under the old format, would have to be re-signed/qualified before July 1? Would they if fact, become UFA's? Also, what about the players drafted 2 years ago, who must be signed by June 1st, does there team lose their rights?

UFA or business as normal(my best guess). Either way it gets sorted in the new CBA.

MattNJD

Oct 21, 2002
New Jersey
Mighty Duck said:

Two very good questions, the answers hopefully are closer than we know

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
might be a touchy situation as I'm quite sure there are owners/gm's who are quite happy that a year has been peeled off of some overpaid talent

OTOH , there might be some good talent lost as a result of the same consequence

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Lots of questions, many of which will only be answered when a new cba is agreed to.

What if the ufa age goes down? There could be a flood of free agents. And with all the younger cheaper players who have been honing their games in the minors/college/junior alot of NHLPA types could be squeezed out.

And how will players who would have become eligible for arbitration be handled? What is 'market value' right now?

Rosters are going to look alot different when play resumes.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Mighty Duck said:

You answered your own question in the same sentence:

AND UNDER THE OLD FORMAT

Currently there is no CBA in place which means teams are not permitted to sign players, as was pointed out before, the NHL will have all of the small details included in the new CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad