Speculation: 2024 Off-season Discussion

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Going from an owner who was trying to be miserly to an owner who will want to be competitive immediately, I think you guys are gonna make a big splash in the UFA market this season. That and trading your surplus of 2nd Rd picks to get good value win-now players.

This feels like the kind of team that'll go for a Stamkos. I wanted to start a thread to discuss potential UFA gets.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Going from an owner who was trying to be miserly to an owner who will want to be competitive immediately, I think you guys are gonna make a big splash in the UFA market this season. That and trading your surplus of 2nd Rd picks to get good value win-now players.

This feels like the kind of team that'll go for a Stamkos. I wanted to start a thread to discuss potential UFA gets.

We need centers. But Marchessault or Necas feels much more acquirable and likely to me

Reactions: Summer Rose

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Could see more in the line of Sam Reinhart or Jake Guentzel as UFA wingers to look at signing, or at center, Elias Lindholm or Sean Monahan.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
small splash might be better. i remember pegula in buffalo trying to splash with leino & ehrhoff, guys like trevor lewis, motte, trenin & zadorov might be better ufa targets. guys that play that right way that will support keller, guenther, cooley & doan

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

While I do expect a couple of big UFA signings, I don't think the Coyotes were $10 mil below the cap because AM is cheap. Rebuilding is a process that takes many seasons to play out. Spending big too early can be counterproductive to the rebuild. Need to wait until top prospects have reached the point where the team will benefit from an infusion of veteran talent.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Wonder if we go after Granlund. High production and SJS doesn't have any retention slots open. We could fit him in without problems

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think if BA can stick to the rebuild add some good D in FA as well as some scoring talent with out trading the core we could be a bubble team fighting for a WC spot

If you look at that game against Edmonton.. it wasn’t our best game … but it was the only game in months where our D were never caught up ice and never allowed off man rushes.. play like that during that 14 game losing streak and we likely win 8 of those.

Our goalies also cant seem to stop an odd man rush either.. they are better at breakaways.

We need someone who can win a faceoff

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Crouse Bugstad Macelli
Guenther Cooley Doan
Carcone Kerfoot LOB

Only LOB is UFA
Possible trades are Hayton, Carcone, Schmaltz, I think ..

Last edited:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Wonder if we go after Granlund. High production and SJS doesn't have any retention slots open. We could fit him in without problems
As a sharks fan and now Utah fan, I would love this for both teams. Granlund was one of the few bright spots for the Sharks this season

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I was wondering if any of the current players who might not want to be in Utah, might be traded over the next month or so, to give them enough time to get their families settled. I know it's tougher to trade with half the teams unable to during the playoffs. But, as teams get eliminated, they might be interested.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I was wondering if any of the current players who might not want to be in Utah, might be traded over the next month or so, to give them enough time to get their families settled. I know it's tougher to trade with half the teams unable to during the playoffs. But, as teams get eliminated, they might be interested.

It'll be interesting to see to me in particular just "before the draft" in general. I'd like to think, and certainly hope, that Ryan Smith believes in what Bill Armstrong is building and doesn't meddle too much. It'll be more interesting to see what the team does in free agency.

On an unrelated note, @Headshot77 do you mind if we re-name this to the general off-season thread?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
It'll be interesting to see to me in particular just "before the draft" in general. I'd like to think, and certainly hope, that Ryan Smith believes in what Bill Armstrong is building and doesn't meddle too much. It'll be more interesting to see what the team does in free agency.

On an unrelated note, @Headshot77 do you mind if we re-name this to the general off-season thread?
No problem with that!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think they’re excited.

Last edited:

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
as far as I know, it's perfectly possible for Teams in the POs to trade, but the acquired players wont be eligible. I understand the point though, other than draft picks, Teams still in the playoffs will not engage in trades, especially giving up players

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I don’t think it’s hers going to happen. I think they’re excited.
I think so, too. Having an actual NHL-sized arena, and an owner who's looking forward to spending $$$ on the team, will make them excited to get on the ice again. Plus, the people of Utah seem enthusiastic about supporting the team. Not that Yotes fans weren't. We are! But, right now, it seems like night & day between the two cities.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Just going through CapFriendly with everyone on our NHL roster as of today and would like to have an opinion about each one of them.

Clayton Keller - core piece. Keep, obviously.
Nick Schmaltz - wouldn't mind shopping him, but moving him is not high on my list of priorities this off-season.
Lawson Crouse - core piece, definitely a "heart and soul" type player. Definitely keep.
Alex Kerfoot - not a "core" piece but I don't exactly want to trade him.
Matias Maccelli - we'd be insane to try moving him.
Nick Bjugstad - good guy to have on the team. Keep.
Barrett Hayton - wouldn't mind moving on from him, but his value isn't high so we might as well keep him.
Logan Cooley - also would be insane to try moving him.
Liam O'Brien - players of his type are a dime a dozen. Let him walk.
Michael Carcone - for his salary we might as well keep him too.
Sean Durzi - loved him on the team this year. Bring him back!
Josh Brown - I'm sure he could be had back for the right price.
Juuso Valimaki - serviceable, might as well re-sign him since he's an RFA.
JJ Moser - we need more of this kind of defenseman, not fewer.
Travis Dermott - I'd miss him very, very slightly... that said we need upgrades on D, so we should let him walk.
Karel Vejmelka - I would love to upgrade on him. Maybe we could trade him off to someone who thinks of him as a reclamation project.
Connor Ingram - why on earth would we give up on him at all?

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
My 3 cents:

Clayton Keller - Keep for the Core.
Nick Schmaltz - Good guy. Has 1 year left on his contract, I think. Keep him until close to Trade Deadline, then, see if somebody wants to overpay. If not, re-sign him.
Lawson Crouse - My favorite 'Yote. Keep him!
Alex Kerfoot - Another decent player. Deadline deal unless he does more than expected.
Matias Maccelli - Part of the Core.
Nick Bjugstad - Fantastic leader for the young guys. Keep him.
Barrett Hayton - Wasn't much on drafting him to begin with. Maybe he kicks it up a notch, but, trade him if he doesn't.
Logan Cooley - Core, baby!
Liam O'Brien - I like these type of guys. Glove dropper, shit disturber. Protects his mates. Find out what he sees his role as, then, decide accordingly.
Michael Carcone - Good soldier. Seems to know his role well. Keep him.
Sean Durzi - Needs to beef up his defense a bit, but, a good player. Keep.
Josh Brown - Another guy I root for. Every team needs tough guys. Keep him if he wants to stay.
Juuso Valimaki - Decent D-man. Could get better with this team. Keep.
JJ Moser - Great player. Can get even better. Keep him.
Travis Dermott - Has good shifts and bad shifts. See if another team wants him for a pick or two.
Karel Vejmelka - Good goalie, but, kinda lost his way this year. Could bounce back with another team.
Connor Ingram - One of the best waiver pickups this year. Plus, he's looking forward to playing in SLC. Keep the man!

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

I heard an interview on NHL network that he wants to be very hands on.. Friedman mentioned that he may add to the front office as well

I just hope none of this affects what BA is doing nor causes BA to want to leave

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Keep everyone from that list except O’Brien, Brown, Dermott, and Vejmelka.

We need at least two top-four D and a backup goalie. Another centre wouldn’t hurt either. Of course if we win Celebrini that changes the equation.

rt

May 13, 2004
Vegas is gonna have cap trouble. I’d love to trade them some picks (a pair of 2nds and a 3rd or two?) for Nicolas Roy and Zach Whitecloud. Add cheap two-way contracts like Jenik and Soderstrom.

Then go overpay a couple of solid vet UFAs like Brady Skjei and one of Sam Lafferty or Dakota Joshua (assuming Vancouver can’t keep both).

Skjei, Whitecloud, Roy and Joshua would be a very nice way to add some guts and backbone to this squad.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I'm predicting Geekie makes the team. That'll be 13 forwards.
And from my calculations: 13F, 2D (with Moser and Durzi signings), 2G < $50M
Probably carry 8D
Moser
Durzi
Valimaki
Kolyachonok
Kesselring

Replace Brown and offer Zadorov, 4Ys/$15M. Overpaying for a #5D who brings toughness to the back end.

Like to reacquire Chychrun ( pair him back with Moser and find a LD to pair with Durzi), if not, Skjei in free agency, maybe reacquire Bahl if Zadorov won't sign. The organization can afford to sign 3 UFAs for D.
In a trade with the Sens, like to acquire Pinto & Chychrun for Lamoureux & Hayton with other details figured out @ the draft.

& if Whitecloud is available...

Replace Hayton with Elias Lindholm

Still have Weber's contract for 2 more seasons with plenty of cap space.

And with a little bit of luck, a lottery win!

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
How far out are Simashev and But?
They are in the KHL championship finals right now. They have one more season remaining on their KHL contracts. They may decide to come to the NHL as soon as the 2nd season in Utah. They are free sign extensions in Russia and stay longer. Coyotes beat writer Craig Morgan did attempt to brace Arizona fans for the possibility that they may sign 1-2yr extensions. I’d be fine with a 1yr extension. A 2yr extension would be a little disappointing.

Reactions: rams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad