Ansar Khan: ufa bernier's first choice is to re-sign with detroit

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's interesting how many of these vets (Ryan and Staal) have great things to say and don't mind sticking around this "loser" culture.

Of course the cynics will swiftly dismiss this as veterans trying to cash in on a team without better options, but whatever, it's just nice to see guys want to stay and keep building something despite the struggles.

“I lived it in Toronto and the one thing I regret is going through the pain and not being there when they’re better. That’s one of the reasons why I want to stay here. I finally see we’re getting better. We got some great, young guys. I can see we’re headed in the right direction, so I’d like to see the process towards the end.”

[...]

“The setup we have at the rink is amazing, the way they treat us, and great group of guys. That makes a big difference when you’re having fun at the rink. It’s not every team you feel comfortable with and for me I really like the group of guys here.

“I’m excited to see what next year brings.”

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
It's interesting how many of these vets (Ryan and Staal) have great things to say and don't mind sticking around this "loser" culture.

Of course the cynics will swiftly dismiss this as veterans trying to cash in on a team without better options

Both can be true. I ain't go nowhere else to go and if y'all want me I actually like what y'all are trying to do here.

In Bernier's case, I really don't mind based on the price tag.

Staal? What else is out there?
Bobby Ryan? What else is out there?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Both can be true. I ain't go nowhere else to go and if y'all want me I actually like what y'all are trying to do here.

In Bernier's case, I really don't mind based on the price tag.

Staal? What else is out there?
Bobby Ryan? What else is out there?

I won't split hairs over this, I'm just saying the resounding message from veteran guys who have been lots of other places is that despite all the losing, the vibe is good with the team and the players. This isn't Buffalo. And I give credit to the management and coaching staff for cultivating that.

Bernier in particular could try his luck elsewhere if he wasn't content to ride out this rebuild. But he's buying in and wants to stick it out. That's pretty cool.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I won't split hairs over this, I'm just saying the resounding message from veteran guys who have been lots of other places is that despite all the losing, the vibe is good with the team and the players. This isn't Buffalo. And I give credit to the management and coaching staff for cultivating that.

Bernier in particular could try his luck elsewhere if he wasn't content to ride out this rebuild. But he's buying in and wants to stick it out. That's pretty cool.
Additionally, it helps potentially lure UFAs/vets that wouldn't normally consider us as we're only ~60% done with the rebuild.

(technically a rebuild is never truly "complete", metaphorically speaking, unless a given team has all ELC: 12McDavid's, 8Lidstrom's, 2Hasek's & a Kocur.) Meaning every spot can be open for upgrades regardless where a team is in their life cycle/window.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
my feeling at the deadline was that yzerman didnt even shop burner or glenny as he / they intended all along to re-up . love it as these are great culture guys to be around to mentor

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Would love to keep Bernier. He’s been a real bright spot on this team.

Absolutely. Last year I was eager for a goalie upgrade for the next few seasons but I'm more than comfortable if Bernier remains the starter during our building years. If we end up with a promising young goalie prospect, Bernier will be at the right stage of his career to anchor that transition.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No problem with resigning him, but not if it is with a pay raise. Similar to current deal I am fine with.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
JB deserves every bit of $4M, ($1m raise) & 2yrs.

Guessing with mutual interest, this is a handshake deal til 7-21.

I'm not a fan of most goalies (historically speaking) b/c I think most do not live upto their contracts (post ELC). And/or too inconsistent. Lots of variables go into that, sure. I like the solid 1b/2a tandem vs. 1a/2a-b (too volatile).

Greiss' #'s have been very good the last ~20+gp, salvaged his season.

Wanted Halak for years while we had cash-cow Jimmah.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Would love to have him back, I’m thinking something along the lines of 2 years at 4mil per year?

Reactions: 14ari13

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That's why we still can attract big names coming up in FA the next few years. Wings are pure class and players know that. They wont be bad for very much longer

Well Yzerman does have a habit of going out and trying to land the big catch in the UFA pool. :sarcasm:

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Jonathan Bernier experienced a lot of losing the past three seasons with the Detroit Red Wings. Now he sees the team potentially turning a corner, and he wants to be here for better days.
“My family and I really like it here,” Bernier said. “I feel comfortable at the rink, on the ice, so it would be my No. 1 choice. I definitely would like to stay here.”
There is no reason why the Red Wings wouldn’t want to retain Bernier, an unrestricted free agent, if they can agree on a contract figure and term.
Bernier, who turns 33 on Aug. 7, has been the team’s most valuable player the past two seasons, with a combined record of 24-33-4, a 2.96 goals-against average and .909 save percentage.
Thomas Greiss had a strong finish and has one year remaining on his contract. The Red Wings have no other NHL-ready goalies under contract or in their system. If they don’t re-sign Bernier, they would need to sign for a veteran free agent or trade an asset for proven goalie. They know what they have in Bernier.
Bernier could seek to join a playoff-contending team, but he enjoys the challenge of playing on a rebuilding club. The Red Wings were headed that way when he signed a three-year, $9 million deal in 2018.
“When I signed, I didn’t see (Henrik) Zetterberg retiring that year, but I knew they were going to that (rebuilding) stage,” Bernier said. “It’s a great challenge, as a goalie especially, you can make that rebuild faster if you’re playing well and get some wins.
“I lived it in Toronto and the one thing I regret is going through the pain and not being there when they’re better. That’s one of the reasons why I want to stay here. I finally see we’re getting better. We got some great, young guys. I can see we’re headed in the right direction, so I’d like to see the process towards the end.”
Detroit is Bernier’s fifth NHL stop. He appreciates what the organization does for its players.
“Original Six, it’s always special to play for a team like that, lots of history, it’s a great organization,” he said. “The setup we have at the rink is amazing, the way they treat us, and great group of guys. That makes a big difference when you’re having fun at the rink. It’s not every team you feel comfortable with and for me I really like the group of guys here.
If the Red Wings re-sign Bernier – or any of their other UFAs like Luke Glendening (most likely to be re-signed) or Marc Staal – it might not happen until after the July 21 Seattle Kraken expansion draft, to keep them from having to use a protection slot or expose them.
Bernier went 9-11-1, with a 2.99 GAA and .914 save percentage, missing a combined five weeks due to injuries early and later in the season.
He has grown with experience.
“It kind of got to me in Toronto when we were going through the rebuild and lost a lot and all the pressure you put on yourself to win games,” Bernier said. “I think I grew from that point on, and I brought that experience here where I kind of blocked that and played my own game instead of getting frustrated when you lose 2-3 games in a row. I’m a better player because of that, mentally I’m stronger. As you age, you get more mature and know how to deal with situations better.”

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I'd love for him to stay, he's consistently solid on a pretty bad team. He comes at a lower price for a goalie of his talent and if he's happy here, i'm happy to keep him here.

Reactions: golffuul

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I love the idea of resigning him. I think the smart play is sign him after the expansion draft so we can also protect Greiss so we still have a good 1a/1b tandem. UFA season is July 1st, expansion draft is July 21st.
Free agency is July 28th this season due to COVID rescheduling.

NHL confirms key dates for 2020-21 season: Jan. 13 start, free agency (nbcsports.com)

The expansion draft allows Seattle to pick pending UFA players for one week of negotiating rights if they choose to do so (which obviously doesn't make much sense unless there's added incentive) .

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Jonathan Bernier experienced a lot of losing the past three seasons with the Detroit Red Wings. Now he sees the team potentially turning a corner, and he wants to be here for better days.
“My family and I really like it here,” Bernier said. “I feel comfortable at the rink, on the ice, so it would be my No. 1 choice. I definitely would like to stay here.”
There is no reason why the Red Wings wouldn’t want to retain Bernier, an unrestricted free agent, if they can agree on a contract figure and term.
Bernier, who turns 33 on Aug. 7, has been the team’s most valuable player the past two seasons, with a combined record of 24-33-4, a 2.96 goals-against average and .909 save percentage.
Thomas Greiss had a strong finish and has one year remaining on his contract. The Red Wings have no other NHL-ready goalies under contract or in their system. If they don’t re-sign Bernier, they would need to sign for a veteran free agent or trade an asset for proven goalie. They know what they have in Bernier.
Bernier could seek to join a playoff-contending team, but he enjoys the challenge of playing on a rebuilding club. The Red Wings were headed that way when he signed a three-year, $9 million deal in 2018.
“When I signed, I didn’t see (Henrik) Zetterberg retiring that year, but I knew they were going to that (rebuilding) stage,” Bernier said. “It’s a great challenge, as a goalie especially, you can make that rebuild faster if you’re playing well and get some wins.
Detroit is Bernier’s fifth NHL stop. He appreciates what the organization does for its players.
“Original Six, it’s always special to play for a team like that, lots of history, it’s a great organization,” he said. “The setup we have at the rink is amazing, the way they treat us, and great group of guys. That makes a big difference when you’re having fun at the rink. It’s not every team you feel comfortable with and for me I really like the group of guys here.
If the Red Wings re-sign Bernier – or any of their other UFAs like Luke Glendening (most likely to be re-signed) or Marc Staal – it might not happen until after the July 21 Seattle Kraken expansion draft, to keep them from having to use a protection slot or expose them.
Bernier went 9-11-1, with a 2.99 GAA and .914 save percentage, missing a combined five weeks due to injuries early and later in the season.
He has grown with experience.
“It kind of got to me in Toronto when we were going through the rebuild and lost a lot and all the pressure you put on yourself to win games,” Bernier said. “I think I grew from that point on, and I brought that experience here where I kind of blocked that and played my own game instead of getting frustrated when you lose 2-3 games in a row. I’m a better player because of that, mentally I’m stronger. As you age, you get more mature and know how to deal with situations better.”

Bernie says he want to be here towards the end of a rebuild and is excited to see the team next season. How much better does he think they can get? He knows there can be big changes next year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He can't get less than Greiss

Sure he can. Bernier signed his deal 3 years ago and is getting older, so he shouldn't be getting a pay raise in my opinion. He will be 33 by the time his next deal starts, so his current salary or slightly below is what he should get.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Sure he can. Bernier signed his deal 3 years ago and is getting older, so he shouldn't be getting a pay raise in my opinion. He will be 33 by the time his next deal starts, so his current salary or slightly below is what he should get.
He will get at least as Greiss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad