Euro: UEFA to launch UEFA Nations League in 2018

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Scotland get a team they've never played and one that isn't European, how novel.
Israelis aren't particularly stoked either, believe me. Nir Bitton aside.

I still don't actually understand what this tournament is, by the way.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Happy to see friendlies gone, but basically replacing them with another qualifier seems also rather pointless. Could have just added more games to the normal qualifiers?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Is it because the Celtic fans showing solidarity for Palestine a few years ago?
Not related.

No one has any expectation of winning anything, so most fans want to face a glamour side or at least go somewhere for a nice vacation. Scotland or Albania don't quite fit the bill. :laugh:

Reactions: All Might

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Well there's not many "glamor" sides in League C and League C is mostly Eastern European teams too

2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Nations_League_map.svg

League C = green. As you can see pretty much concentrated in the Balkans :D

Reactions: maclean

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As you can see pretty much concentrated in the Balkans :D

And yet no even remotely epic group, such a wasted opportunity. If they call it the "nations league" they should at least have the likes of Serbia and Kosovo or Armenia and Azerbaijan play one another.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
And yet no even remotely epic group, such a wasted opportunity. If they call it the "nations league" they should at least have the likes of Serbia and Kosovo or Armenia and Azerbaijan play one another.

Nothing like giving people who hate each other a pretext to meet up and be violent, am I right?

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I just don't see the glamour in violence but to each their own

He has a habit of making posts that don't grasp the real world.

You can't cross from Kosovo into Serbia unless you have an exit stamp from Serbia. Learned that lesson the hard way during the summer, as did a lot of other travelers.

I can't imagine Armenia and Azerbaijan playing unless its neutral site and closed door. Even then violence will still be expected.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
What are nations in your "real world" if not mutually incompatible artificial identities with vast conflict potential?

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I’m more interested to see if teams actually take this serious and play real football or if it’s basically glorified friendlies. The entire league will rise or fall based on this.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
In Germany's case, it's going to be interesting. Löw may have originally thought he can handle these like glorified friendlies..but with the public atmosphere being what it is now regarding the national team..I dont know if he can afford bad performances in this.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yeah, I think a lot of nations are going to take these games more seriously than their originally planned.

Which only makes it more exciting. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad