UEFA Europa League Qualifying Rounds 2019/20

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Wolves probable should have won by 2 or 3, but a couple breakdowns cost them a bigger advantage.

They still have a 1 goal lead with 3 away goals so they should be in fine shape to make the group stage.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I don't agree to that :D
I think a tie was the only fair result. This game was way more open than I anticipated and really Antwerp did have several good chances as well. Refaelov hitting the post and two big chances just before AZ tied it up as well. Both teams could have scored more and will feel they could have won this game. And because of this I have no clue who's going to win next week. /edit/ also AZ should have gotten a red card at the end with Midtsjo(?) kicking an Antwerp player while he was down. Lucky for him there was no VAR

AZ is a very offensive minded side. Antwerp certainly got their fair share of chances. They are dangerous on the counter and on set pieces with their length and strength, but it felt AZ dictated most of the game and played more organized and attractive football. Antwerp didn't win any sympathy from me, though. Weird foreign legion of players all playing a rough and tumble game. I think De Laet might've been the only Belgium I still recognize from his Leicester days.

Midtsjo didn't kick anyone. It was just a little scuffle. Nothing more. I can't seem to find a replay from it on highlights, so it was probably nothing as I said.

Anyway, these matchups are what Eredivisie teams should encounter more. They all want to play organized, attacking and attractive football but are lacking in efficient and physical football.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Midtsjo didn't kick anyone. It was just a little scuffle. Nothing more. I can't seem to find a replay from it on highlights, so it was probably nothing as I said.

Dutch TV probably just didn't show any replay because it was quite clear

c26jv5P.png

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
They did. Still didn't think enough of it. Could very well be wrong, so I would definitely like to see it again, but it's not even included in the extended highlights.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
PAOK were undefeated in the league, but they're most likely exiting Europe after that last goal. Absolutely amazing strike.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Antwerp dominated AZ for 35 minutes, should have scored already, and then their striker and most experienced player gets 2 incredibly dumb yellow card within two minutes :facepalm:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Suduva with an away goal in Hungary, looking to be the first Lithuanian club in a UEFA group competition

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Copenhagen and Astana hold on to scares and advance. Slovan Bratislava eliminate PAOK on a way goals in what ends an awful Euro season for the Greek champs who don’t even get into the EL

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Antwerp dominated AZ for 35 minutes, should have scored already, and then their striker and most experienced player gets 2 incredibly dumb yellow card within two minutes :facepalm:

Antwerp take the lead on a counter attack, the goalscorer goes to celebrate with the fans and the ref gives him a second yellow as well :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So 15 minutes to go with Antwerp down to 9 players now and AZ having to score at least once to take this to ET

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Celtic win 6-1 on agg and get to group stage. Clown show tactics and defending at home against cluj ensured it was Europa league instead of champions league.

Reactions: sabremike

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
AZ logically finish off Antwerp in ET. This will be really hard to take for Antwerp. They were WAY better 11 vs 11 but then took a dumb red card. Even 10 vs 11 they still didn't give AZ that much and even scored the opening goal. But that 2nd red card was a ridiculous decision by the ref and killed Antwerp.

At least Gent will qualify unless Rijeka manage to score an injury time goal

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Then a weak makeup red against Strasbourg and now everyone is just play acting their injuries because that's how both reds came about. Dumb

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Suduva twice had the away goals advantage but they lose 4:2 in Hungary

Dudelange-Ararat in ET

Despite winning 2:0 in Turkey, AEK Athens are out in away goals in a bad season for Greece

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There's no way that Wolves can pull off a similar season this year, right?

They're playing a full strength starting XI basically twice a week at this point, and it doesn't seem like they're gonna stop in the group stage.

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
Ouch if Man Utd or Arsenal get drawn with Astana, Qarabag and Oleksandriya/Trabzonspor.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
PSV and Feyenoord won with ease. Only watched bits of the AZ game. They didn't play very well, and usually don't vs stronger, more physical teams. Their last minute heroics opened the floodgates vs 9 men, winning 4-1 in the end. I think AZ is way too young, soft and inexperienced to do anything of notice in Europe. They barely created anything vs a 10 and even 9 men Antwerp, but glad all Dutch teams are through. Don't dislike the fact that Antwerp is out, though. Not a team a neutral fan will likely root for.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Roma/Lazio/Sevilla
Celtic
Liege
Lugano/Bratislava/Ferencvaros

would be nice. if we get an easier 1 seed i wudnt mind getting wolves out of pot 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad