Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Political interference in the FA gets you banned quicker from competition in FIFA than racist fans.

While the FA there is almost certainly a haven for corruption and criminal activity...this does smell like a phone call from the government concerned about the embarrassment this caused the country got the ball rolling here.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, that probably solves some of the problem. It's also related to the idea of tossing them out fixing it.

When it comes down to it, the FA in most of these countries are getting paid. Whether that's due to skimming off the top, kickbacks, or you name it. If you put pressure on that money, they'll take steps to fix the problem.

As for the supporters not caring, sure, they might not. But if the FA has financial impetus to screen, ban, and also educate against these actions, they will.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
tenor.gif

Reactions: King 88

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
What's the other 5 percent for? Them qualifying before the playoffs?

Pretty much, I should have just said Iceland are guaranteed minimum playoffs. If all the favorites qualify who are in danger of not (Switzerland & Croatia) then they will basically have to better the likes of Hungary, Israel and Bulgaria in the playoffs. We will know about Switzerland later today, if they don’t beat Ireland they will likely be in Iceland’s path

With Finland’s win it’s now a must win for Bosnia in Greece. While Greece have been awful recently they have had some success against BiH and cost them qualification a couple times

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Which two/three positions do you feel need upgrading the most and with whom? Just curious :)
I guess the spot where De Roon played and Dumfries-Vetlman + Babel-Bergwijn. I don't know exactly who could play there at the moment but for next year it will be important to improve those positions and also on-field leadership.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
So that would be the first time Finland qualifies for a major comptetion? 24 teams helps but still good for them.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
So that would be the first time Finland qualifies for a major comptetion?

Yes it would. "Pasila" is one of the most legendary Finnish TV comedy series of the last 20 years. Eight years ago they had an episode where Finland had a chance of qualifying if they only manage to beat Liechtenstein at home. They naturally lost.

We're pretty close now to a situation where Finland can secure a place at the Euros by beating Liechtenstein at home in November.

Reactions: Pouchkine and Jussi

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Throw them out. I know it sucks for a few fans, but make a statement and punish the federation by limiting their money from the tournaments, and they'll crack down on stupidity.
This is a pretty disgusting new story, but why punish the entire country and players for the work of about 20 or so hooligans? Now those stories about BFA getting raided by officers is sort of troubling, but I'll wait until we find out what they actually found. I just don't see why the players deserve the same punishment as the fans, they should be allowed to compete in the Euros even if it's in front of an empty stadium.

Reactions: Pouchkine

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Just knew Spain would equalize. Good race now for second place in that group. Ireland, Denmark and Switzerland also in dog fight atop their group.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wow. Norway with an equalizer of their own in the 90th gives Sweden some breathing room.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Crazy matchday, Norway help Sweden a bit, but now the question is if Spain will even be seeded anymore in the Euros, it will be tight but every dropped point is crucial. Ireland lost in Switzerland meaning for the 100th time they will face a crucial matchup with Denmark for qualification at stake

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Perfect gamplan by Janne the Goat, just unlucky to not win like we deserved. Brilliant performance, should have been a free kick before the goal. No one comes to Sweden and beats us easially, Italy, France, the Netherlands and Spain all failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad