Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I actually think Schmeichel is a keeper who is rarely talked about but seems to be very good almost every time I see him.

Reactions: Blender

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
England lose their first qualifier of any sort since 2009(!) in a poor effort against the Czechs who now are in the drivers seat to take 2nd place in this group.

It was also the first time the Czech(oslovak) national team has beat England in 44 years. Kind of boggles the mind, as we've had some good teams in that period.

Kind of had a good feeling about this game, what with all the weird karma England was collecting (seemed to be more worried about planning their exact course of action in the case of racist chants then actually planning to win... plus their fans were celebrating Scotland's loss here the night before ;) ). As for the fans, nothing spectacular, just a lot of mess and probably a lot of careworn barkeeps and police officers. There were a few arrests, but those numbers also include some Czech hooligans that evidently also went looking for a fight.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Russia leads 2-0 against Cyprus, most likely they will have 21 pts after this game, Belgium has 24.

The game in St.Petersburg might be interesting, I wonder what the tie breaker is ?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I wonder how much Belgium wants that first place, whether they will play their A squad

It might have an impact in seeding for Euro draw. Russia probably needs it more, they are still trying to climb out of that deep ranking hole that the previous generation left them.

Reactions: Pouchkine

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Euro 2020 seeding is completely based off these qualifiers (unlike the past which used a coefficient system using three qualifying cycles) so its better to win your group if you want to be in Pot 1

Anyway, Russia officially join Belgium and Italy at Euro 2020, the group winner will be determined next month in St. Petersburg with Belgium only needing a draw while Russia will need to better the 3:1 loss in Belgium. Important win for the Dutch too, if they win in Belfast next MD they are in, they can even afford to lose by one goal there as long as they beat Estonia and hope NIR don't get a result in Germany. Hungary were very close to being eliminated, Azerbaijan had a goal disallowed in the 93rd minute, they live on

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Stop with the useless stats this ain't baseball, basketball or football.
What does what you are saying here have to do with anything and how are these stats ‘useless’? You’re definitely not in any position to tell anyone what they can or can’t post on a message board for soccer nor are you any kind of authority on what is or isn’t of use.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Euro 2020 seeding is completely based off these qualifiers (unlike the past which used a coefficient system using three qualifying cycles) so its better to win your group if you want to be in Pot 1

Interesting, I didn't know that. So all the group winners are placed in pot 1?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Oranje with another tough game to watch as they had trouble cracking Belarus' stingy, park the buss style defense. Wijnaldum came through big time today, especially that second screamer - wow. Van Dijk and De Ligt had some shaky moments, but both also had a few great reads. I thought van de Beek wasn't involved as much as he'd like. Veltman at RB wasn't a succes. Not any more so than Dumfries is. The rest was all pretty meh.

Ah well, three points. Usually Oranje fans are unsatisfied when it wasn't pretty, but I just want to qualify first before I am concerned about that these days.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Interesting, I didn't know that. So all the group winners are placed in pot 1?

The six with the highest amount of points (results against the 6th team in the groups don’t count). Still not sure if Portugal is an automatic seed, usually defending champions are but doesn’t appear anymore

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Slow Can being sent off makes it harder for Germany, not only in this match but in the group as well if they fail to win this match. But they still have two home games, and Northern Ireland and Dutch still play each other.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wales score before HT but clear foul on Kovacic, both Lovren and Vida suspended for what could be a crucial qualifier against Slovakia

though some will say Wales should have gotten a penalty earlier

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Can is a clown. I remember how much flak I used to get for not wanting him at Liverpool. Blegh.

A win is a win but it could certainly be a lot nicer. Best midfielder from the Netherlands comes through clutch again. ;)

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
What does what you are saying here have to do with anything and how are these stats ‘useless’? You’re definitely not in any position to tell anyone what they can or can’t post on a message board for soccer nor are you any kind of authority on what is or isn’t of use.
Useless Stats are for people who don't understand the game or don't watch them.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Group C
Belarus - Netherlands 1:2
Estonia - Germany 0:3

Important win for the Dutch while Germany win despite playing majority of the match with 10 men. Situation is Netherlands (15), Germany (15), NIR (12) with Northern Ireland still playing both Netherlands (H) and Germany (A) but they likely need to win both matches or at least one of them by multiple goals and hope for some crazy results. In reality, both Germany and Netherlands should qualify but its important to note the Dutch have the better H2H over Germany so they would win the group should they be on equal points

Group E
Hungary - Azerbaijan 1:0
Wales - Croatia 1:1

Hungary kept their hopes alive as the referee disallowed an Azeri goal in the 93rd minute, Wales get a crucial point at home to Croatia and know two wins in the final two matches (Azerbaijan A, Hungary H) will likely be enough to qualify. This group has so many calculations its crazy. The simple scenario is Croatia will win the group with a win/draw at home to Slovakia, but they will be without their starting CB pair and Modric left the field with an injury. Even if Croatia lose they can qualify, as long as its not by 4 goals + Wales don't lose to Hungary. Hungary will certainly qualify with a win in Wales, their only match remaining, with a draw they will rely on other results. Slovakia (Croatia A, Azerbaijan H) need two wins or with 4 points can qualify with a Wales-Hungary draw. Wales need two wins and must hope Croatia don't lose to Slovakia :popcorn:

Group G
Poland - Macedonia 2:0
Slovenia - Austria 0:1
Israel - Latvia (Tuesday)

Poland have qualified for their 4th consecutive Euros but need one more win to secure 1st place. Austria just about there, need one more win as well with winnable games Macedonia (H) and Latvia (A). In this group only Macedonia have a secure playoff spot, Israel will likely get one if there are no surprises in the other groups

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s not that different than the hockey analytics. They could be a good tool to aid in analysis for things that may not be obvious on the surface but without the context of of visuals, they are often times misleading as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad