Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Wijnaldum had 3 of the best chances in a time where the team weren't really creating anything and there was no space to work with, and he mostly had to work with Blind/Babel who were absolute black holes in the game today. He did absolutely fine in the context of this game. People have weird expectations of world class players sometimes (IMO of course).

Wijnaldum played way too neutral this game. He's right there with those who were graded the lowest by all pundits, just when it seemed as if he was on the upswing in Oranje. He's had a good little stretch, but yesterday was the same old Wijnaldum, whom didn't really add anything of significance. I hope it was just an incident, as I was beginning to become much more of a fan. Otherwise I wouldn't hate a midfield with Blind at the #6 instead and have Aké at LB, though I expect Wijnaldum to rebound and lock up the #6 alongside Frenkie.

Reactions: Pouchkine

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Netherlands should use this lineup:

Cillessen
Blind - Ligt - Dijk - Dest
Wijnaldum - Jong - Donny
Bergwijn - Depay - Malen

Might be too early for Dest, but no denying he has world class skill-set. Maybe Vrij or Veltman instead. Dumfries is mediocre.
Dumfries and Karsdorp are the two best RBs currently for the Oranje, and Blind is just very lacking in a necessary skillset to be a top end wingback. Given de Ligt and de Vrij's current form it wouldn't be a stretch to give de Vrij a chance at that spot either. If I were setting up the team I'd probably go:

Cillessen
Karsdorp - de Vrij - van Dijk - Willems
de Jong
Wijnaldum - van de Beek
Promes - Malen - Memphis
Though I also think it would be worth experimenting with Wijnaldum in the 6 and de Jong a little further up with his incisive dribbling (see the 3rd goal from yesterday). Willems when healthy is the best option on the left but I'd also take van Aanholt there over Blind, who does a better job as a midfielder/central defender than out wide. Otherwise both Bergwijn and Stengs should rotate in as well.

Wijnaldum played way too neutral this game. He's right there with those who were graded the lowest by all pundits, just when it seemed as if he was on the upswing in Oranje. He's had a good little stretch, but yesterday was the same old Wijnaldum, whom didn't really add anything of significance. I hope it was just an incident, as I was beginning to become much more of a fan. Otherwise I wouldn't hate a midfield with Blind at the #6 instead and have Aké at LB, though I expect Wijnaldum to rebound and lock up the #6 alongside Frenkie.

Blind is not even close to Wijnaldum's level. At this point it just feels like nitpicking because you want to big up the guys you like or you have it out for Gini. He's the best and most versatile midfielder on the team, and played fine yesterday (again, being one of the more incisive players on the team when the team was sorely lacking before the last 20 or so minutes against a team parking the bus).

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Dumfries and Karsdorp are the two best RBs currently for the Oranje, and Blind is just very lacking in a necessary skillset to be a top end wingback. Given de Ligt and de Vrij's current form it wouldn't be a stretch to give de Vrij a chance at that spot either. If I were setting up the team I'd probably go:

Cillessen
Karsdorp - de Vrij - van Dijk - Willems
de Jong
Wijnaldum - van de Beek
Promes - Malen - Memphis
Though I also think it would be worth experimenting with Wijnaldum in the 6 and de Jong a little further up with his incisive dribbling (see the 3rd goal from yesterday). Willems when healthy is the best option on the left but I'd also take van Aanholt there over Blind, who does a better job as a midfielder/central defender than out wide. Otherwise both Bergwijn and Stengs should rotate in as well.

Forgot about Karsdorp. He should fight with Dest and Dumfries, but I expect Dest to suit the team needs the most.
Willems shouldn't get a call up. I don't think there's a player with a lower (football) IQ out there. I want him far away from the National team. Aké, de Vrij and Blind are all better options there, even though neither are natural left-backs. Heck, I'd try Promes at LB before I would call up Willems. Van Aanholt is also a good one to try out there as well. Very all-round and underrated back, especially in the Netherlands.

Mathijs de Ligt has had a few rough games, but he's still miles above De Vrij. Aside from his part in the screw-up with Blind and Cillessen, who once again proved his mediocrity, I thought he had a decent game. De Ligt in form isn't much less than van Dijk is, if at all, so he needs the minutes to reach that form again. He's already shown glimpses of his Ajax form lately.

Blind is not even close to Wijnaldum's level.

Well, they play different positions. If you compare Wijnaldum to Blind as #6's, than yes, Wijnaldum is better. Blind is a CB however and a mighty fine one at that. I think he's a better CB than Wijnaldum is a CM. Blind at LB isn't all that impressive, so don't let his Oranje days color the picture for you. His lack of pace is obvious there and his build up skills are pretty much wasted playing on the sidelines.

At this point it just feels like nitpicking because you want to big up the guys you like or you have it out for Gini. He's the best and most versatile midfielder on the team, and played fine yesterday (again, being one of the more incisive players on the team when the team was sorely lacking before the last 20 or so minutes against a team parking the bus).

I am Dutch. I want the best possible team and results. I could care less about their clubs or history. Once they don the orange I watch the game objectively. I don't have it out for Wijnaldum at all. Why would I? I just don't share your enthusiasm, which I do like and respect. And calling him the best midfielder on a team which has Frenkie de Jong on it just proving how you go way overboard in your enthusiasm. I think if van de Beek continues his strong season, I might prefer him as well.

When everyone is in perfect form, I'd rate my preferred Oranje line up:

1) Van Dijk
2) De Jong
3) De Ligt
4) Depay
5a) Wijnaldum
5b) Blind
6) Malen
7) van de Beek
8) Bergwijn
9) Cillessen
10) Karsdorp/Dumfries/Tete, etc.

And I bet it's the consensus over here, maybe some minor changes from 6-9.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Stengs once again proving he should've been called up for the men's team. He just dominated Portugal U21 with a goal, two assists and a got Oranje a penalty to boot. His two assists were on Boadu of course. :thumbu:

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
1-1 at HT. Kane penalty after Sterling was tripped. Brabec equalised from a corner. Rice slipped and Keane lost his man.

Poor from England. Czechs better team since England scored. Their front four boxing Henderson and Rice in. England struggling to string passes together. Mount playing very close to Kane.

Reactions: czechcanadian

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Beautiful chip from Ronaldo puts Portugal up 2-0 in the 66th minute in Luxembourg. They’ve been frustrated from the home side so far with Luxembourg even having some nice spells of possession.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Group A
Czech Rep - England 2:1
Montenegro - Bulgaria 0:0

England lose their first qualifier of any sort since 2009(!) in a poor effort against the Czechs who now are in the drivers seat to take 2nd place in this group. The Czechs host Kosovo and go to Bulgaria on the final day, they know a win against Kosovo will be enough. Bulgaria and Montenegro still without a win

Group B
Portugal - Luxembourg 3:0
Ukraine - Lithuania 2:0

Two expected home wins; Ukraine only need a point to secure qualification but they have two tough games, at home to Portugal then on the final MD go to Serbia. Portugal still have work to do but if they can get a result in Kiev on Monday then they should be fine.

Group H
Andorra - Moldova 1:0
Iceland - France 0:1
Turkey - Albania 1:0

France get the minimal win but Turkey remain on top (on H2H) as they needed another late winner to beat Albania this time. France host Turkey on Monday and essentially the winner of that will qualify, even a draw should be good enough for both teams. Iceland with no room for error and with a trip to Turkey still to come next month. Andorra pick up their first ever Euro qualifying victory, only their third ever competitive win in history

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Well deserved win for Czech Rep. England changed back to 4-3-3 in the second half but it didn't make much difference, still struggled passing up the pitch.

Not sure why Keane and Rose are starting, Gomez, Tomori even Smalling are better than Keane. Rose is way past his best. Henderson and Rice were crap too. Midfield is crying out for technical ability but Winks can't get a look in.

We have plenty of AM's coming through but no DM's. Rice is promising but is only starting because of the lack of options. Dier is crap, Cook's only had 180 minutes since his ligament injury. That's it.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ireland held to a draw in Tbilisi in one of the most boring matches you'll see, Georgia didn't have a shot on target, Ireland did no better, few half chances. Not the worst result for Ireland but they face their two direct rivals in the next matches (Switzerland away and then Denmark home). With either Swiss/Denmark dropping points later today it looks like a win in either game will be enough for them

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
After a couple of lackluster days today is a day with some very important matches with big implications

Kicking off in an hour is Denmark-Switzerland, both teams trailing Ireland at this point, but the Swiss will have a game in hand regardless of the result today and a favorable fixture list. It's not really a decider, but if the Swiss lose they have a lot of pressure on them to beat Ireland at home Tuesday

In Group F its really the last chance for Norway who need at least a point at home to Spain, anything less and they are practically out with Romania and Sweden having winnable fixtures

Group J is a group where every match is of some importance; first Italy host a demoralized Greece and a win will be enough to qualify. BiH-Finland is a huge match, if the Finns win in Zenica they are practically in, for BiH its a must win match and even so they probably will need to win by at least 2 goals because of the h2h tiebreak. Even Liechtenstein-Armenia is important for Armenia, if Finland lose and Armenia win they will be joint 2nd with the two facing each other in Turku next MD (however, Armenia still go to Italy in November so its a difficult task regardless)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Good start for the Swiss, Xhaka hit the crossbar with Schmeichel getting a finger to his shot

Tight call in Zenica as Bosnia has a goal disallowed for offside, no VAR in qualifying, looked like a bad call, if it was offside it was by millimeters

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Denmark win after a fantastic pass by Eriksen, Switzerland deserved more but didn’t finish their chances. Switzerland now must beat Ireland on Tuesday

Finland hammered in Bosnia and lose their H2H advantage over them should it come to that. BiH have the harder fixtures on paper so not all lost for Finland

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Group D
Georgia - Rep of Ireland 0:0
Denmark - Switzerland 1:0

Late win for Denmark despite being outplayed for most of the first half, Ireland get a point in Georgia is an ultra boring game. Ireland still on top due to H2H over Denmark but they go to Switzerland on Tuesday which now becomes a must win game for Switzerland if they want to finish in the top 2 (they do have NL playoff backup)

Group F
Faroe Islands - Romania 0:3
Malta - Sweden 0:4
Norway - Spain 1:1

Massive point for Norway who score with literally the final kick of the game as they won a penalty in the 93rd minute. Spain will still win this group but the fight for 2nd is very much up for grabs between three teams. Sweden are currently 2nd but their next two fixtures are crucial (Spain H, Romania A), Romania have the toughest fixtures but their matches against the direct rivals are home (Norway H, Sweden H, Spain A). Norway have the easiest of the fixtures but they must get something in Bucharest to have a shot

Group J
Bosnia - Finland 4:1
Italy - Greece 2:0
Liechtenstein - Armenia 1:1

Italy join Belgium to qualify with three games to spare, remaining perfect. The big winners today was Bosnia who are back in the race for 2nd and now have the H2H advantage over Finland while Armenia also dropped points. BiH however still has difficult fixtures, Greece (A) and Italy (H) are their next two matches, while the Italians already qualified they are still tough to beat. The result of Finland-Armenia will likely 'eliminate' one of them from contention on Tuesday. Based on fixtures, Finland have the "easier" route playing both Armenia and Liechtenstein at home before going to Greece on the final day who will have nothing to play for.

Playoffs
Scotland (C), Georgia (D) and Belarus (D) eliminated from direct qualification contention but have their playoff spot secured in their respective groups

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Those green Italy jerseys are amazing, I'm happy to see them rejoining the tournament this coming summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad